Materials storage

JDR

Reaction score
I keep all my feather and hair materials in zip lock bags and I put cloves inside the bags to keep the bugs away. Though I have had no trouble with pests I am wondering if should use moth balls instead? But mothballs have such a strong odor I am wondering if the smell is off=putting to trout? I know that the average fly only requires a minimal amount of hackle and/or hair, but I also know that trout/salmon can smell bear scent in infinitesimal amounts. So, should I beef up my defenses or will things be okay with fresh cloves once a year? I know that everything should be okay as long as the bags are sealed, but I think everybody uses something to keep the unwanted bugs at bay. Thanks for your help.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
After losing a few hackle capes and other things to moths I use moth balls. I think the smell wears off pretty quickly once you've tied up your flies and stored them away from the moth balls.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm just recovering from my third infestation.
All of my deer hair has been in the freezer for most of the summer.
The "feathers" were spared this time as they were all stored with moth balls
I have a bunch of full bird and mammal pelts and they're all packed into dresser drawers with open boxes of moth flakes

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Here's a link to an older article that was posted in a similar thread this week in another forum:

"Don't Bug Me! - Fly Angler's OnLine

The point in the article is that mothballs work to repel bugs, but not to kill them, so if you already have an infestation, you need an insecticide. You should be able to get the no-pest strips mentioned in the article at home centers like Home Depot or Lowe's:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hot-Shot-2-29-oz-No-Pest-Insect-Strip-HG-5580-6/100004739

However, in that other thread several people mentioned that if you can't find the bug strips, cut-up bits of plastic pet flea collars work just as well.

(Uh oh, I recently had a problem with some bugs in some squirrel tails and I only used moth balls to treat them. There's a Lowe's near me, and there's even a crafts/sewing store in the same shopping center. I think I'll take a shopping trip today!)

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Like others, I too use the chemicals. However, I use the crystals (Paradichlorobenzene) instead of the "moth balls" (Naphthalene). Different chemical & more potent. In a sealed container the crystals will kill bugs, the balls are more of a deterrent. The main thing is keep your materials in sealed bags or containers, air tight is best, keep them clean as the "dirt" that gets on them is what usually attracts the bugs in the first place, and use the chemicals.

There are alternatives, and more natural methods, so if the thought of the chemicals bothers you, check into it. There have been discussions about the topic.

I've yet to find that the use of these chemicals has keep me from catching fish & I air out my materials well before tying with them.

For longer term storage, like Rip I use a freezer.

ts47

Reaction score
Like others, I too use the chemicals. However, I use the crystals (Paradichlorobenzene) instead of the "moth balls" (Naphthalene). Different chemical & more potent. In a sealed container the crystals will kill bugs, the balls are more of a deterrent. The main thing is keep your materials in sealed bags or containers, air tight is best, keep them clean as the "dirt" that gets on them is what usually attracts the bugs in the first place, and use the chemicals.

There are alternatives, and more natural methods, so if the thought of the chemicals bothers you, check into it. There have been discussions about the topic.

I've yet to find that the use of these chemicals has keep me from catching fish & I air out my materials well before tying with them.

For longer term storage, like Rip I use a freezer.
Jim,

Even after a quick internet search, I'm not completely certain I understand what you are suggesting I use. Can you provide a link similar to what Moucheur did?

This is one of those threads that could be helpful to a lot of tyers.

Thanks!

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Here's something to consider that I have noticed. All of you that have posted are from areas that are considered to be very humid, and East of the Rocky Mountain area. I live in Colorado and have been tying for maybe four years and keep my feathers and stuff in their original packaging in a nice wicker basket for now. ( getting a roll top desk at the end of the month. I am blessed. ) I have had absolutely no issues with bugs of any kind, just my wife's cats wanting to rub their faces against my capes and playing with my pheasant tails.

I would like to hear someone from my area who ties and see if they have insect issues before I buy moth balls. I'm just wondering if this is an issue only in certain areas of the country. But please don't get me wrong, these are great ideas to help control the bug problem, but I would just like to know if this is a common problem here in the Rockies where it's not as humid.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Todd, what part are you questioning?

Crystals (Paradichlorobenzene) are more effective than "moth balls" (Naphthalene) but are also a bit more toxic to us. The crystals will kill larva, the moth balls may not.

Natural alternatives would include cedar, lavender, & cinnamon sticks. There may be others too.

Also, keep in mind that clothes moths are the culprit that damages materials, and there are beetle larva that can cause damage such as carpet beetles and generally to a lesser extent carrion beetles. Carrion beetle larva usually feeds on raw flesh of dead animals, but if there is fungus present on your material & sufficient moisture to attract the beetle adults, they could infest your material & damage it as they feed on the fungus too.

Scotty, that may be part of the problem. All bugs need moisture & humidity can be enough to sustain them. One other thing I do is add several packs of Silica Gel Desiccant with the materials. This helps limit moisture. Bugs need moisture as does molds, mildew & fungi all of which have the potential to destroy tying materials.

Not all of the "remedies" repel and/or kill both beetles & moths.

The Basics of Mothproofing | Martha Stewart

Moth Problem? We Test 9 Ways To Get Rid Of Moths (PHOTOS)

How to Get Rid of Moths from Your Home Safely and Permanently | earthkind

http://www.watoxics.org/healthy-living/healthy-homes-gardens-1/factsheets/clothingmoths

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_carrion_beetle

How to Get Rid of Carpet Beetles: 12 Steps (with Pictures)

How to Kill Carpet Beetles the Natural and Safe Way | DoItYourself.com

ts47

Reaction score
Todd, what part are you questioning?

Crystals (Paradichlorobenzene) are more effective than "moth balls" (Naphthalene) but are also a bit more toxic to us. The crystals will kill larva, the moth balls may not.

Natural alternatives would include cedar, lavender, & cinnamon sticks. There may be others too.

Also, keep in mind that clothes moths are the culprit that damages materials, and there are beetle larva that can cause damage such as carpet beetles and generally to a lesser extent carrion beetles. Carrion beetle larva usually feeds on raw flesh of dead animals, but if there is fungus present on your material & sufficient moisture to attract the beetle adults, they could infest your material & damage it as they feed on the fungus too.

Scotty, that may be part of the problem. All bugs need moisture & humidity can be enough to sustain them. One other thing I do is add several packs of Silica Gel Desiccant with the materials. This helps limit moisture. Bugs need moisture as does molds, mildew & fungi all of which have the potential to destroy tying materials.

The Basics of Mothproofing | Martha Stewart

Moth Problem? We Test 9 Ways To Get Rid Of Moths (PHOTOS)

How to Get Rid of Moths from Your Home Safely and Permanently | earthkind

http://www.watoxics.org/healthy-living/healthy-homes-gardens-1/factsheets/clothingmoths

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_carrion_beetle

How to Get Rid of Carpet Beetles: 12 Steps (with Pictures)

How to Kill Carpet Beetles the Natural and Safe Way | DoItYourself.com
Hi Jim,

Thanks for all the information. In reading both of your posts, I assume you were just saying to use moth crystals rather than moth balls?

I ran a search for the chemical you named and all sorts of things popped up. :eek:

I'll work on bug proofing my natural materials. I do live in one of those humid places. Fortunately, the only thing I've lost to date was a pack of Orvis marabou.

scotty macfly

Reaction score

That's what I was thinking, but couldn't find the words to explain it. I do like the Silica Gel Desiccant idea. With as little humidity that we get, even though it is more now than when I was a kid, the desiccants would be perfect to use and keep everything a little drier if needed.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I stick those little "DO NOT EAT" desiccant packs in my tackle bag, fly boxes, tool boxes, ..everything.
I sent off some seed packets the other day with one in each envelope.
But if you're concerned about humidity, nothing (! nothing !) works better than rock salt.

I have a wicked problem in my 225 year old house with the powder post beetles.
Like termites, they like "damp", but I don't think that there is a similar issue with clothes moths.
It couldn't hurt I 'suppose. :thumbup:

JDR

Reaction score
Great post thanks
I didn't know about this risk of insects

Keeping all the materials in a closed tackle bag is notte safe?

Thanks
It is only safe if the little bugs cannot get into the bag. Since some of the insects and larvae are so small I wouldn't trust anything that isn't sealed - very sealed, like water tight. Even then I think using something to repel the stray bug is a good idea. As I said in my initial post, I have used cloves and have had no bugs. The cloves have much more pleasing fragrance than moth balls, but cloves probably will need replacement sooner than the moth balls. Now, I add one or two moth balls to each bag as an added precaution. Hope this helps.