Top Water Fly Swap 2015

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, the majority likes the idea of a top water fly swap so lets get this going, we need more members join in with us. Lets plan on having the flies completed and sent in to me by Saturday May 2, 2015.

For those of you that haven't participated in a swap and are curious in how it works: We normally will limit the number of participants to 12 tiers, each tier will tie 12 flies (the pattern is your choice as long as it is the category that everyone decides on, in this case anything top water). Upon completion, put paper toe tags on each fly to identify the fly name and/or tier. Then send the flies in a "padded" envelope to me with a couple dollars to help cover return postage or include a self addressed "padded" envelope with postage already included or a couple of dollars to cover the postage. Once I have everyone's flies, I will distribute one fly from each tier to all the participants so in the end you will receive 12 flies back (one from each of the other tiers, plus one of yours). I hope that makes sense. Also, please do not send in used flies, believe it or not, we had that happen in the past. Normally, tiers will send their flies in a small container like an Altoid tin box or something similar to protect the flies. Also, please post up a recipe of your top water fly pattern when you have completed the swap, I will use that to start another post with all the recipes/photos, thanks!

The fly swap is now full, here are the tiers and their patterns:
1. Realispatt......Stealth bombers......your flies have arrived!
2. Tail of the pool.......Greased Liner......your flies have arrived!
3. Peter hanman......Pole dancers......your flies have arrived!
4. Pjcalla......Pattern TBD......dropped out of the swap!
5. Akcrimson......Foam hoppers......dropped out of the swap!
6. Jonathan creason......Gurglers......your flies have arrived!
7. R reese......Richards foam beetle......your flies have arrived!
8. Kcjerryd......Foam beetle......your flies have arrived!
9. S fontinalis......Foam hoppers......your flies have arrived!
10. Williamhj.......Morrish Mouse......your flies have arrived!
11. Flytire......Balloon caddis dry fly......your flies have arrived!
12. Hokiehunter07......Balsa poppers......your flies have arrived!

Note to all fly tiers:
The top water fly swap will close on the due date, Saturday May 2, 2015, the next day I'm going to divide up the flies I have received and send them back to the participants that sent in flies, the next business day. Any flies coming in after that will be delivered back to the sender. This swap will be open for two full months so everyone should have a chance to complete twelve flies and mail them in to me by the deadline.

Last edited:

realispatt

Reaction score
I'm in, I do not have a preference to what we tie, as I am trying to get out of my comfort zone. So I am down for whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peter hanman

Reaction score
I'm in I would love to do a fly swap!

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

I don't have a preference on what we tie

pjcalla

Reaction score
I could get behind the top water movement. I've been wanting to tie up some foam frogs, but I've been lacking the motivation. I will wait to officially sign up, since I've been a part of 2 of the last 3, and I want to give others a chance.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I could get behind the top water movement. I've been wanting to tie up some foam frogs, but I've been lacking the motivation. I will wait to officially sign up, since I've been a part of 2 of the last 3, and I want to give others a chance.
Same here. I'll wait a few days before I get in officially if it doesn't fill up soon. Their should be interest from the dry fly gang and this is a good category for noobies too.

jonathan creason

Reaction score
I'm Jonesing for some warmwater action, and I can't think of many vertical activities better than catching bass and bream on top. I'd be down for a topwater swap.

Last edited:

pjcalla

Reaction score
Larry:

I was going to wait to sign up, so others would have a chance, just like iatrouter. If no one else wants in, I'll gladly fill up the slot.

Thanks.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
Are we talking topwater as in bass / panfish flies or topwater as in any fly that sits on the surface. I love these swaps and might be willing to throw in a couple balsa poppers if we're talking bass type topwater.

kcjerryd

Reaction score
If it's not full, I'll give it a shot. This will be my first fly swap. Looking forward to the challenge.

Please let me know the details.

Jerry

peter hanman

Reaction score
Well at first I thought I would tie up some gurglers but now I think im going to tie up some Pole dancers. I've always wanted to tie some of these and I think I can finally give it a try.

looks a little like this

tail of the pool

Reaction score
A nice little box listed here already :)

OK, the majority likes the idea of a top water fly swap so lets get this going, we need more members join in with us. Lets plan on having the flies completed and sent in to me by Saturday May 2, 2015.

For those of you that haven't participated in a swap and are curious in how it works: We normally will limit the number of participants to 12 tiers, each tier will tie 12 flies (the pattern is your choice as long as it is the category that everyone decides on, in this case anything top water). Upon completion, put paper toe tags on each fly to identify the fly name and/or tier. Then send the flies in a "padded" envelope to me with a couple dollars to help cover return postage or include a self addressed "padded" envelope with postage already included or a couple of dollars to cover the postage. Once I have everyone's flies, I will distribute one fly from each tier to all the participants so in the end you will receive 12 flies back (one from each of the other tiers, plus one of yours). I hope that makes sense. Also, please do not send in used flies, believe it or not, we had that happen in the past. Normally, tiers will send their flies in a small container like an Altoid tin box or something similar to protect the flies. Also, please post up a recipe of your top water fly pattern when you have completed the swap, I will use that to start another post with all the recipes/photos, thanks!

Tiers that are signed up:
1. Realispatt......Pattern TBD
2. Tail of the pool.......Greased Liner
3. Peter hanman......Pole dancers
4. Pjcalla......Pattern TBD
5. Akcrimson......Pattern TBD
6. Jonathan creason......Gurglers
7. R reese......Pattern TBD
8. Kcjerryd......Pattern TBD
9. S fontinalis......Foam hoppers