Question for you Streamer Junkies, not so much for the dry fly afectionados

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Lately I have been following Gunnar Brammer on Youtube, he has some excellent tips and new ideas on tying streamers and making dubbing brushes.
This recent video shows how he combines two different colored feathers and some flash into a single dubbing brush, pretty interesting technique.
I'm wondering who else is following this guy on YouTube?

YouTube

kevjr

Reaction score
I watch all of his videos, great tier and I like how he explains the reason why he puts every material on the hook and how it changes the action of the fly.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I watch all of his videos, great tier and I like how he explains the reason why he puts every material on the hook and how it changes the action of the fly.
Kevjr: Yes I agree, that is what I really appreciate as well.

knotjoe

Reaction score
I like what he does and he explains it quite well, but I could never tolerate the equipment he is using for more than a brush or two. Case in point, the permanent attachments at both ends regardless of material length.

I prefer to go basic on brush making boards because it allows one to position the material section at one end, twist to grab, and then reposition the spinning hook as close to the material as deemed necessary. Far more efficient and results in a better twist through the material with less effort.

If the wire twist on the bare sections gets to extremes, it’ll break before the material section is nicely twisted with lighter wires. Some materials resist and shunt it to the bare wire.

Love the (handled) brushes he uses. Have several pairs of dog brushes (slickers) for dubbing mixers, with both wire and plastic tines, and they are the best tool thus far for combing and “fuzzing” long brushes of mixed materials. Very affordable from your local farm supply, but stay away from pet shop prices on these.

Being more of a synthetics guy I’ve never tried a feather or two the way Gunnar does, but may do just that in the future. Ain’t gonna be marrying with UV cure resin, more like making 10 sets ahead of time with simpler adhesives and getting it all ready for a spin-only session.

Very impressed by this man’s gauging of brush length-to-fly size. Mine have always been made and treated of more like long lengths of chenille where I use what I need, clip, and use the rest on another tie until it’s gone. Some brushes are 12”-14” and I’ve never paid much mind to how much is used on what size streamers. The taper idea certainly warrants awareness of this brush making facet, more like real fly tying than what I’m accustomed to.:rolleyes:

jspfishing

Reaction score
Lately I have been following Gunnar Brammer on Youtube, he has some excellent tips and new ideas on tying streamers and making dubbing brushes.
This recent video shows how he combines two different colored feathers and some flash into a single dubbing brush, pretty interesting technique.
I'm wondering who else is following this guy on YouTube?

YouTube
I follow him and enjoy his videos a lot. He has opened me up to a whole new level. I actually ordered a dubbing brush table to tie some of those beast flies for saltwater, Browns, and musky. I actually just read Bob Popovics “Fleye Design” now he has a lot of great techniques. They look simple but there’s a huge science about it. I actually met a lot of his Personal friends this weekend and they walked me through/tied a lot of the streamer designs. Also, evaluated my work. Now that I understand Popovics expertise with bucktail I’m curious how it can match up with dubbing brushes. He’s adamant that bucktail moves a lot better than synthetic material. When I get that dubbing brush table in I will let y’all know how it is. Recently I was experimenting with Chockletts Game Changer.

cphubert

Reaction score
Yes I've been watching him, Gunnar Brammer has a lot of good technique and is an accomplished tier. I'm not so much a brush junkie yet, do tie some articulated patterns but troll mostly traditional or tandem streamers.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Yeah I've watched quite a few of his vids just for making the larger brushes for those big flies. Outstanding tyer in that aspect. I really need to make a large brush "creation station". Something to mix up the tyer's table one night. LOL