Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
    Blog Entries

Default Fall Pattern Fly Swap?

I'm new to this forum. I'm excited as this seems to be a healthy and active forum compared to others I've followed. I've been tying flies for about a year now and have really enjoyed getting into this aspect of fly fishing. I've been interested in joining a fly swap for awhile now. I think it's a great incentive to sit and practice one pattern with the added incentive of knowing that it will be shared with others. I also think it would be exciting to receive flies from others who might tie using different methods, patterns, or materials.

Sadly it seems fly swaps aren't as popular as they used to be.

As a new member I don't think I'm allowed to host a swap. But if there's enough interest I'd still like to participate. As I start my fall fly fishing I tie in the evenings so I figured I'm probably not the only one getting back behind the vice at this time of year.

Anyone else interested in swapping some flies? Since fall is here, how about favorite fall patterns (dry or wet). Any of the approved swap-meisters willing to host it if there is interest?

Tight lines,

-Keith-

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    If you don't like fishing, then you're not a good person.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fall Pattern Fly Swap?

Welcome to the forum Keith,

We have done many fly swaps here over the years with some going smoothly while others were held up by folks who committed but then failed to send their flies to whoever was managing the swap. We actually had to form up fly swap rules because of problems.

So…………………… settle in get to know people and maybe we can float the idea of a swap in the coming winter months.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Default Re: Fall Pattern Fly Swap?

I am apart of another forum, that successfully has run 4-6 swaps a year for the last 3 yrs. As long as the organizer is keen and on the ball, they work well.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Hi Raven,

My best advice is to look at the sticky posts at the top of this sub forum. You'll see the original Guidelines posted by Frank back in 2008, then the updates we added in 2012 and 2014.

Those guidelines and rules weren't our way of trying to ruin everyone's fun, they were the result of too many well intentioned swaps dying on the vine. In one case all 12 people sent their flies to someone who then dropped off the forum and never returned.

So...……... read the guidelines become a regular posting member and host a swap.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice. I plan on settling into the forum and getting to know the community at large. The only reason I waited this long was because I thought "North America" seemed like an awfully big region to start with so I've been focusing on the PA fly fishing forum to help get more local advice as I learn flies that work best near me. But a larger forum like this is more likely to have more actively participating members and everything I've read points to a very encouraging and helpful group here.

I read through all the guidelines before I posted the suggestion of a swap. The guidelines mention that a host should request permission from Arn before running one. Since I'm not eligible to host I thought I'd float the idea and see if there is even interest. From what the guidelines said I thought if a host stepped up they would go through the proper channels to get it approved before running it.

Did I handle that correctly? My apologies if I misinterpreted the guidelines. I still hope to be able to participate in a swap here and see if we can't revive some interest in that aspect of the forum. But all in good time. I know winter is tying season for most folks so I'm not too surprised at the suggestion to wait a bit.

I appreciate the quick responses. It's obvious the mods are working hard here and I appreciate the effort.

If you don't like fishing, then you're not a good person.

6. Likes Ard liked this post
  7. Default Re: Fall Pattern Fly Swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Hi Raven,

My best advice is to look at the sticky posts at the top of this sub forum. You'll see the original Guidelines posted by Frank back in 2008, then the updates we added in 2012 and 2014.

Those guidelines and rules weren't our way of trying to ruin everyone's fun, they were the result of too many well intentioned swaps dying on the vine. In one case all 12 people sent their flies to someone who then dropped off the forum and never returned.

So...……... read the guidelines become a regular posting member and host a swap.
    I am not looking to host or particpate in a fly swap on this forum, was just merely voicing my opinion on what makes a good swap. As I mentioned, I take part of a fair number of swaps on a local to my area forum, and wanted to state that they are viable if the organizer is on the ball.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
  9. Default Re: Fall Pattern Fly Swap?

I also am a little disappointed in the lack of fly swaps.

If I am honest though, I am not a big fan of the format that is often used. Not just here, but other places. Most require participants to tie a dozen flies. I think that is part of people not meeting their obligation. A dozen flies can take a while to tie. Especially good ones!

I don’t know what the mods think of this, but I have considered doing a “Trade Ya” thread. Where you could swap some flies you tied for other flies you need. For example trade nymphs for dry flies. Just members trading one to one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ivory arrow View Post
    I also am a little disappointed in the lack of fly swaps.

If I am honest though, I am not a big fan of the format that is often used. Not just here, but other places. Most require participants to tie a dozen flies. I think that is part of people not meeting their obligation. A dozen flies can take a while to tie. Especially good ones!

I don’t know what the mods think of this, but I have considered doing a “Trade Ya” thread. Where you could swap some flies you tied for other flies you need. For example trade nymphs for dry flies. Just members trading one to one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's cool with me but I would hesitate to add a specific forum for the purpose, we have a lot already...... Members are more than able to pursue individual swaps, I've done that myself with people over the years here. I can also relate to the 'Dozen fly thing' because I've been roped into a few swaps and dreaded having to sit down and whip off 12 identical ties so that no one got a sub par fly. We didn't try to kill off the swaps but as I said we had some that turned out less than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by bocianka1 View Post
    I read through all the guidelines before I posted the suggestion of a swap. The guidelines mention that a host should request permission from Arn before running one. Since I'm not eligible to host I thought I'd float the idea and see if there is even interest. From what the guidelines said I thought if a host stepped up they would go through the proper channels to get it approved before running it.

Did I handle that correctly? My apologies if I misinterpreted the guidelines. I still hope to be able to participate in a swap here and see if we can't revive some interest in that aspect of the forum. But all in good time. I know winter is tying season for most folks so I'm not too surprised at the suggestion to wait a bit.
    You did as well as anyone could expect buddy, you ask a question and that's actually what we are here for. The business of requiring people to build a post count was what I'd call a mitigating action. We had a period where there were some new guys who were gun-ho then just faded away. The deciding factor which led to rules were all the PM's received by the moderators asking that we get involved and eventually we did.

It's all good, I hope there can be a few swaps for the willing

Blog Entries

I'm up for a Trade-ya. I mentioned something similar in another forum for the exact reasons you mentioned. I understand tying 12 flies could be intimidating for some, and finding 12 guys all willing to tie that many might be the reason for less swaps happening. If i'm going to swap one-on-one with someone, i would like to send and receive patterns in sets of 3. that way i have 3 of the same new patterns i receive to fish and i don't sweat loosing one or two when i'm out on the water trying them.

Aside from tying for less than a year, my main limits i've found revolve around hackles. I use a lot of second-hand and loaner materials so i have tons of feathers and squirrel tails and enough dubbing to make every color fly imaginable. But i only have a few hackles to work with, and can't come close to the exact sizes and colors that the patterns i come across recommend. It's pretty much, use the black one, use the grizzly one, or use the brown one when it calls for a hackle. I've trimmed more than a few parachute adams to get my hackle down to size. As a result, you'll notice i've dabbled much more heavily in nymphs and wet flies.

Here's a list of flies i have tied. PM me if you (or anyone else) would like to swap for any of these. I tie primarily on hooks size 12-16 for most of my flys, jig style hooks for my nymphs, 18 and 20's for my midges. If it's not on this list, i'm probably interested in trading for it. I'm also interested in learning how to tie some bass flies, but they need to be flies that i could swing on my 5wt rod. I've been looking into blue damsal fly patterns, frogs, mice, and poppers, but haven't tried nay yet. I find it helpful to have completed examples to learn from as i tie so i'd love to trade for some of those as well. But i'm game for pretty much anything that will get me behind the vice and expand my fly box assortment.

flies i've tied (though i am by no means an expert).

Wet:
    Zebra Midges
    Squirminator (blue squirmy body material)
    Squirmy Wormy (White, pink, or dark purple)
    Green Weenie (or Orange Weenie)
    Egan's Tungsten Surveyor (jigged)
    Sucker Spawn (assorted colors)
    Scud nymph (on small 18 or 20 midge hooks)
    Stonefly
    Copper John (Jigged) - red or gold wire body
    Mole Fly emerger style
    Blue Winged Olive Nymph
    Pheasant tails
    Hare's Ear
    Wooly Buggers

Dries:
    Caddis Fly (deer Hair)
    Charlie Boy Hoppers (assorted colors)
    Foam Ants
    Coffin Fly
    Sulphur (parachute style)
    Parachute Adams
    Grffiths Gnat

13. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

most fly swaps are about swapping 12 flies on average and are a month long in duration from start to finish

if you tied 2 flies per night it would only take six days out of the month. 24 days left over to do other stuff

there is no commandment that a swap contains 12 swappers. start out with 6 swappers if you desire. then you can take a whole month to tie 6 flies

why people procrastinate is beyond comprehension

not to be a mean person but i prefer fly swaps with established members of forums. too many times the swapmeister took the flies and was never heard from.

a person should be required to have participted in 3-5 swaps BEFORE being a swapmeister of their own swap. establish trustworthyness first.
    Last edited by flytire; 10-15-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

15. Likes smoke33 liked this post