Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  144
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Tying versus Buying

Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    I make my own fly rods now but the thrill is no better than when catching on a store bought rod . I do get satisfaction from looking at them tho and I love building them . I know , I'm the exception and not the rule . Tight lines .
    I feel the same way about fly tying. I do not build my own fly rods, but I'm sure those that do save some coin, unlike those of us that tie their own flies.

2. Likes trs, hairwing530 liked this post

I told my wife to open a fly tying material shop after I die.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I was very low bux when I started out. Losing a fly was a catastrophe! I recall buying several of those "get 6 flies and a wallet when you subscribe" deals early on. They were the only flies I owned. As I fished more, I hung fewer flies in the trees and snagged fewer flies in the stream bed. I remember surprising myself by losing flies a new way: Casting too far and hooking them to the opposite bank. A little trade off- "Rats! I lost another fly!" balanced against " Wow, nice cast." Like many here, I can admit that my angling and the whole experience improved when I didn't have to sweat the $.50 price of a fly.
    My first self-tied fly was a hank of copper-red dolls hair (Ariel) tied to an #6 bait holder hook with black sewing thread. Goofy as it was, it was still a better angler than I was: It caught a trout while I wasn't paying any attention to it. I attributed it to someone up the chain of command letting me know I wasn't as smart as I thought I was.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

I tie because I enjoy it. This past September on the north form of the Shoshone, the trout were hitting Tim Ward's version of the Prince flies. Lost the few K had left. That night at the camp ground I tied more. Did not have the materials for a n exact copy so I made substitutions. The modified flies worked!

6. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234