Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
  1. Default Shrink tubing for Welding lines!

hi all Merry Xmas! Was wondering if anyone knows a source for shrink tubing in different diameters and/or different colors for welding loops on the end of different sized lines? I know Rio sells a product but I am sure there is stuff that is "off label". Are there any tricks that I have to worry about? How strong are they?

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: Shrink tubing for Welding lines!

Can’t help with links as I’m in the U.K., but easy enough to find....loads of electrical suppliers will hold it.
    As for tips... you need the narrow nozzle on the heat gun to focus the heat point.
    I tend to overlap about 1.5” of fly line, but take the shrink tube past that a couple of inches, but only melt perhaps 1” of that... basically that ensures a good seal on the line but doesn’t take the heat anywhere near the bare line.

At the loop end... I push the shrink tube up tight to a very small loop, just big enough to get a thick paper clip threaded through the loop to hold the line while heating. When you peel off the heat shrink it won’t have melted and bonded right up to the paper clip so you end up with a nice and small loop.

4. Likes mcnerney, Ard liked this post

From what I see posted shrink tubbing is to cover or finish splice. Splice is of welded type.
    From experiences with welded loops from mfgs on fly lines. I cut them off. Fold back and whip finish loop. Strongly recommend whip finish for loops in fly lines.
    Radio Shack or most anyplace dealing with electronics will have shrink tubbing.

........... pc

6. Likes mcnerney, Ard, bumble54 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by pnc View Post
    From what I see posted shrink tubbing is to cover or finish splice. Splice is of welded type.
    From experiences with welded loops from mfgs on fly lines. I cut them off. Fold back and whip finish loop. Strongly recommend whip finish for loops in fly lines.
    Radio Shack or most anyplace dealing with electronics will have shrink tubbing.

........... pc
    +1 for the whip finish loop
    This is 3 separate whip finishes on an 11wt line...GOOP style cement for the coating
    Takes all of 2 minutes. Guaranteed not to let loose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I bought a various colored/size lot of heat shrink tubing from amazon. I also bought a heat gun... but it's too darn hot and melts them. My backup has been to use Kevlar tying thread and make a good solid wrap, a couple half hitches, a dap of superglue, then slide the tube over it quickly. A nice coating of UV cure for extra smoothness through guides. It seems to work ok for up to Salmon.... never had a braided loop or overlap loop bust off yet.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

10. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Welded loops work just fine. When you notice them starting to lift, it's time to redo them. That normally takes a year or two of hard fishing for me.

Just get the smallest clear tubing you can find. In Australia, I buy it from Jaycar, but some place like RadioShack will have it too.

The biggest problem I had was finding an adjustable heat gun with a small nozzle. Once I got that, the rest was easy. (390 C for PVC, 350 C for PU line coatings. Easy.)

Cheers,
    Graeme
    IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

Failing to practice is practicing to fail.

12. Likes Ard liked this post

Hey Rip,

I do about the same thing as you with factory loops, I cut them off and install 50 pound braided loops. In the picture you posted is exactly why I do that, that clear mono will dig into a soft coating from just about any fly line especially if your catching big strong fish like I do one right after the other, Now after that being said I haven't ever lost a fish do the Mono cutting through, however I have seen factory loops just about to break Braided loops just take a minute to install and you can't break one my 2 cents-CB

14. Thanks terrymac thanked for this post