Foam Flies 2008

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Sure, just thought it would be fun to repeat the Foamer Fly thing each year. You know...07...08. But How about a "yellow sally" swap. spring is coming and everybody tyes and uses some variation of the "YS" everywhere.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Maybe something a bit broader, say a dry fly or soft hackle swap? Let me know what is decided and you can most likely count me in.
Thanks,
Terry

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Terry, I think that is a good idea. That gives the tyer a chance to send their best fly in a certain type.

aroostookbasser, for the same reason if we specify a Yellow what ever some tyers may not be able to tye one. Lets give tyers of all levels a chance to participate. A fly swap should not be just for expert tyers.

Maybe I am wrong so lets hear from other members who might participate.

Frank

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi fyshstykr,

I don't think a fly swap should be about quality. You may tye a very ugly fly that catches fish. If I received a fly and liked the design I could tye my own at what ever quality I want. Joni recently posted a big old flat fly that was weird but after seeing it I think I might want some. It had a great profile and that is much more important than the quality of the tye. Not to say that the Joni fly was not a quality tye. Just using it as an example.

Frank

Joni

Reaction score
Frank you sweet talker, you notice I pick flies for the tutorial that are really hard to see what I am doing....there is a reason LOL

I am in, don't forget Chironomids, anyone can tie them and they are a 3/4 year food source.
I also like the soft hackle idea.

shorthaul

Reaction score
I might be able to contribute---whats a chironomid?---just joking---i saw them when i fished hoppers, streamers and nymphs fishing the Delores (my only trip out west)

most of my stuff for trout were mayfly hatches in Pa and Michigan---now its about 80% saltwater--10% steelhead---10% everything else

Joni

Reaction score
Can we try for this later in year after wetfly swap is over?

Right on! Got to the pond for an hour today and used my Gartside Gurgler in Olive and was catching every cast. I was using a 4wt with WET CELL II line and about a 4' leader. Cast, count to 20 and start stripping real slow with long and short strips....I LOVE THIS FLY!

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I am in for the foam flys if we do it.. I tie a great foam spider with peacock that I know catches fish for sure. so count me in later and dibs on the siize 12 hi vis foam spider in black and peacock!!! :wink:

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Hey guys......lets consider having another swap. Combining dual themes, Foam and terrestrials. ??????

I have 12 jassids waiting....... any takers? Joni??? Are you up to another one for lets say 5/1 deadline.

Joni

Reaction score
Sounds great, but I have to decline. It is getting into Guiding season (in fact it is already here) and I am busy tying for clients now. Sorry.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
6 done here of my foam hi-vis spider with peacock underbody! they are looking good! I have confidence in this fly. its prolly my favorite to use when I am out there.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I am off tomorrow with nothing to do. just listening to music , drinkn some beers and am up to 9 already! spiders that is... I will catch up in beers tho. haha. whos the swapmeister??? lets get these details down.