Nymphs: First Fly Swap for 2015

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The first fly swap for 2015 will be for tying nymphs of your choice. Lets shoot for having the flies completed and delivered to me by Saturday, February 28, 2015.

For those of you that haven't participated in a swap and are curious in how it works: We normally will limit the number of participants to 12 tiers, each tier will tie 12 flies (the pattern is your choice as long as it is the category that everyone decides on, in this case nymphs). Upon completion, put paper toe tags on each fly to identify the fly name and/or tier. Then send the flies in a "padded" envelope to me with a couple dollars to help cover return postage or include a self addressed envelope with postage already included. Once I have everyone's flies, I will distribute one fly from each tier to all the participants so in the end you will receive 12 flies back (one from each of the other tiers, plus one of yours). I hope that makes sense. Also, please do not send in used flies, believe it or not, we had that happen in the past. Normally, tiers will send their flies in a small container like an Altoid tin box or something similar to protect the flies. Also, please post up a recipe of your nymph when you have completed the swap, I will use that to start another post with all the recipes/photos, thanks!

Please note that this fly swap is now full, here is a list of those in the fly swap:
1. S_fontinalis.......Hare and copper size 14......Flies have been received!
2. Slips74......Hobgoblin Nymph in size 12......Flies have been received!
3. Hokiehunter07......20 Incher Stonefly nymph, size 12 3xl curved nymph hook......Flies have been received!
4. Honyuk96......Sparrow......Flies have been received!
5. Stenacron......Prince Nymph Variant, size 12......Flies have been received!
6. Ia_trouter......Whitlock Red Fox Squirrel......Flies have been received!
7. Itchmesir......Beadhead soft hackled pheasant tail......Flies have been received!
8. Troutma99......Bead head serendipity variation......Flies have been received!
9. Gramps50......Green Weenie size 12......Flies have been received!
10. Realispatt......Micro May size 18......Flies have been received!
11. Tamster321......Trigger nymph, size 12......Flies have been received!
12. Fireroad......Double Standard, size 16

Last edited:

honyuk96

Reaction score
If you guys are ok w a noob, I'm in. Put me down for a Sparrow, a good all purpose nymph that will probably work in everyone's home waters.

Last edited:

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
I'm probably going to do a stonefly nymph of some sort. Probably on a size 12 3xl curved nymph hook.

troutma99

Reaction score
I haven't done a swap before, but would love to try it out. I'll tie a size 16 bead head serendipity variation.

itchmesir

Reaction score
#14 Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail Nymph

Hook - Allen S402 #14
Bead - 2.5mm gold brass
Thread - utc 140, red
Wire - Ultrawire, Gold BR
Tail - pheasant tail fibers, natural
Abdomen - pheasant tail fibers, natural
Thorax - strung peacock herl
Hackle - Hen Saddle, speckled brown

gramps50

Reaction score
I'll have some time to practice so if you don't mind another noob I'm in for a Green Weenie size 12.

This will give me an excuse to buy materials. ;-)

king joe

Reaction score
The first fly swap for 2015 will be for tying nymphs of your choice. Lets shoot for having the flies completed and delivered to me by Saturday, February 28, 2015.

For those of you that haven't participated in a swap and are curious in how it works: We normally will limit the number of participants to 12 tiers, each tier will tie 12 flies (the pattern is your choice as long as it is the category that everyone decides on, in this case nymphs). Upon completion, put paper toe tags on each fly to identify the fly name and/or tier. Then send the flies in a "padded" envelope to me with a couple dollars to help cover return postage or include a self addressed envelope with postage already included. Once I have everyone's flies, I will distribute one fly from each tier to all the participants so in the end you will receive 12 flies back (one from each of the other tiers, plus one of yours). I hope that makes sense. Also, please do not send in used flies, believe it or not, we had that happen in the past. Normally, tiers will send their flies in a small container like an Altoid tin box or something similar to protect the flies. Also, please post up a recipe of your nymph when you have completed the swap, I will use that to start another post with all the recipes/photos, thanks!

List of those interested in a nymph fly swap:
1. S_fontinalis.......Hare and copper size 14
2. Slips74......Hobgoblin Nymph in size 12
3. Hokiehunter07......Stonefly nymph, size 12 3xl curved nymph hook
4. Honyuk96......Sparrow
5. Stenacron......Prince Nymph Variant, size 12
6. Ia_trouter......Whitlock Red Fox Squirrel
7. Itchmesir......Beadhead soft hackled pheasant tail
8. Troutma99......Bead head serendipity variation
9. Gramps50......Green Weenie size 12
10. Realispatt......Micro May size 18
Got excited when I saw this...then not (my 'old' boxes are full of 10s and smaller). WANT to be part of a swap....don't need little nymphs anymore. How about the next swap...'we' do a Steelhead Nymph/wetlfy swap?

King Joe Outa Here!

tamster321

Reaction score
Count me in!! I haven't decided what to tie yet but I will let you know soon! It feels good to be back!!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Count me in!! I haven't decided what to tie yet but I will let you know soon! It feels good to be back!!
Ok, I have you down!

That only leaves one spot left, if anyone else is considering getting in on the nymph fly swap you better not delay.

ia_trouter

Reaction score

Allen S403 #12 3XL Streamer/Nymph hook
Allen 3.2mm Brass Bead
Thorax Dave Whitlock SLF Color #1
Abdomen Dave Whitlock SLF #2
Gold ribbing, size small or brassie
Tail-flash, whatever you have is fine IMO

All 12 tied now but I am sure I will tie a couple more and cull the ones I don't like as well. Never tied a fly that has a bad hair day as easy as these when you lay them flat for a pic. :)