Mop flys

jalberts1

Reaction score
Im a long time tyer but a new member of this forum so certainly dont want to ruffle the hackle of the purists in my first post; BUT........ Any of you been tying mop flies? I have been playing around with them when is too cold to fish and while it may lack the classic looks a Bergman type wet fly they certainly seem to work. I tie them with a soft hackle collar or a dubbing collar, the only limits would be your creaive juices. They dont resemble many things swimming in streams but the trout apparently dont care, a muted blue mop fiber with bright blue ice dub collar seems to work very well. Am I still a member in good standing?

ia_trouter

Reaction score
A good fishing buddy of mine uses them a lot when we fish together. I told him he is definitely going to Hell for this but it's not affecting him so far lol. He has actually given me a few dozen mop flies.... and pigs will fly before I ever use one. :D:D:D

Seriously though, welcome to the forum. We all have our own concept of what constitutes fly fishing, a "real" fly etc. We all draw our own personal lines. I am far from a purist, but mop flies are way on the other side of my "line". I don't need to use them to have success. If you want to use them, knock yourself out. It isn't affecting me.

vamtnbiker

Reaction score
We use them at our Project Healing Waters group, mainly because it's an easy fly for new tiers to make. I was reluctant to use them at first, but when I finally did last year the results were explosive! For stocked trout in our local waters I have found nothing better. I have found that orange and bright green have produced the best for us. I usually tie them with a dark sparkle dubbing collar and a bead head.

jalberts1

Reaction score
Then Im thinking wiggle worms and plastic beads are also beyond the pale? Oh well Henry Ford had his critics in the harness industry too.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Welcome! I've also been tying a long time & this mop fly craze is not the first time I've seen controversial materials or flies being used. Clouser Minnows come to mind since I use a lot of them, as many consider them a "jig". Opinions will always vary.

I haven't tried tying or fishing with mop flies, yet. Being more of a warmwater & salt angler, I have no issue with them. They're "tied" and not some molded plastic facsimile, so as far as I'm concerned using them still constitutes fly fishing.

No matter what type of fly is used, someone will have take issue with it.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I have tied a few but haven't caught anything with them yet. Maybe because I didn't try them in blue!

If you like the Mop Fly, you'll love the Squirminator:

YouTube

J

james w 3 3

I'd rather fish a squirmy wormy.

:yikes:

Not for any philosophical reason, just because I've found them to work better.
Yes, I'm going to hell too.

jalberts1

Reaction score
Aren't we all. On a more traditional topic I have just returned from a bird hunting trip to Western Kansas and was fortunate to shot a lot of quail so when skinning them I took extra care to save as much as I could and used borax to cure them. I have used all manner of game birds in tying but never quail (I don't know why I haven't) I am pleasantly surprised at how well they work for small soft hackle. If you have never used quail try them I think you will be happy you did. For those of you wondering why there are no quail in the "traditional quail states" they all moved to Kansas

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Then Im thinking wiggle worms and plastic beads are also beyond the pale? Oh well Henry Ford had his critics in the harness industry too.
Not a great choice for a first post on a forum to be honest. Try not to get too angry when some don't approve because most won't. You knew that when you typed the post. Some of us came to fly fishing specifically because it is generally regarded as more challenging. It's OK to do it that way too IMO. Most will just not respond to the thread most likely. We've already had this conversation more than once.

Hang around and get to know us. Pretty good group of fellas. Busiest fly forum on the net for a reason.

jalberts1

Reaction score
Angry?? What could you possible have seen that would indicate I was angry. At my age I only get angry about important things, and whether some people like or dislike certain flies does not qualify as important. I think a whole lot of people are a little too thin skinned about the whole fly fishing thing.

jalberts1

Reaction score
I like the chartreuse too, have caught some big fish on chartreuse streamers & buggers, don't know what they resemble but trout seem to like that color.

darwin

Reaction score
Chartreuse would be good to imitate the Catalpa worm. One of my favorite colors in warm water and salt.

pnc

Reaction score
Lol.... should have kept it straight forward about fly. Left them, out of it so to speak. If you can fashion it to a hook, cast it with fly line & rod. And catch fish. Knock yourself out.
Don't let any so called "purist" bs influence you. There is level after level after level of people that call themselves purists. And all of them decide where they fit.
All decide what fly to tie on or not. Use or not use. And some have to feel aloft somehow.

......... pc

el jefe

Reaction score
Not a great choice for a first post on a forum to be honest. Try not to get too angry when some don't approve because most won't. You knew that when you typed the post. Some of us came to fly fishing specifically because it is generally regarded as more challenging. It's OK to do it that way too IMO. Most will just not respond to the thread most likely. We've already had this conversation more than once.

Hang around and get to know us. Pretty good group of fellas. Busiest fly forum on the net for a reason.
I got no sense of anger in his post.

jspfishing

Reaction score
I literally just learned about mop flies a few hours ago after I told someone I got owned on the river when it was -2 out. I had no idea there was flies that stir up controversy lol.

jalberts1

Reaction score
Some people like controversy, if its not apparent they will manufacture it. Go to any gear restricted (flies only) stream and listen to comments on what constitutes a "real fly" and what should be allowed. Back to the chartreuse color, I can see it in warm water or salt but Northern Michigan trout streams? Like I said I dont know why trout like this color but they do. I suspect it just triggers a predatory response and they take a whack at it

brownbass

Reaction score
Bass Pro sells Mop Fly Chenile. That's all a Mop Fly is made of, add what you wish to it, it is still chenile. If you use the tan or beige color and a dark head it looks like a crane fly larva. You won't catch as many fish on it as you will a purple colored one. My favorite color.

Bill

jalberts1

Reaction score
MMMM, gonna have to try purple. I get such a kick out of catching fish on such a simple fly.