Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  164
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tying versus Buying

I think that if I cut out experimenting with new-to-me patterns or variations, fly tying would be more economical. It’s amazing how many flies I have tied that have never seen the water, at least water with a fish that might eat it.

I now mostly tie flies that I know the fish like or have wanted to eat based on my past experiences, but when I sit down to tie, there’s often this impulse to do something a little different.

I’ll put the something new to me or different in the box for an outing on the water, but often, almost always, I tie on the tried and true to fish.

Even with the odd tangents I go on at the bench and the experiments, fly tying isn’t really a big money drain. When I don’t have a lot of spare cash, I’m more focused on tying just what I need to catch fish. When money is a little more abundant, I tend to try new things.

I hate fishing other people’s flies in the saltwater. I did a fly swap or two and have found I just refuse to fish the flies I’ve received. Nothing really might be wrong about the tie, but they aren’t mine. I care more about saltwater than freshwater fly fishing and I’ll use store bought in the freshwater from time to time, but still prefer using my own ties.

Maybe someday I won’t care who tied what, but for now, tying is integral to fishing, especially in the saltwater.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

2. Likes dennyk, Rip Tide, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

In the last few years the only flies I purchased were articulated streamers with the notion of taking them home and replicating them, I really liked the patterns. Other then that I do my own tying and probably have enough materials to stock a small sport shop. Am I saving money? -NO-, do I love tying? -YES-!

Denny

4. Likes karstopo, kentuckysteve, hairwing530 liked this post

I have gone to mostly tungsten bead nymphs. There is no way I could have afforded that with out tying.

6. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345