Fly Tying - Start of a new hobby

mjsurfing

Reaction score
Starting a new hobby. I have just purchased a second hand fly tying vice and have never seen a fly being tied in real life.

What are the basic tools I will need?

What is the easiest fly to tie and the materials I will need?

I'm on the East Coast of Australia.

In freshwater I fish mainly for trout in mountain streams and lakes.

In the salt mainly bream, flathead and taylor

This will allow me to do some research on the net before I pick up the vice on Monday.

Thanks all

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
:welcomean :surprise: To the Dark Side young Luke Skywalker.

If married get a seperate credit card and have the bill/materials sent to you at the office. There are questions[poke] you don't want a 'Significant Other' asking.

Not been to Australia but LOVED fishing the 'South Island' across from you in my earlier years.

fae

L

Liphookedau

Hi & welcome to The Forum from another Aussie who is in The Blue Mountains.
I've been here with The Guys & Gals for a few years now & have been in Quite a few Fly Swaps as well & there are some really top Fly Tiers here.
You will find this site "The Best" as there are heaps of people here who fish all over The States Alaska & Canada etc.
Probably The best info & help you can get Starting Tying Flies is to watch Davie McPhail's
U-Tube Channel.
If you need any info on where to buy or source your materials especially Hooks shoot me an Email.
As Fred mentioned you'll need a separate Credit cards as Materials can become quite Expensive
Cheers.
Brian

wthorpe

Reaction score
savings will compound like a retirement plan in a Great Recession, or worse. BUT, I have slowly started into tying in the last 6 months or so after fishing about 15 to 20 years, and I think it is an interesting aspect of the fishing itself, as it makes you focus more on the nuances of the flies you fish with. I still cant tie worth a hoot but I am getting there. I think.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
First, welcome. Second, I just realized I'm late for an important date, so here's the short version of my response:

Go and click on 'forums,' scroll down to the 'Fly-tying' section, and find the stickies relating to beginning fly-tying. Or PM Silver Creek; he'll probably have your answers ready to go in his pocket like a gunslinger.

Peace.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here you go:
Scissors: I like Dr Slick Razor Scissors for fine work.
Dr. Slick Razor Scissors 4" | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

All purpose scissors for cutting hair, wire or anything that will dull the Razor.
ECO by Dr. Slick All Purpose Scissors 4" | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

Bodkin: You can make one or buy something like this:
Terra Brass Knurled Bodkin | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

Bobbin: You can go with a basic bobbin or buy one of the fancy ones that have a knob to control thread tension.
Merco Products Rite Bobbin | J. Stockard Fly Fishing
Here is a standard bobbin:
Stonfo Bobbin | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

If you plan to tie with deer or elk hair your will need a hair stacker:
Crest Tools Hour Glass Hair Stacker | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

If you plan on tying deer or elk hair poppers, you should think about getting a packer, but you can get by with just using your hands.
Hareline Brassie Hair Packer | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

You can look on YouTube and find videos on how to whip finish with your fingers or buy a whip finish tool.
Dr. Slick Whip Finisher 4" | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

Dubbin brush
Stonfo Comb and Brush Tool | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

Dubbin twister:
Stonfo Dubbing Twister II | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

Hackle plier, there are many types out there, here is my favorite:
Stonfo Pinza Elite Hackle Plier | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

Bobbin threader:
Stonfo Bobbin Threader | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

I might have missed something, but that should get you started.
I always recommend new tiers to get a copy of Charlie Cravens book "Basic Fly Tying". It is an excellent book that goes into detail on all the fly tying material and what to look for in hair quality and feather quality for different types of flies, what the different threads are designed to do best, and has lots of tying tips.
https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Crav...qid=1471133936&sr=1-3&keywords=charlie+craven

Charlie is a professional fly tier and owns a fly shop in Denver, CO. His web site has a fly box where he walks you step-by-step through almost 200 patterns.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

YouTube has hundreds of fly tying videos that are great, but they assume that you know how to tie and don't go into detail on the basics.

jonbo

Reaction score
Get 2 bobbins. A fly shop friend gave me an extra bobbin. I end up keeping two different spools of thread on bobbins almost every time I tie, just because he gave me that second one. I love having that second one with a different thread I'm going to use in a few minutes already on the bobbin.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Get 2 bobbins. A fly shop friend gave me an extra bobbin. I end up keeping two different spools of thread on bobbins almost every time I tie, just because he gave me that second one. I love having that second one with a different thread I'm going to use in a few minutes already on the bobbin.
Trust me on this one ... get four! Best (and expensive) are the ones with the ceramic tubes. But you'll only buy these once in your life, they will be going strong long after you're gone. :eek:

cuj0

Reaction score
The most important tool on the bench is a razor blade. Seriously.

When you start tying, just remember the proportions of the tail, body, thorax, wing, etc. Try to tie a dozen or so of each type and make them look exactly the same proportion wise. That way, when you open up your fly box, they are all aligned looking really good.

If you get too far into tying a fly and it doesn't look right. Stop right there. Either undo what you did or break out the razor blade and cut the material and thread off of the hook.. There is no saving it and in the end it won't look right.

Use as few thread wraps as you can because excess thread wraps just add unnecessary bulk. Remember, proportions, proportions, proportions. . .

Good luck, have fun and welcome to fly tying. It's so much more rewarding catching fish on flies that you tied. You'll have a blast!

Last edited:

SDMT

Reaction score
I just got back into fly fishing/tying.
After looking all info over.
I decided on an Orvis premium kit. I know I’ll want better. But it doesn’t look bad. Vice looks decent. I’ll use the kit to relearn. To practice.
I’ve always loved Salmon flies. Would love to tie them. Or streamers that are like them.
Before... I went crazy having to have the best of everything. Then I almost died 15 years ago.