Favorite Winter Fly Swap

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Thanks to Dave (Webrx) for suggesting this one-- this year we'll do "favorite fly" swaps for each of the seasons.

For this swap tie up 12 copies of your favorite winter fly. To keep it a surprise, don't give the name of the pattern just yet-- just say you're in.

As always, tyers of all abilities are welcome.

Due Date March 15, 2011.

1. Webrxn- RECEIVED
2. Lancer09 - RECEIVED
3. Monkeyboy - RECEIVED
4. ChrisinselwynNZ - RECEIVED
5. HuronRiverDan - RECEIVED
6. Mudbug- RECEIVED
7. Pocono - RECEIVED
8. JoJer - RECEIVED
9. Nerka - RECEIVED
10. peregrines- DONE

Last edited:

webrx

Reaction score
You already got me, but of course I am in,

I am gonna tie at least 12 whatchamacallit flies

d

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Reaction score
i'm good to go
i have my favorite winter flies
and my favorite ready to ship
as a matter of fact i'm getting them in the mail today

all good

buzz

webrx

Reaction score
Bumping to the top, and throwing in a reminder for all the new folks on the list, everyone is welcome to play in the swaps, there are no restrictions on how new or old a tier you are (lord knows they put up with some of the junk I have tied in the past). So, if your a beginning tier, but are sitting back because you are worried about quality or the only thing you can tie so far is a wooly bugger, jump in on these swaps! I am willing to bet we all still fish wooly buggers (I know I do), and you will get a dozen different flies (at least) when the swap is all done!

I have caught (and released) some big fish on flies I have gotten from the swaps, I have gotten better and faster tying patterns I use all the time, I have learned to experiment with materials, techniques, etc all because of the swaps. AND, these swaps are great for honing your fly tying skills - put a dozen of the same fly together in a short period of time and see how much different the first is from the last - you might surprise yourself.

Dave

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Some great looking flies from Buzz (monkeyboy) arrived. That was quick!

monkeyboy

Reaction score
bump to the top

webrx has it nailed
the more you tie the more your skill level improves.:icon_bigg

after a dozen dozen you'll have it honed to a fine nib

all good
never thought i'd tie and swap flies :D
most excellent way to practice

all good

buzz

Pocono

Reaction score
after a dozen dozen you'll have it honed to a fine nib
Buzz,

You just said the same thing that a professional tyer told me a couple of years back. He had tied for Abercrombie & Fitch in NYC for about 30 years. He always said that you really don't know how to tie a pattern well until you've tied a dozen dozen.

I'll never get there!

Pocono

monkeyboy

Reaction score
yah you will. i knew i was getting somewhere when i counted out a few dozen flies after tying one whole winter.

when i get on a roll i tie until i finally tell myself , save a few for tomorrow.
that's enjoyment:D

tying the woolly worm is a perfect fly to practice on, and an excellent fish catcher too. someone already said so:)

i gotta try and stay away from woolly worms, i'm am woolly worm addict:eek:

i know a fella who drives into town everyday including Sunday
to a coffee shop

ties a handful of Russian River no. 2's

he has a kit bag of vises, Regal's, Dyna-Kings, HMH's, and a lone Thompson "ULTRA" he rotates his vises but mostly ties Russian Rivers

the coffee shop owners love it, adds some atmosphere to the place and many of the kids who come with their parents are fascinated with his personality and tying skills.

he always offers a fly to the youngsters and the grownups alike.
he has a really good day when a kid comes over to his table

the waitress's decorated the stores Christmas tree with his Russian River flies.

he knows as well as i, he is getting excellent chops tying everyday.

he found a Dyna-King Kingfisher in a thrift store the other day, brand new , for $50.00, sent it to me , said "it is good karma"

good karma creates good karma

i hope this helps

all good

buzz

webrx

Reaction score
I think I have had tiers block for the last few days..... I have my 12 flies tied up for the early season dry fly swap, and sat down to tie up my 'favorite" winter fly for this one. I started with a crispy critter, tied up a few, but then thought, you know I have caught a few nice fish on my turkey tail nymph, so I tied up a few of those. Then I started thinking that I have had some success with my holoflashback scud, so tied a couple of those, but none really said to me, this is your favorite fly. So, I put down the tying thread, and have just thought about it for a day or so. This morning I came to the realization, that my favorite "winter fly" was none of the above but is actually this other fly, simple, effective, can be fished in fast and slow water, has a little flash in it, and lots of movement. So, now that I know which whatchamacallit flies to tie, I can finally start working on this swap. Now, to complicate this even further, I sat down to start tying my favorites, and I don't have enough of the bead heads I need, so, now I gotta run to the fly shop. This could be dangerous ;0

I thought I would share, cause, I guess it was my idea to do this swap, and I was having a real hard time figuring out what to tie.

Dave

EXPATRIATE

Reaction score
I'm a new boy to the forum and not much of a fly tier but I'll have a go-as long as the organiser sends me a P.M. so I know where to send the fies and the sae to. BDT. You may even be more surprised by what I Don't tie!