Swap #2 for 2014: Deer Hair!

dean_mt

Reaction score
Fly tiers of all skill levels are invited to participate in this swap.

The only qualification is that the pattern you tie must prominently feature deer hair. Buck tail and elk hair are both OK, as one if from a deer and the other is a closely related cousin.

From compara duns to bucktail streamers, spun hair poppers (that would be cool!) to Goddard caddis and anything in between. Deer hair is a vitally important material in flies of all styles, wet and dry. I think we can create a really cool selection of diverse flies with this.

Open to 13 participants, that includes me, so everyone will tie 12 flies. I expect this to fill up by the weekend so we'll call February 10 the official start date and go for four weeks. All flies must be in my hands by March 10, 2014.

I will be tying either a Bucktail streamer OR a Turk's tarantula variant, haven't decided which direction to go. But I am urging everyone to consider your pattern when signing up, it may help others decide what to make.

1. tail of the pool: Muddy Muddler ... RECIEVED
2. itchmesir: WITHDRAWN
3. bear 007: Muddler....RECIEVED
4. calftail: Jacklin Salmonfly...RECIEVED
5. JoJer: Stimi....RECIEVED
6. Boz: perch bucktail...RECIEVED
7. von behr: bucktail original
8. chased: big pig monstrosity
9. baseman1: green butt black buck streamer...RECIEVED
10. hokiehunter: crittermite ... RECEIVED
11. Mudbug: Humpy…..RECIEVED
12. horsehead: Haystack...RECEIVED

Last edited:

bear 007

Reaction score
I'm in, I've got muddlers on the mind too, either an Mummichog Muddler or an Olive Marabou Muddler, I'll have to do some experimenting this weekend.

calftail

Reaction score
I'll join in.....

How 'bout a muddler with an attitude....j/k

Put me in for a "Jacklin Salmonfly"

dean_mt

Reaction score
As a fan of you posted flies, I'm glad you could make it, calftail.

jgentile, we're glad to have you too.

tpo

Reaction score
If you still have room, count me in. I really like tying deer hair flies, and bass bugs are my favorite, so I'll contribute a couple of bugs: deer hair popper, diver, and/or slider. I'm not familiar with how this works, so somebody has to fill me in.

Tom

dean_mt

Reaction score
Hey Tom, heres the deal. You tie one dozen of your chosen pattern and mail them to me. Its best to send your flies in decent container (Altoid tins are popular, but a small deli container works or whatever will keep your flies from being crushed). You also shall include a return envelope that your container will fit it, self addressed and with adequate postage.

Once I receive all the flies, by March 10, I will split them up so that everyone gets one fly from each tyer and mail your new dozen back to you in the container they arrived in.

I participated in a handful before hosting a couple last year. Its a fun wintertime distraction.

Welcome aboard!

itchmesir

Reaction score
If you still have room, count me in. I really like tying deer hair flies, and bass bugs are my favorite, so I'll contribute a couple of bugs: deer hair popper, diver, and/or slider. I'm not familiar with how this works, so somebody has to fill me in.

Tom
Pick a pattern and tie 12 of them. Ship to swapmeister with $2 or self paid envelope. Any more questions refer to the original post.

tpo

Reaction score
OK, got it. Given that its a dozen flies I'll probably mix in some other patterns, like marabou muddlers, deer hair bluegill, etc. Looking forward to it, I've got some work to do!

Tom

Hey Tom, heres the deal. You tie one dozen of your chosen pattern and mail them to me. Its best to send your flies in decent container (Altoid tins are popular, but a small deli container works or whatever will keep your flies from being crushed). You also shall include a return envelope that your container will fit it, self addressed and with adequate postage.

Once I receive all the flies, by March 10, I will split them up so that everyone gets one fly from each tyer and mail your new dozen back to you in the container they arrived in.

I participated in a handful before hosting a couple last year. Its a fun wintertime distraction.

Welcome aboard!

dean_mt

Reaction score
Tom, one of the general rules of all swaps is that each player contributes all of the same fly. As mentioned above the idea is that everyone gets the same set of flies.

I kind of figured that maybe you weren't sure when you offered poppers, that would be a mighty task I imagine.

So if you can decide on one pattern let me know what it is, but if its not what you expected and don't want to commit, no worries.

tpo

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be honest, it takes me a while to tie a deer hair bug, and I'll be gone most of early March, so tying a dozen identical bugs in time is going to be a challenge. If its not breaking the rules, I can contribute a dozen bugs, but they will be mixed divers/poppers (different color combo's mostly) I've accumulated over time. Let me know if that's OK, if not no problem, apologies for jumping in before I know what I'm getting into.

Tom