Red Floss??

harryhh

Reaction score
Hi All,

To start practicing fly tying it was suggested to get some red floss.

I looked at walmart and didn't see any that I could tell was red. What kind is red? Cinnamon? Does it make much difference if it's waxed or not?

I thought I saw some thread called Floss. Would that be better or just more expensive?

Harry

dennyk

Reaction score
It could be red, orange or whatever color you can see well as you are assembling your fly. As far as waxed thread, I use the unwaxed and for example if I'm tying spun material I use very tacky archery string maker's wax on the thread.

The reason for waxing as I go I can put more wax on the thread when needed and it does a good job of locking your materials down with few wraps. What I don't like about waxed thread is the build up of wax on bobbin tips.

Denny

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
Harry here's another thought , check out is js stockyard , fly shop , reputable , good service , they have a nice selection of threads , they give brief descriptions of each , they offer multi-packs of various colors , inexpensive , I wasn't aware Walmart sold tying material , but IMO if you start tying don't short youreself on inferior products , Walmart is representing sewing threads and cross stitch floss , while it may work for some , do youreself a favor pick up a few rolls from a fly shop , start w/ a black, tan , and red ..you don't need every color starting , but I'd suggest you get the appropriate thread that's for tying flies , you're putting the time in , so use proper materials ,you'll be glad you did down the road and on the river .....just my 2-cents from trial and error

Airborne ( David)

flytie09

Reaction score
I told you that....... here is an article explaining it. Fly Tying Material: DMC Embroidery Floss for Midge Patterns | Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog

Or you can go this route - Fly Tying Floss - 12 Spools -Assorted Colors in Dispenser Box - MAT111A

I bought the 10 color set from Cabelas 30 years ago for more than $7.50..... and I'm still using it.

Good for midges, Royal coachmen, streamers, Salmon flies, you name it.

Cheers,

ft09

pnc

Reaction score
Why the floss ? Recommendation come from dentist ?
Seriously , seems like waste of time.
Perhaps for flies you plan on. What sort of flies will you be tying ?

Saw wax vs unwaxed...... one gentelman preferring unwaxed. May be preference for trout flies. Used thin unwaxed for those once. Flies for salt I use heavier flat waxed thread. Suppose you could look at it like loss only I prefer using a bobbin.

...... pc

brownbass

Reaction score
I use floss for soft-hackles and Cracklebacks. Chinese red, orange, yellow, and olive green. The colors look great and they are easy to use.

Bill

flytie09

Reaction score
He wants to practice fly tying. His original question was what were some easy to come by and inexpensive material he could practice with..... yes floss was on my list. Not much practice in wrapping colored thread on a hook.

Using floss on flies is as old of a fly tying material as there is. I started tying with it and tied hundreds of flies with it before I dubbed my first fly.

ft09

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Harry, "floss" is both flat & strong, and I would bet red is suggested as Denny said because it's easy to see. Being flat, it's not going to bulk up like a round thread, and new tyers have a tendency to make more thread wraps than are necessary.

I tie a lot with Danville Flat Nylon thread, which is basically a floss. I use it for a wide variety of fly types & sizes, from 14 up to about 5/0. Been using it for many years and it's available in some very bright colors.

As far as practicing, why not simply start with simple flies & use a tying thread? All fly tying is about proportions & tying technique that results in a durable finished fly. There are basic techniques, such as how to start the thread on the hook, and everything else evolves from there.

IMO, if you're going to tie, tie something that you can fish with! :D

harryhh

Reaction score
Say Airbourne,

I went to walmart looking for real dental floss, not thread.

I've heard of people using floss to tie flies several times. I thought they meant real dental floss. I'm just now getting the idea that is not what they meant. But, I'm still not really sure. Anyway, at walmart I became confused about just what I was supposed to be looking for.

Walmart only sells a few fly tying materials online but not much that I've seen. Occasionally in my small local walmart they'll have some flies or poppers.

It seems we are talking about a thread that is floss-like and called floss. I guess I'll stop looking for real dental floss.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I use floss for soft hackles which is one of my most versatile flies for a number of species. Add some floss in a couple colors next time you place an order from a fly tying supplier. The right stuff is cheap and will last for years. Red, yellow and orange are good choices IME. There is single strand and multi. I prefer the single for most flies.

flytie09

Reaction score
Harry,

I didn't mean for you to look for cinnamon dental floss.... but who knows maybe trout like the flavor..... bass like watermelon right. Salmon like anise...... I'm dying.

Floss is a thin flat thread type material that can be either separated strands of embroidery floss or come in spools of individual strands. It comes in a myriad of different color options. If you can think of a fly to tie..... you can most likely use floss to make the body with it.

See this youtube video..... fast forward to 9:48.... YouTube

Thanks for the laugh. I'm not laughing at you Harry.... just the visual thought of someone asking the Walmart pharmacist for some red dental floss for tying some flies...... classic stuff right there. :icon_bigg

ft09

harryhh

Reaction score
Okay, now I'm getting the idea of what floss is.

Do I have this right?

Floss is a flat, multi-strand thread that has little or no twist to it. It lays flat when you wrap it.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

By-the-way.

My Orvis beginner fly tying book came early this evening. That should help.

Also, I was fly fishing at dark. Some fairly large water creature ran off with my favorite popper. :mad: :)

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Never mind about what is floss. Flytie09 just explained it.

ddb

Reaction score
I must have floss around somewhere given my 50+ years of accumulating. But damned if I use it anymore.

It shreds on trout teeth, fades over time, and is a PIA to use as it builds on the shank unevenly and shreds if it touches the hook point.

I mainly need something like it for soft hackles.

On smaller flies --14 and down -- I just use tying thread with its endless color options and then a thin coat of clear goo. Zap it with the light and finish the fly immediately. Or you can make a dozen or so bodies w/o breaking a sweat. They last forever, and you can add hot spots or even a contrasting rib or some flash over the main light colored body.

Same process for ants.

DDB

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I've heard of people using floss to tie flies several times. I thought they meant real dental floss. I'm just now getting the idea that is not what they meant. But, I'm still not really sure. Anyway, at walmart I became confused about just what I was supposed to be looking for.
Harry: Trying to learn fly tying all by yourself can get very confusing. Look for a fly shop in your area, most will offer beginner fly tying lessons at very reasonable rates or maybe a Trout Unlimited Chapter. Getting some hands on training where you can ask all the questions that come to mind like "floss" will help you learn the basics much quicker and it will help prevent you from buying the wrong materials, plus help in forming good tying habits.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
IMO the multi-strand floss is more trouble than it's worth
Like bigjim I use the Danville Flat Nylon thread instead. In fact I use that stuff a lot.

Dental floss can be useful too.
One of my go-to nymphs, the Coleman March Brown, uses dental floss for the rib ;)
(an excellent fly)

silver creek

Reaction score
Hi All,

To start practicing fly tying it was suggested to get some red floss.

I looked at walmart and didn't see any that I could tell was red. What kind is red? Cinnamon? Does it make much difference if it's waxed or not?

I thought I saw some thread called Floss. Would that be better or just more expensive?

Harry
Floss comes in many colors and is used in flies where a smooth surface of uniform color is needed.

Some floss changes color when it is wet so make sure that the color of the floss stays true when when wet. Most often the colors get darker and I have seen red floss the looks almost black when it gets wet.

The red in a royal wulff and the yellow in a humpy are floss.

harryhh

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to everyone in my two posts that I have going. I am reading them all and I've looked at half of the articles and videos that you have sent me. I will eventually see them all.

flytie09, I almost did go to the pharmacist and ask which brand floss was red.:D

I saw some of that embroidery floss in the store but wasn't sure what to do with it. Now I'll get a few different colors.

These last couple of posts here have some really great flies. Some people are really good at this craft.

Me, I already have a couple of ideas on how to tie a fly with real flapping wings. :)

Harry

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have a box of embroidery floss in my materials collection that I've never used.
I think that at one time I thought it might be good for Swedish style crocheted nymphs, but that's something that I never learned to do.
Regardless, that's not really the kind of floss you want

As for "real flapping wings"....that's a good way to twist up your tippet :secret:

flytie09

Reaction score
I never thought suggesting floss would create such a stir...... everyone made some valid concerns with its use. Is it easy to handle? No. If your fingers are chewed and rough... then you will struggle with it as it will separate and fray. And the colors can bleed when wet or change color.

But I still stand by the suggestion. It is a good starter body material for nymphs, midges, drys and streamers. Is it the ideal choice.... no dubbing is buggier and maintains it's color. A dubbing starter kit may be a great suggestion also.

I'd love to list some other standard fly tying materials and tools for you to get started with.... but try the basics with easily available stuff. Learn to tie your thread, build a thread body, wrap some material on, build a head and half hitch to end it all..... In an hour you can tie 20 zebra midges with these basic steps.

This wasn't a bad request you had. Everyone has their opinions. Who knows.....You might hate it or get frustrated and quit. However, for $20 you can get enough easy to find stuff to start out with (floss, yarn, wire, dubbing, peacock, pheasant tail, tying thread, bobbin and a pair of scissors) to tie your first couple flies.

A basic grub.... a caddis nymph, zebra midge, scud or blood worm can all by tied without hackle of any form...... Can the same be done with thread vs floss? Yeah....But learning to wrap something as tricky as floss will teach you dexterity and how to wrap and tie off materials. It's cheap. $1 a piece at Wally World for a life time supply. Just don't go crazy with every color they have.

Dubbing / Floss / Yarn Colors - black, brown, white, yellow and olive covers you for many patterns. I don't know why I chose red except that it is used in a variety of patterns. Maybe I should have said green..... mint flavor. :lol2:

Keep at it Harry... it's something you can enjoy for years to come. :fishing:

ft09