Fly Tying Stations

bob3700

Reaction score
Have been look at various fly tying stations. Oasis products are an example.

The Oasis Fly Factory looks interesting to me. Anyone have experience with this unit?

How about alternatives in the same price range $130 or so. Don't want to get crazy with it as I have been crazy with enough other fishing gadgets.

Getting tired of sorting thru a cardboard box for my fly tying items!

0bie

Reaction score
I know it's well outside your price specs, but there's a local guy who builds some pretty high-quality furniture designed for fly-tying- it may be something to think about in the long term.

IMO it's really tough to recommend bench-top systems like Oasis because every tyer has their own individual style- I learned on an old dining table and an improvised system of dowel rods, and even though I haven't sat at that table in fifteen years, I still expect threads to be in one place, wire/lead to be in another, head cement in yet another. I know where all those things are supposed to be- it's rote memory, and changing it up can interfere with the flow and productivity when it comes time to tie.

If you're a beginning fly tyer who hasn't developed those habits, I think a system like what Oasis puts out can be an excellent way of organizing the tying bench. But if you've found a rhythm and are used to doing things a certain way, those systems (which can be tough to customize) can eat into productivity. It just depends on where you are in the game.

If you have the opportunity, the equipment, and the time, I'd strongly recommend building something unique based off your own habits. But there's a lot of options out there, and people are generally pretty adaptable :)

bob3700

Reaction score
I learned to fly fish at the age of 10-12. Been awhile back so can't remember exactly. It was strictly popper fishing in ponds for bluegill so the flys we tied were pretty simple.

Got back into fly fishing about 6 years ago and somewhat serious in the last 4. Just last year, started tying again and this time with a focus on Trout flys. Have found that Trout flys also catch bluegill and bass. Nice.

So there is no real habit or routine to break. Just have all my materials laying the the lid of a paper box and that is getting pretty old to sort thru everything when I need something. Plus, a tying station would be portable so that I can more to a room or table as required.

An old roll top desk would be my dream desk as it would kill several birds with a single stone but those are pricey.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I am still fairly new to tying and not yet settled in in exactly what I want. I like the ability to transport to fly tying meetings and I don't have an extra of everything yet. For now I settled on using a small tool caddy, and store my materials in a half dozen storage containers. Sterilite brand from the dollar store. The size I like costs about $3 each if I remember correctly. I have a container for deer hair, one for capes, one for random feathers, etc. Within them I use quality ziplock bags as required. Not a perfect system, but easy to find materials I need and I haven't wasted money if I transition to something else later. The larger tying stations are nice, but it is easy to outgrow it and you are back to chaos.

ts47

Reaction score
This is what I use. It's a lot of desk for the price. You can put a vice on the right or left, use a 'C' clamp - or because I set the desk in my lap, my Renzetti Traveler fit quite comfortably by setting the base on the left and running the vice through one of the tool holes and into the base. It adds some distance between my chest and the vice. I also clip a rotating magnifying glass on the extension arm in front of the desk.

White River Fly Shop Journeyman Fly Tying Station | Bass Pro Shops

bob3700

Reaction score
Ts47,

I was actually at BassPro in Springfield, MO over the summer and looked at that tying station. It was a bit small for me. Not a bad unit for the price, which is why I was looking at it.

Have ordered an Oasis "Fly Factory" and will pick it up this weekend. WIll let you know how that works out for organizing all my materials and tools.

ts47

Reaction score
Ts47,

I was actually at BassPro in Springfield, MO over the summer and looked at that tying station. It was a bit small for me. Not a bad unit for the price, which is why I was looking at it.

Have ordered an Oasis "Fly Factory" and will pick it up this weekend. WIll let you know how that works out for organizing all my materials and tools.
Post a photo when you get it.

pheasanttail

Reaction score
Hey bob, I have had the Oasis Fly Factory for 5 or 6 years now. I love it. I can tie anywhere I want( around my home) all I have to do is pick up and go. Here is a picture of my setup currently. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bob3700

Reaction score
Pheasanttail,

Thanks for the picture. Looks like we have the same tying vice.

That is exactly how I want to organize my supplies and equipment.

All my tying supplies have been in the top of a cardboard box and just sorting thru to find items is a pain. Hopefully, this will get me tying more often.

Where are you in Illinois?

pheasanttail

Reaction score
Pheasanttail,

Thanks for the picture. Looks like we have the same tying vice.

That is exactly how I want to organize my supplies and equipment.

All my tying supplies have been in the top of a cardboard box and just sorting thru to find items is a pain. Hopefully, this will get me tying more often.

Where are you in Illinois?

It looks like I'm pretty close to you. I love in Collinsville.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

btwom67

Reaction score
that Oasis Fly Factory was a great bench for me when space was scarce and I couldnt have a dedicated area. I let a young guy have it for a few $ when I finally got a permanent space in my home. It took awhile and a lot of extra projects but finally got a room to spread out in.

bob3700

Reaction score
Got my fly factory from Oasis. Looks like a good organizer.

Now I am in pursuit of a small bench to put it on. Looking at roll top secretary type desks. I think that might be just the ticket for my small operation.

ralphs007

Reaction score
I learned to fly fish at the age of 10-12. Been awhile back so can't remember exactly. It was strictly popper fishing in ponds for bluegill so the flys we tied were pretty simple.

Got back into fly fishing about 6 years ago and somewhat serious in the last 4. Just last year, started tying again and this time with a focus on Trout flys. Have found that Trout flys also catch bluegill and bass. Nice.

So there is no real habit or routine to break. Just have all my materials laying the the lid of a paper box and that is getting pretty old to sort thru everything when I need something. Plus, a tying station would be portable so that I can more to a room or table as required.

An old roll top desk would be my dream desk as it would kill several birds with a single stone but those are pricey.
Did you ever get your roll top desk? I think this is a great idea,since I could have it set up in my living room.That way,I don't have to be a cellar dweller, tying on my workbench, in the basement,lol.