Weighting nymphs for Czech nymphing

hivizadams

Reaction score
I'm planning to give Czech nymphing a try this season. I've been watching YouTube, and apparently the point nymph is supposed to be heavily weighted. Is anyone tying patterns specifically for this technique, and if so, please advise how you are tying your flies.

Thx.

J

james w 3 3

Jig head hook. Slotted tungsten bead. 4-5 wraps lead wire right behind the bead.
Now you've got a heavy nymph.
Lots of videos on YouTube, try a search for "perdigon nymph". Simple yet very effective. Since you'll lose a lot of nymphs simple = good.

don_p

Reaction score
I (prefer) would try this method instead of weighting your nymphs.

[ame="https://youtu.be/8P0lKoE1QIU"]https://youtu.be/8P0lKoE1QIU[/ame]

roachm

Reaction score
If you want to give euro nymphing a serious try, but the moderm nymphing DVD from tactical fly fisher.
It's worth the money and will definitely help with the learning curve.
They discuss the flies they commonly use and their theory behind the whole system.

Ill echo the above comment.
Perdigon flies are awesome
Jig hooks and slotted tungsten beads are the norm

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

irideaduck

Reaction score
If you want to give euro nymphing a serious try, but the moderm nymphing DVD from tactical fly fisher.
I've watched this video three times and two weeks ago took a six hour group class from Lance Egan and Gilbert Rowley (the film maker). The two aspect that I initially struggled with the technique was building tension to the fly with the cast and actually keeping enough tension to the fly. What I liked about the technique was the ability to get into smaller pocket water and really fish it, something I've tried with and indicator and was not successful.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I think the article misses an important point about the rise and fall of Polish nymphs. They became popular after the Polish team won a competition and shared a couple of their flies. But weaving them to achieve the two-tone effect was just too time-consuming. As James says up above, if you fish weighted nymphs on the bottom you're going to lose a lot of them. Who wants to lose flies that take an amateur 45 minutes to weave, when there are other ways to tie something that looks similar in just a few minutes? What wholesaler wants to hire professional tyers to tie a complicated pattern that takes longer to tie, when they can tie more of a simpler pattern that works just as well and sells for the same price?

planettrout

Reaction score
I think the article misses an important point about the rise and fall of Polish nymphs. They became popular after the Polish team won a competition and shared a couple of their flies. But weaving them to achieve the two-tone effect was just too time-consuming. As James says up above, if you fish weighted nymphs on the bottom you're going to lose a lot of them. Who wants to lose flies that take an amateur 45 minutes to weave, when there are other ways to tie something that looks similar in just a few minutes? What wholesaler wants to hire professional tyers to tie a complicated pattern that takes longer to tie, when they can tie more of a simpler pattern that works just as well and sells for the same price?
This article (below) follows more closely, the progression of Czech Nymphing. Please note the type of flies used for Czech Nymphing and the critters they imitated:

"CZECH FLIES
The first Czech nymphs were tied from materials that would bring smiles to faces of today’s fly tiers. Imagine a plastic foam body from a kitchen sponge, horsehair ribbing and a shellback from a salami. The use of grub style hooks gave the Czech nymph its characteristic shape and the original thicker patterns gave way to thinner, heavier patterns with the introduction of new materials that were readily available to the Czechs. In the beginning, imitative patterns were preferred, like scuds and caddis larvae."

https://bluequillangler.com/learn-fly-fishing/european-nymphing-methods/czech-nymphing/

These are hooks suggested for Czech Nymphing:

...from this article:

http://www.czechnymphs.com/index.ph...nymphs&catid=1:tactics-tying&Itemid=3&lang=de

I don't see any jig hooks or hooks for perdigon nymphs...

Further, the initial post said Czech Nymphing. This article differentiates the other methods of "Euro Nymphing" that have been put forth, in the posts above, which are NOT Czech Nymphing:

https://bluequillangler.com/learn-f...methods/which-method-should-i-fish-and-where/

PT/TB

Last edited:

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
I enjoy tying Frenchys, I use jig hooks, 14 usually and tungsten " disco beads , , ( octagon shaped bead head ). , I'll be honest I just can't enjoy fishing them though , I spend more time getting hung up on rocks , that I just don't bother with them , the only weight I used is the bead head , maybe I'll give it more time again soon , I just don't enjoy nymphing much , however I love tying them lol
Airborne

just4grins

Reaction score
Taught as a dry fly guy in 1980, and hardly ever nymphed until ten years ago. Caught fish, not as many as hoped, mostly through emergers, and swinging nymphs, as well as hopper/dropper style. Didn't really enjoy it that much. However, now living in CO for a while have learned to hate "bobbers." Euro Nymphing is a little like shooting grouse but it's more stalking and forces your attention. My initial take is it's got a thrill to it, and I don't mind loosing flies once in a while, anymore than wasting shot on birds. Time will tell.

boisker

Reaction score
It's a real skill and not one I've mastered:D
But know a couple of guys over here in the UK who predominantly 'euro-nymph' with long leadersor at least without fly line.
My guess would be it's very very different to fishing with a floating indicator, something which isnt really done on rivers over here, and without a doubt it's a lot more sensitive as you are in direct contact all the time.
Developing the experience to have the correctly weighted nymphs, with the correct spacing takes a lot of practice... these guys will constantly change the nymphs as they work up the river as river conditions alter, it's a very dynamic form of fishing that takes a lot of concentration.
I don't really agree with the vid, when I Euro nymph I do lose lots of flies just like he says... basically because I'm not very good at it, but watch someone who really understands how to fish the technique properly... they don't lose flies so much.
Done well it's deadly, you can see the slightest nudge from a fish... I guess that's why it's this technique that constantly wins at world comps.
I've got a hanak nymphing rod... I promise myself each close season that the next season is going to be the one where I focus on it and crack the skill, but it's a big commitment.... maybe next season:D:D

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I too am about the jig hook. Easier to keep weight known. I don't lose any more flies than if I'm floating in indicator. I do more Spanish style because around here a rod moving over/around fish is just a no no. So if my weight selection is too heavy I will know real quick, just like seeing your indicator doing the "jiggy" as it floats. I've gotten to the point I will but straight weight near my point fly just to avoid having to swap the fly all the time. My point fly isn't the fly I am truly fishing, it's the other two I catch 98% of my fish on. This winter I am going to experiment with a three fly rig that that doesn't use a weighted nymph but incorporates a 2" section of 3x tippet to accept split shot. I need more versatility in weight. If I can get this setup to work, I will be spending an extra hour in the day fishing and not playing with my setup. lol