Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: BWO Life Cycle Swap

Pocono-

Since we didn't get a lot of folks in the swap we're going to each tie up 12 flies and divide them up among participants, so each tyer will get 12 back. I'll make up the difference and throw in a few extras of a couple different styles.

If you want to jump in you're welcome to if you think you can make the deadline.

As for getting a look at the naturals, Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout is a great site. Just do a search for blue wing olives when you get on the site. It'll have a ton of pics of the naturals.

Another great site for patterns is Fly Fishing | Westfly. If you go to the "Entomology" section you'll get a few pics, a description of behavior, tips for fishing the hatch and suggested patterns. Here's the page on BWO:
    http://www.westfly.com/entomology/mayfly/bwo.shtml

Let me know if you're in and what you'll be tying, and I'll send you my address.

mark

Peregrines,

OK- I'll give it a shot. It will be a BWO nymph, #18; my version of what I see in the natural. I'll get to work on them this weekend. Shouldn't be a problem with the deadline (except for working on a #18 hook )

Great, I'll PM my address.

mark

Mark,

Rather then making up for any odd flies out, I am ok with donating any odd flies to one of the many wonderful charities that wants flies.

d

Peregrines,

My flies were mailed this AM. Right day - just sent vs. received. They're what I call "Baetman"; a baetis nymph tied on a #18 hook. You should have them by Monday; it's not far from the Poconos to Long Island.

FYI - if you get "Eastern Fly Fishing" mag, then there's a great article in the latest issue on fishing the Pocono freestones creeks by Ed Jawaworski. Broadhead, Bushkill, Mud Run, Tobyhanna, McMichaels, Tunkhannock, Pocono, Devil's Hole, Paradise, Leihigh and Deleware - all right in my backyard

Pocono

Make that Delaware!

My duns went out on Thursday and I was hoping you would get them today. One day late, sorry about that guys.

Great guys-

Dave I'll roll any extras into a charity, thanks very much.

Pocono- thanks, for mailing out. And it sounds like a great article-- some great fishing down your way.

Dshort- They just arrived today, and they look great.

mark

Re: BWO Life Cycle Swap

your right on that pocono, the broadhead is about the best there is in the ne pa, there all good,fished most of them but you cant beat the broadhead creek

Quote Originally Posted by bono View Post
    your right on that pocono, the broadhead is about the best there is in the ne pa, there all good,fished most of them but you cant beat the broadhead creek
    Yes, I like the Broadhead. It's got some "river" quality sections to it as well as some small creek sections; further up towards Canadensis. I belong to a Club that gives me access to about a mile and a half of the Broadhead; right were Stoney Run Creek comes into it; it's the section where Jim Leisenring and his "gang" used to fish in the middle of the last century; when he and Pete Hiddy were developing their soft hackle wet patterns and "flymphs". It is a great piece of water; a little tannic vs. something like the Lackawaxen, but huge mayfly hatches; almost like clockwork, and caddis from March to October. Even when some of the locals say it's blown out from heavy rains, you can almost always find sections that are fishable. The State has also purchased some sections for catch and release fishing, so it's starting to open up again; which is a good thing in my opinion.

I was at the Broadhead in the afternoon last Saturday and the Hendrickson hatch was so thick that it was almost a nuisance. When you get mayflies landing on your shirt and arms, you know you're headed into some great topwater fishing! And the winning fly was - a parachute Hendrickson; a traditional Catskill tie red quill (male Hendrickson) was also a good producing fly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast