Air Bubble Patterns

unsinkable

Reaction score
Recipe – Dave’s Bubble Emerger
Bubble Emerger small.jpg
Hook – Long shank, light wire, size 12 to 18
Shuck – Variegated Z-lon or Antron (colors of your choice)
Thread – 6/0 green, yellow, or light brown
Body – Thread
Air Bubble – Clear heat shrink
Wing – Web Wing or similar (white or off-white)
Collar – Grizzly saddle feather cut flat on the bottom
Legs – Brown rubber

Real air bubble nymphs using heat shrink - what I have termed the Dave’s Bubble Emerger. I realize there is plenty of controversy over Gary LaFontaine’s claim of an air bubble causing a nymph to rise to the surface and emerge, but few dismiss the use of a bead or some type of material (usually Antron) to create this elusion. So, if you are going to tie a nymph or emerger that has this elusion why not make it a fly that really has an air bubble. (Note: this technique can be applied to any fly where air bubble elusion is desired) Fish this fly anywhere you would any other emerger, but especially in surface film or foam.

Recipe – DC Shuckster
Shuckster3.jpg
Shuck
Hook – Long shank, light wire, size 8 to 14
Thread – 6/0 caramel or light brown
Tail - Brown Biot
Body – Brown heat shrink
Collar – Brown/Green Web Wing of similar
Legs – Brown rubber

Emerger
No hook
Thread - Green or color to match the emerging fly
Wing – Web Wing or similar (white or off-white)
Collar – Grizzly or white saddle feather
Legs – White/Black spotted rubber

Taking Gary LaFontaine’s claim of an air bubble causing a nymph to rise to the surface and emerge I have gone one step farther and developed the DC Shuckster. This nymph/emerger semidry pattern as it is designed to float has both the nymph shuck and the emerging fly with air inside both to hold it right at the surface. Fish this fly anywhere you would any other emerger, but especially in surface film or foam.

unsinkable

Reaction score
Make sure you get POLYOLEFIN tubing which has a low specific gravity (less the one). All heat shrink tubing is not the same, the stuff at local hardware and auto shops often has a specific gravity of 1.4 or more.

Dave