ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
how about a swap of trout flies

All tyers welcome (any skill level)
The favorite fly from your area mayfly, caddis, midge, nymph or dry

Post by september 1st

I'll host and will pm my adress to participants
(will confirm postage tomoro), new swapers pelase read the sticky

1: Chris -ChrisinselwynNZ #20 Selwyn spiecal(mayfly dry)

Thanks
Chris

rmooney

Reaction score
im in. put me down for a bead head midge larvae...size 14!

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
how about a swap of trout flies

All tyers welcome (any skill level)
The favorite fly from your area mayfly, caddis, midge, nymph or dry

Post by september 1st

I'll host and will pm my adress to participants
(Postage is $3), new swapers pelase read the sticky

1: Chris -ChrisinselwynNZ #20 Selwyn spiecal(mayfly dry)
2: Tob1 - Rena fly (caddis)
3: Aroostookbasser - penobscot (caddis)
4: Rmooney - beadhead midge larvae (midge)
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
Thanks
Chris

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I want all members to be aware that Chris lives in New Zealand. All members will be required to send $3.00 in with their flies. It is possible that some international members may have to pay more but I don't know that for sure. This will be our first International Swap so everyone who joins has to understand the circumstances associated with an International swap.

So my recommendation for all who join this swap is to check what it will cost you to send your flies to NZ. Please report back to this thread what you find out.

Frank

Here is the Sticky that Chris has asked everyone to read.

What is a fly swap?

The purpose of a fly swap is to allow a number of NAFFF members to swap flies with each other to exchange ideas and techniques.

A fly swap consists of 10 or 12 members who agree to tye the appropriate number of flies and swap them with each other. Anyone can start a thread asking about a fly swap. One of the participants will volunteer to be a SwapMesiter. A fly swap will usually require the flies to be a certain type such as Dry Fly, Wet Fly, Nymph, Streamer or any classification of fly that the SwapMesiter and participants agree to. Joining a fly swap has some responsibility. Each member and the SwapMesiter need to enter into the swap with good intentions and fulfill their obligations.

The following outlines the Fly Swap procedure:

1. Any member can post a request to organize a fly swap and suggest a type of fly to tye.

2. Other members interested in the fly swap will reply to the post and agree on the type of fly to tye.

3. One of the members will volunteer to be a SwapMesiter.

4. The SwapMesiter will determine the number of tyers required and state in a post the number of flies to tye and the date the flies have to be mailed to the SwapMesiter. The SwapMesiter will be responsible to keep everyone notified of the status of the swap and issue a weekly reminder of the due date. The SwapMesiter will notify the members of his/her address by PM or Email.

5. Each member of the fly swap will tye the designated number of flies that the SwapMesiter has stated and mail their flies to the SwapMesiter by the established date. The flies will be in a small plastic or metal container. The tyer will include their name and address with $2.00 (the exact amount to be determined by the SeapMeister) for return postage. The flies should be tagged with the name of the fly and the NAFFF screen name of the tyer.

6. The SwapMesiter will separate the flies and mail each participant one each of the flies sent in by the other members of the swap. So if there are 12 members you will receive one fly from each member of the swap or 11 flies. Any money not used for postage by the SwapMesiter will be retained by the SwapMesiter for his/her efforts.

7. It would be nice if each member would post a picture of his fly and the recipe in the fly swap thread but not required.

The fly swap is intended to be fun and to see what other tiers are doing. It is about sharing recipes and maybe even making friends. No one is expecting to see expo quality flies. I think its more about tying flies that catch fish and not how good they are tyed. Sometimes you see good ideas that you had not thought about doing.

Lots of experience is not necessary to participate in a fly swap. To all of you new tyers who lack confidence and is afraid that their flies may not be as good as someone else, join a swap, it will be well worth your time and effort.

rmooney

Reaction score
i calculated the postage on usps.com, and if you can get your flies in an envelope (they are trout flies, so i assume they wont be too big) the postage to new zealand is about $12.30.

Arkie24

Reaction score
Im in. Ill do a #14 light Cahill in the "Arkansas Style". :icon_razz

Arkie24

Reaction score
i calculated the postage on usps.com, and if you can get your flies in an envelope (they are trout flies, so i assume they wont be too big) the postage to new zealand is about $12.30.
Any idea what the postage will be to return home?

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Postage looks to be a problem for most so the flies will be sent to Peregrines
instead of me

the cost to me from NZ is only about $3usd (if they all fit in a envelop ti was going to cost about $1usd but i figured that with the size restrictions any dry bigger than #16 would need its hackle crushed this is not desirable)

so its only fair that we all post to the USA

Chris

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Sounds good Chris.......

So 12 flies and $2.oo same as always!!!!

How about Pm me an addy their Peregrines......and thanks for stepping in to be our "Postal Moderator".

Come on guys......any Canadians out there? Aussies? French? ......how about some Bavarian bravato? Ok...any English/Brits?

Hoping for more than a couple of Americans and poor Chris from NZ.....being the International contingent.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Hi all both myself and rmooney have posted our flies in the pattern swap
rmooney- some new flies, the bead head looks good, and ive posted it in NZ flies

I can also pm Peregrines, addy if you join up
Chris

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I think this international swap is a great idea. Those who live in other countries will have to make sure they cover the postage for the return mailing of your flies.

Frank

Pocono

Reaction score
Chris,

I'll join in if you're open to a Catskill tie of the Adams pattern. Or, if you prefer, I could make it a Red Quill, Dark Cahill, Lady in Red, or other similar pattern. Let me know.

Pocono

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
That would be great Pocono
Im sure all the other guys would be happy with the fly you would enjoy tying the most
1-Chris #20 selwyn speical (in the post)
2-Tob1 Rena fly
3-Aroostookbasser Penobscot caddis
4-Rmooney Bead head midge lavae
5-Arkie24 #14 Light cahill
6-Jbbfly
7-Glassroddr
8-Pocono Catskill tie of the Adams pattern

four more and were full

Chris

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi friends,yesterday my friend JM brought me a box full of feathers from his ducks,so I'll tie 12 jpb sailboats size 14 bl for you as soon as I can...maybe one more for Mark...;)I'll post a photo of the fly so that you can see what it looks like.

Min

Reaction score
Good afternoon/evening to all,

I live in Vancouver, British Columbia. The postage thing is not an issue, I have done a couple of swaps with the US, as well as one being done through Europe. I am also a new member to this board.

I would be interested in joining up for this swap. I would probably do one of our BC stillwater "searching" patterns, probably size #10 or # 12.

Thanks,

Min