Streamer Fly Swap, Fall 2014

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
We haven't had a fly swap since last May so I'm throwing this out to see if we have enough members interested in doing a fly swap and would like to tie up some streamers. The flies are due into me by Saturday, January 10, 2015, that should give everyone enough time to still enjoy the holidays and at the same time be able to complete their streamers.
Note: This fly swap is now full, thanks for everyone that joined, I can't wait to see the streamers you guys and gals come up with.

For those of you that haven't participated in a swap and are curious in how it works. We normally will limit the number of participants to 12 tiers, each tier will tie 12 flies (the pattern is your choice as long as it is the category that everyone decides on, for example, streamers), then put paper toe tags on each fly to identify the fly name and/or tier. Then send the flies in a "padded" envelope to me with a couple dollars to help cover return postage or include a self addressed envelope with postage already included. Once I have everyone's flies, I will distribute one fly from each tier to all the participants so in the end you will receive 12 flies back (one from each of the other tiers, plus one of yours). I hope that makes sense. Also, please do not send in used flies, believe it or not, we had that happen in the past. Normally, tiers will send their flies in a small container like an Altoid tin box or something similar to protect the flies. Also, please post up a recipe of your streamer when you have completed the swap, I will use that to start another post with all the recipes/photos, thanks!

List of those interested in a swap:
1. Cowger10......Conehead Purple and brown buggers......flies have been received!
2. Jloncar......Black and red streamer......flies have been received!
3. Pjcalla......flies have been received!
4. Jgentile......Gartside soft hackle streamer......flies have been received!
5. Slips74......"Chili Pepper" Bugger in #8......flies have been received!
6. Paddy5......Irish Shrimp pattern......flies have been received!
7. Hokiehunter07......Olive bunny likely in size 6......flies have been received!
8. Ia_trouter......Simi-seal Leech......flies have been received!
9. Iaflygirl......Marabou Streamer or Bunny Leech......flies have been received!
10. Brownieguy......Bottoms up jig......flies have been received!
11. Dean_mt......Brahma Bugger......flies have been received!
12. Williamhj......Slump buster......flies have been received!

Here are the photos and recipes from last year's streamer swaps (we had a round one and two), that should give everyone some ideas on what they might like to tie up:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...7734-streamer-swap-round-one-fall-2013-a.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...7735-streamer-swap-round-two-fall-2013-a.html

Last edited:

cowger10

Reaction score
Larry
I'd be interested in doing a swap. I have never done on before. It does not matter to me what we tie.

L

Liphookedau

I'm game. No dry flies tho ( i am terrible at tying dries)
A Fly Swap is a good way to learn to Tie your Dries.

Larry I'll wait as I'd like to see all the New Members join in however I'll join if needed..
Brian

pjcalla

Reaction score
I'm in, assuming you guys can put up with a beginner. I just started this fall, and have been focusing on big streamers for smallies. I have had a salmon take one of my eggs I tied...hahaha. I guess, if it's streamers, and you guys dont mind a newbie, I'm game.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, I updated the top post with three members that have indicated they want to participate, any others interested?

dean_mt

Reaction score
It is getting to that time of the year isn't it? Good idea Larry, I was wondering when you might kick it off. I'm not ready to jump in yet...

jgentile

Reaction score
Larry,

I'm in. I'll tie whatever is needed.

Someone else already said it , but swap is a great way to develop/hone/elevate your skills. It kind of forces one to really, really look closely at their work.

paddy5

Reaction score
I would like to take part, if you will have me? am in Ireland, but will Paypal gift Mcnerney the cost of carriage if that is acceptable, have no preference as to the brief, but would be interested in seeing some of your regional ties.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I would like to take part, if you will have me? am in Ireland, but will Paypal gift Mcnerney the cost of carriage if that is acceptable, have no preference as to the brief, but would be interested in seeing some of your regional ties.
Sounds great!

dc410

Reaction score
Larry,

I have some interest in this swap but I never participated in one on this forum. What kind of timeframe do you generally set for the flies to be delivered to you after you have confirmed enough interest to carry on? It's a busy time of year approaching.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Larry,

I have some interest in this swap but I never participated in one on this forum. What kind of timeframe do you generally set for the flies to be delivered to you after you have confirmed enough interest to carry on? It's a busy time of year approaching.
Once we have even tiers signed up and everyone agrees on the type of fly, we usually will give 4-6 weeks to have the flies completed and delivered to me. If your getting into your busy year I would suggest not volunteering for the swap and maybe waiting until you have more time.

slips74

Reaction score
Maybe we should decide on the type flies now so other potential tiers can decide to join or not.

Since Winter is closing in on us, I'd like to see Midges or Winter Nymphs. I won't be offended if the swap goes for streamers or dries, I'll just man up & tie! :weight_li

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I guess it's probably time to accept the fact winter is here and get the tying gear out. I would be most interested in streamers. I want to share the simi-seal leeches I have had so much luck with this season under the right conditions. My dry flies are not ready for primetime. :)