Steelhead Fly Swap 2015

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
King Joe has expressed an interest in holding a steelhead fly pattern fly swap, so I'm putting this out there to see if we have enough interest in holding a steelhead fly swap. We would be looking at having the flies completed and in to me by Saturday, Feb 28, 2015. Looks like the steelhead fly swap is a go, thanks goes to King Joe for getting this one going.

The Steelhead fly swap is now full, the tiers are as follows:

1. King Joe......Hot-Headed Hares-Ear nymph......Flies have been received!
2. Mridenour......Comet Variation......Flies have been received!
3. S_fontinalis......Green Butt Skunks......Flies have been received!
4. Honyuk96......Emerald shiner variant......Flies have been received!
5. Lake_Flyer......Intruder style fly......Flies have been received!
6. Pjcalla......Petticoat Streamer......Flies have been received!
7. Brownieguy......Babine Special
8. Itchmesir......Size 6 John Barr Bouface......Flies have been received!
9. Repperson29......Blood dots......Flies have been received!
10. Theboz......Orwell Creek......Flies have been received!
11. Sumojo......Flatwing Steelhead Fly......Flies have been received!
12. Kayo......Steelhead October Caddis Wet fly......Flies have been received!

Last edited:

honyuk96

Reaction score
I'm surprised to see this not generating much interest. If it does take off, I'll play. I would even propose a mini swap maybe tying several patterns for a smaller number of tyers ?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see this not generating much interest. If it does take off, I'll play. I would even propose a mini swap maybe tying several patterns for a smaller number of tyers ?
Not to worry, it has only been open for less than a day. It usually, takes 1-2 weeks before a fly swap will fill up and then another week or two will go by and we will get posts like "How did I miss this one, if I'd seen it I would have joined in". I have you down, if it doesn't fill up I will ask the people that responded if they are willing to do the swap with just the number that indicated they wanted in, so either way it should go.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to be in this one even if Eunan is tying. Don't be too hard on me when my ties don't measure up to his. They'll catch fish even if they aren't worth framing...lol. Can't wait to see what everyone ties up.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to be in this one even if Eunan is tying. Don't be too hard on me when my ties don't measure up to his. They'll catch fish even if they aren't worth framing...lol. Can't wait to see what everyone ties up.
Mike: No worries, Dewayne came up with a great idea on the nymph fly swap, Eunan has to tie his flies while wearing a catchers mitt, to even the playing field. :D:D

honyuk96

Reaction score
Not to worry, it has only been open for less than a day. It usually, takes 1-2 weeks before a fly swap will fill up and then another week or two will go by and we will get posts like "How did I miss this one, if I'd seen it I would have joined in". I have you down, if it doesn't fill up I will ask the people that responded if they are willing to do the swap with just the number that indicated they wanted in, so either way it should go.
Ok cool. So being a new guy around here, I have a question before I pick up a few materials. Generally speaking are guys ok w shanks ? That's what I'd like to tie for this. Thanks.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok cool. So being a new guy around here, I have a question before I pick up a few materials. Generally speaking are guys ok w shanks ? That's what I'd like to tie for this. Thanks.
I'm assuming your are talking about using articulated shanks for building an articulated streamer, if so I see no problem with that.
Like this: Articulated Shank

honyuk96

Reaction score
Sorry Larry, maybe my question wasn't so clear. I don't intend to tie an articulated fly, rather a fly on a shank w a stinger hook. I grabbed a few materials this afternoon, so I hope this will be acceptable for this swap. The flies I submit will come with a Daiichi stinger and if folks want to change hooks out for their favorites, so be it. Again, I'm just a noob to this site and don't want to disappoint for my first couple of swaps. I just looked at the link you provided and yes, I will be tying on similar shanks, but not articulated flies.

pjcalla

Reaction score
Somehow I missed the nymph swap, but count me in for this one. I'm a noob, so I'll be doing some research to figure out a pattern, hope you guys don't mind.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Somehow I missed the nymph swap, but count me in for this one. I'm a noob, so I'll be doing some research to figure out a pattern, hope you guys don't mind.
I'm not a steelhead fishermen, maybe someone in the swap can help out and recommend a couple different fly patterns for you to tie.

L

Liphookedau

Hi Larry.
Even though I would really like to join in as I have a Beaut Pattern however I wouldn't like to keep someone out as I'm a bit pushed for time as I'm getting things together & Tying Flies for our coming trip to New Zealand.

Brian

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Larry.
Even though I would really like to join in as I have a Beaut Pattern however I wouldn't like to keep someone out as I'm a bit pushed for time as I'm getting things together & Tying Flies for our coming trip to New Zealand.

Brian
Brian: I fully understand, have a great time in New Zealand!!!!