Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Fly Tying - Start of a new hobby

Quote Originally Posted by jonbo View Post
    Get 2 bobbins. A fly shop friend gave me an extra bobbin. I end up keeping two different spools of thread on bobbins almost every time I tie, just because he gave me that second one. I love having that second one with a different thread I'm going to use in a few minutes already on the bobbin.
    Trust me on this one ... get four! Best (and expensive) are the ones with the ceramic tubes. But you'll only buy these once in your life, they will be going strong long after you're gone.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

2. Thanks SDMT thanked for this post
    Likes rockriver, ejsell, hairwing530 liked this post

The most important tool on the bench is a razor blade. Seriously.

When you start tying, just remember the proportions of the tail, body, thorax, wing, etc. Try to tie a dozen or so of each type and make them look exactly the same proportion wise. That way, when you open up your fly box, they are all aligned looking really good.

If you get too far into tying a fly and it doesn't look right. Stop right there. Either undo what you did or break out the razor blade and cut the material and thread off of the hook.. There is no saving it and in the end it won't look right.

Use as few thread wraps as you can because excess thread wraps just add unnecessary bulk. Remember, proportions, proportions, proportions. . .

Good luck, have fun and welcome to fly tying. It's so much more rewarding catching fish on flies that you tied. You'll have a blast!
    Last edited by cuj0; 09-13-2016 at 09:15 PM.

4. Thanks SDMT thanked for this post
    Likes fredaevans, hairwing530 liked this post

I just got back into fly fishing/tying.
    After looking all info over.
    I decided on an Orvis premium kit. I know Iíll want better. But it doesnít look bad. Vice looks decent. Iíll use the kit to relearn. To practice.
    Iíve always loved Salmon flies. Would love to tie them. Or streamers that are like them.
    Before... I went crazy having to have the best of everything. Then I almost died 15 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12