PMD's

dillon

Reaction score
Ephemerella Infrequens is typically the first of the PMD's to occur on western rivers. We typically find the hatch in full swing by the third week of June and plan our annual Montana/Idaho trip accordingly. I have been busy refilling my PMD box for the last two weeks. I like to put it off until just before the trip as it helps me get my mind ready for the fishing. This year I completely emptied the box and discarded the flies that were not up to fishing standards. Then replaced the ones that were, and began tying. After filling the box I started on a container of back ups and experimental patterns. The main flies in the box are floating nymph, emerger, dun, and spinner patterns. Micro fibetts are the tail material of choice for dun patterns and several of the emergers. This year I tied the tails with only two fibers. They were easier for me to split and I think the sparseness is more elegant looking. Besides, two is all that is needed to assist proper floatation and leave an imprint for fish two key on, in my opinion. My favorite pattern is the Thorax Dun. However, it is usually only fished when fish are clearly taking mature floating insects. When they are not the challenge is to figure out a pattern they will eat. This will often be a dun with a lower silouette like the compara dun, an emerger, or a floating nymph. Spinner falls can occur in the early morning and evening hours. Then a spinner is of course, a good pattern of choice. One of my experimental patterns this year is a fly with a fibett tail and a para post split wing, tied to imitate an emerging dun. I have confidence in my flies, however, they are only as good as the presentation. It is critical for the fish to see a drag free fly in it's feeding lane, or it's no dice... Therein lies the challenge.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dillon: Beautiful work on your fly box, congrats!
Best of luck on your upcoming Idaho/Montana fishing trip.