Winter 2015/2016 Fly Swap

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, we have 10 people interested in a fly swap, three guys expressed interest in doing streamers, so lets make this swap a streamer fly swap. At this point plan on tying 10 streamers, unless we get some other members wanting to join in. Please plan on having your flies completed and sent in to me no later then Friday, Jan 22, 2016 (eight weeks to complete flies).

For those of you that haven't participated in a swap and are curious in how it works: We normally will limit the number of participants to 12 tiers, each tier will tie 12 flies (the pattern is your choice as long as it is the category that everyone decides on). Upon completion, put paper toe tags on each fly to identify the fly name and/or tier. Then send the flies in a "padded" envelope to me with a couple dollars to help cover return postage or include a self addressed "padded" envelope with postage already included or a couple of dollars to cover the postage. Once I have everyone's flies, I will distribute one fly from each tier to all the participants so in the end you will receive 12 flies back (one from each of the other tiers, plus one of yours). I hope that makes sense. Also, please do not send in used flies, believe it or not, we had that happen in the past. Normally, tiers will send their flies in a small container like an Altoid tin box or something similar to protect the flies. Also, please post up a recipe of your streamer fly pattern when you have completed the swap, I will use that to start another post with all the recipes/photos, thanks!

Members in the streamer fly swap:
1. Grifmxc......Barr's Slumpbuster......Flies have been received!
2. Jgentile......Cheech Leech's......Flies have been received!.....flies being donated to PHW!!!!
3. S_fontinalis......Woolly worm......Flies have been received!.....flies being donated to PHW!!!!
4. Trs......Mickey Finn......dropped out due to medical issues.
5. Mirabelasunshine......Matt's Bunny Sculpin......Flies have been received!
6. Justonemorecast............dropped out!
7. Joetranfaglia......Spring Crappie Darter or Squirrel Creeks......dropped out!
8. Dean_mt......Flies have been received!
9. Mcnerney......Complex Twist Bugger.......Flies have been completed!.....flies being donated to PHW!!!!
10. Luked......dropped out!
11. J_parson......Flies have been received!
12. Sam_mothner......Flies have been received!

Last edited:

grifmxc

Reaction score
I'd be interested in giving it a shot. I've never done one of these before, I don't have any strong convictions on what to tie, I would prefer to do something for trout. As far as nymph, emerger, dry, or streamer; I will give any of them a shot.

Matt

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
I'll give it a go. If we're game for streamers I'll do bunny sculpins, but if we'd rather have something else I'll play along.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would love to take part if there is still space. I only tie trout flies however. I would personally like to see some new mayfly emergers. Is the emphasis on classic patterns or a pattern of personal creation?

flytire

Reaction score
how about SOMEBODY make a decision and just start a fly swap!

pick a style of fly

if its not your style then dont swap or simply learn to tie that style

if it doesnt work out with 12 swappers then just go with how many signed up

r reese

Reaction score
Swaps are fun. I've sold all my tying stuff and fish winter and summer now hunt also. Enjoyed tying but enjoy fishing and hunting more. Jump in guys gals its fun .

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I'm in. I'm mostly a nymph guy myself, but wouldn't mind receiving just about anything, as long as it's trout orientated.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Hey Larry, I was waiting for new-comers to sign up if they wanted a chance but since interest seems low I'll jump in. I don't care what the theme is, I'll do anything.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, we have 10 people interested in a fly swap, three guys expressed interest in doing streamers, so lets make this swap a streamer fly swap. At this point plan on tying 10 streamers, unless we get some other members wanting to join in. Please plan on having your flies completed and sent in to me no later then Friday, Jan 22, 2016 (eight weeks to complete flies). Let me know what pattern you plan on tying and I will update the first page, plus I will update the first page each time I receive flies from the people in the swap. Good luck!

Edit: My streamer is called the "Complex Twist Bugger", by Fly Fish Food. There isn't anything complex about tying this pattern, but it has been very effective for me so far this fall.

http://www.flyfishfood.com/search?q=complex+twist+bugger

Pattern recipe, the brown and black Version:
Hook: Daiichi 2461 #2
Thread: Danville 210 Denier - black or brown
Cone: Brass (or Tungsten) - copper large
Weight: Lead free wire - .025
Tail: NS Prime Marabou - brown
Body 1: UV polar chenille - copper olive
Body 2: Schlappen - black
Body 3: Schlappen - fiery brown
Veil: Bruiser Blend Jr. - brown

Last edited:

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
That looks awesome. I'll be sending Matt's Bunny Sculpin:

Hook: Eagle Claw 570-1 jig hook, size 1
Thread: orange 6/0
Body: white sparkle braid beading cord
Eyes: black nickel finish brass dumbells, 3/16”
Wing: tan/beige dyed bunny skin, ¼” strip ~ 1.25x the length of the hook shank
Overwing:
4 strands crystal flash;
one banded sili-leg cut in half & doubled (i.e. 2 short legs on each side);
2 small clumps gray marabou (one on each side)
Gills/pectoral fins: ringneck pheasant shoulder feathers, dyed claret
Head: tan/beige bunny fur captured loose in a dubbing loop, spun, figure-8 wrapped, and trimmed to shape flush with dumbell eyes.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Sweet. I always like new and original streamer patterns as those big bunny things are not in my tying strike zone. I'll be doing something much tamer, maybe a classic feather wing or some sort of soft hackle streamer. I will decide and update soon.

luked

Reaction score
Larry I'm in also. I'll find a streamer to tie up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

grifmxc

Reaction score
Tentatively put me down for slumpbusters. Not sure I have/can get all the materials. I will update tomorrow.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
With Luke in the Streamer Fly Swap that just leaves one last slot, so if your interested in tying up some streamers, join in on the swap.

luked

Reaction score
Larry put me down for a Mohair leach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk