Official panfish-Bass Fly Swap 2019-20

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Not the proper forum but I know it will get a lot more looks here. If you signup, please check the fly tying subforums where this thread will find it's final home. I have a fair amount of warm water fly brothers here so I expect this will fill fairly soon. The rules will be fairly simple, so please don't commit if you don't have time. We'll keep this mostly uncomplicated but it may be my last swap of the year so I'll add a small twist to the normal tie a dozen flies routine. New tyers are welcomed of course! Ths doesn't have to be too fancy.

1. Deadline to have flies to me will be FEB 15, 2020. I can get them out before the southern guys might need them for spring fishing. I will send a PM to all participants with my address when the swap is full.

2. It will primarily be a panfish swap. I assume most everyone has local panfish, Tie 12 panfish flies and three or so bonus bass flies. Bass flies don't have to be complicated, but of course they are typically larger. Everyone will receive 12 panfish patterns. You'll also receive approximately three random bass flies from the swap depending on contributions.

3. Place your flies in a very small container if you wish and I will return it with your new flies. Make some toe tags for your flies and it's much easier to keep it straight. (A small piece of paper with your forum name I can put on each fly hook.

4. Enclose about $4.00 for return shipping. It will average out well enough depending on where you live. Not worrying about nickels and dimes.

1.ia_trouter, the McGinty, and three reverse tied deer hair bass streamer flies.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Sounds like fun.

I'm in for some Bully Bluegills. I'm sure I'll have some bass throw-ins by February.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I'm in but haven't decided on a pattern yet if that's OK.
Gillage, That's perfectly fine. You are free to change your pattern up until the day you mail them. Not sure we've met though you joined years ago, welcome to the forum.

ottosmagic13- looks good. bullyfly variants are a staple in my panfish arsenal. Those drop flies kill it for sure. I've tended to underweight mine. Accidentally caught my first channel cat on a bully while crappie fishing. A 4# cat on a 4WT near brush is considerable fun when it's unexpected. :)

To all- If you sign up but don't frequent the forum much please say hello on the thread every couple weeks so we know you're still with us OK? As the swapmeister it's tough at the end when you don't know if somebody checked out forever. I am going to take the liberty of signing up a couple guys I think will be disappointed if they miss out. They expressed interest on other threads. They can cancel if they wish. Could be wrong but I think this swap will fill in just a couple days.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Gillage, thats fine, Got you down for some bullies ottosmagic13.

I am going to take the liberty of adding a couple guys that expressed interest on other threads. It's OK to cancel if they wish, no problem at all. I think this swap will fill up fast and I don't want them to be left out after participating in the other swap discussions. I'll shoot the guys in bold a PM so they can commit or not.

1. ia_trouter, the McGinty, and three reverse tied deer hair bass streamer flies.
2. ottosmagic13-bully
3. Gillage-TBD
4. Kentuckysteve
5. DonW-flying ant
6. Flukefly
7. Johnny Maltby- yellow deer hair spiders
8. bociana1
9. nuchamp

Last edited:

DonW

Reaction score
I'm in with flying ants, as to the bonus flies not sure exactly but they will be included for sure.

johnnymaltby

Reaction score
Thanks for setting this up ia_trouter! You can count me in for some yellow deer-hear spiders. Those have always been blue gill magnets for me. My Father and Grandfather taught me to fly fish using this patter on small Michigan lakes.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Sounds good guys, I'll update the list and copy it after a few more updates, rather than copying it to the thread 27 times and cluttering it up. :) Don't worry too much about the bass fly (bonus fly) pattern since there is no rush. Some foam from the craft store and some spin fishing jig hooks can make a fine bass fly. If you don't believe me search up "froggy fly" on youtube. There's a folksy sounding guy from the south with several vids. It looks like third grade art glass. Craft foam, markers, bass jig/worm hook, and no rules. I thought "what the heck" a few years ago and tied some up. A buddy and I just pounded the fish with them. We never fail to imitate his froggiiiiie flyyyyy accent when we tie them on lol.

Johnny- This is what I love about the fly swaps. You get to see others high confidence flies. Flies you might not ever be exposed to. We can catch panfish on simple trout patterns, but it's not been my experience you'll catch nearly as many. It's not even close on a lot of days. On my favorite panfish lake color matters a lot. Add a little action and I'm set. Wouldn't matter if I shaped it like a grasshopper or a billy goat. :)

philly

Reaction score
If there's still room, I'm in. Pattern doesn't have a name, but it's been my best producing pan fish pattern, caught a few bass on it to.

P6260438.jpg

P6240430.jpg

ia_trouter

Reaction score
1. ia_trouter, the McGinty, and three reverse tied deer hair bass streamer flies.
2. ottosmagic13-bully
3. Gillage-TBD
4. Kentuckysteve-TBD
5. DonW-flying ant
6. Flukefly
8. bociana1-
9. nuchamp-
10. Mad Duck-Sinking Spider, foam/hair bass bugs
11. Philly-Yeller Fly

gillage

Reaction score
You have me in already,
I've decided to tie X-Gurgler (Micro-Gurgler)
For the Bass tie I am thinking Zudbubbler.

Thanks, Gillage

FlukeFly

Reaction score
I will be tieing a Stayner Ducktail it reads as an smallmouth bass pattern as well as a panfish pattern.
Thanks

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
A quick question. In swaps that I have done before elsewhere, the participants tied 13 flies. 12 for the swap and one for the swapmeister for hosting the swap. Is that customary here?

bocianka1

Reaction score
Thanks for putting me on the list. I'll need to think about my final fly selection. I'm leaning toward a floating spider or small popper pattern at the moment.

Thanks for hosting. Can't wait to see what everyone ties up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ia_trouter

Reaction score
A quick question. In swaps that I have done before elsewhere, the participants tied 13 flies. 12 for the swap and one for the swapmeister for hosting the swap. Is that customary here?
Not that I am aware of and I've been in most every one the past 5 years. The swapmeister has always tied so he is #12. When tying trout flies some guys would throw in extras to donate to CFR. Saves shipping as the swapmeister sends them all together to Larry.

This swap is a little different though since it's warmwater. You only need tie 12 panfish flies. We also agreed to tie a few bass flies. Three would be sufficient. If you happen to have time then more is fine. The bass flies don't even need to match necessarily. That part is kind of gift exchange style. I am going to divide them up in 12 equal piles. I love to tie bass flies. I'll probably throw in a few fancy ones and a bunch of basic rabbit strip "zinkers" flies. Just in case anyone here has never had the pleasure. They are productive for a lot of species and most will use them eventually.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
2. ottosmagic13-bully
3. Gillage-TBD
4. Kentuckysteve-TBD
5. DonW-flying ant
6. Flukefly
8. bociana1-
9. nuchamp-
10. Mad Duck-Sinking Spider, foam/hair bass bugs
11. Philly-Yeller Fly