Wooly Bugger Swap?

Pocono

Reaction score
I was fooling around with JBBFLY a couple of days ago and told him that if he could hit me with a Wooly Bugger from where he was standing (France), then he was all the caster that he'd ever need to be. I'm not too worried about getting hit at that distance, but it started me thinging about Buggers.

For some of us, the Wooly Bugger was the first fly that we ever tied. And for many of us, it's still a fly that gets a lot of water time and hooks up a lot of fish; particularly when there's not much happening on the top of the water.

I've talked to a a lot of fishermen and most of them have a favorite Bugger pattern, so I started thinking that it might be fun to host a Wooly Bugger swap, depending on how the rest of you feel about it. If it's of interest, I was thinking that it would make some sense to have a deadline of Labor Day, when a lot of we trout fishermen, who have turned to smallmoutns during the hot Summer months, head back to trout. Say maybe #6's as the largest and #12's as the smallest(?)

Let me know what you think. I think it would be a lot of fun to see a dozen patterns that represented everyone's favorite Bugger; particularly when it's time to go back to trout and when there aren't many insect species still hatching.

Pocono

Joni

Reaction score
It is funny that I rarely fish them anymore. But maybe with 11 new ones I would.....I am so in!

FISHN50

Reaction score
Great minds must think alike. I was out today for a few hours & the water was high & off color & I put on a black WB & picked up 3 fish....That got me thinking about all the different color combos possible. .....Count me in...

Neil

Joni

Reaction score
I just realized, the biggest fish I have caught was on a "Hot Chocolate" by Bill Schiess.
Guess what....it's a woolly bugger! Just little is all.

I watched a program awhile back where they said that a black/while woolly represented a drown worm......hummmmm. I tried it after that and it worked! I wonder why I moved away from them.

I think I will do the Midnight Fire if we get this one going.

rmooney

Reaction score
you guys are killing me with these swaps! i cant resist a wooly bugger swap. im in! ill tie up 11 of these guys...

Attachments

Pocono

Reaction score
OK - that's a good start. So far we have:

Joni
FISHN50
Rmooney
Pocono

This one should be fun; a real chance to be creative with your favorite tye of this well know and heavily fished pattern.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Pocono: I don't fish wooly buggers much either (but maybe I will with some new ones to try) and I wasn't planning on doing a swap this summer but with a Labor Day completion, I can certainly handle that. Count me in!

Larry

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Hell why not,,,,,, I'm in lol
I'll play around with a couple diffrent ideas and let ya know what I'll ty
Bear

Pocono

Reaction score
All right! With Aroostookbasser, Mcnerney and Bear, we're up to 7; five more tyers and we've got a full swap.

Here's the updated roster of tyers:

Joni
FISHN50
Rmooney
Pocono
Aroostookbasser
Mcnerney
Arfishinbear

This is probably the world's most fished fly; and it works on several species - not just trout. Here's a real opportunity to get creative, have some fun and tie up your favorite Bugger!

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
OK Mark! Four more slots left in this swap. Come on tyers! This is Wooly Bugger Swap; easy and fun! Plus, you get a lot of fish thrown in as an extra!

Davec921

Reaction score
Ok Im a novice when it comes to tying. But I will give it a shot if thats cool
I have tied a few buggers. I dont have any special patterns yet.
So any ideas are welcome.
I think I have size 10 hooks.
Let me know if you all want me an Ill try to ty one up an get a pic so see if it will work for you.
Thanks
DAVE

Pocono

Reaction score
Dave,

Absolutely. Everyone on the forum is welcome in this swap.

The Bugger is a great tie to cut your teeth on (many of us did just that). As you tie them, you'll find that you'll naturally start experimenting with the materials and the form of the fly. You'll have fun. In the meantime, you can test your Bugger ties by doing what we all like doing best - going fishing!

Send a pic along when you think you've got something that the fish will go for.

You're in! Go for it and have some fun!

Pocono

mojo

Reaction score
OK, FG talked me into it. Is an egg sucking glo bug considered a wooly bugger?

Pocono

Reaction score
Mojo,

You're going to need someone alot better informed than I am to answer that question.

I think that this is a basically a purple Wooly Bugger with a ball of hot pink or red chenille tied in at the eye of the hook - right?

I've read online that it mimics a leech attempting to swallow a salmon egg. A guide once tied one on my leader when we were in a stretch of King Salmon water on a South American river. But, outside of that, I have no experience with the fly whatsoever.

Welcome to the Wooly Bugger Swap!

Only two slots left!

Pocono

Reaction score
I think we're there!

Here's the roster of tyers as of this morning:

Joni
FISHN50
Rmooney
Pocono
Aroostookbasser
Mcnerney
Arfishinbear
Peregrines
Davec921
Mojo
Hardyreels
Jimmie

Looks like a great group! Plenty of time for some experimenting on this one with a Labor Day send date.

In the meantime, message me with any questions, comments, pictures (pics always welcome!) that you have; as well as the name of (or at least a short descripton of) what you're going to tie up for the swap.

Here's the send address for any of you who tie up your Buggers early:

Allan Jarvis
PO Box 747
Pocono Pines, PA 18350

Thanks,

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
I just realized, the biggest fish I have caught was on a "Hot Chocolate" by Bill Schiess.
Guess what....it's a woolly bugger! Just little is all.

I watched a program awhile back where they said that a black/while woolly represented a drown worm......hummmmm. I tried it after that and it worked! I wonder why I moved away from them.

I think I will do the Midnight Fire if we get this one going.
Looks like you can crank up the Midnight Fire, Joni!

Any pics of that fly? It would also be fun to see your Hot Chocolate tie. How could anyone pass up the fly that they caught their biggest fish on?? :rolleyes: