First self tied fly: mini streamer

skel

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your encouragements :) The challenge is tying more than one, still looking reasonably identical LoL
I should be able to spend a few hours on the river soon and put it to the test ;)

okaloosa

Reaction score
well done...wait till you start tying #24 midges! you will be amazed at what can be done.

biker1usa

Reaction score
It will catch fish. My first fly looked like a bird crapped it out and I caught a 26 inch 6lb 6oz Rainbow the day I first took that fly out to fish. I lost it long ago and wish I still had it. I would copy it and keep tying those flies like that.

skel

Reaction score
Well, it does catch fish: three nice cutthroats, on an intermediate line :) I then tried some wet flies (tandem size 12 and size 14) and they did just as well :icon_lol:
So I guess the trout were hungry and would have taken anything that looked edible ... Nice thing is it didn't put them off. So we'll call it a success :icon_wink

silver creek

Reaction score
Congratulations on your first fly!!!

Now that it has caught fish, I suggest you put that fly and save it. I wish I still had the first fly I tied.

You will become much better at tying and it good to know where you started.

biker1usa

Reaction score
That is one ugly fly. IMHO ugly flies catch better quality fish. One of my best Rainbow trout caught was on a fly that was probably uglier than "butt ugly". Wish I still had that fly so I could imitate it. Nice tie.

silver creek

Reaction score
View attachment 17007

This is my first fly fresh from the vice.
On #12.
It looks as if it could do well... we ll see ;)
Thank you guys :)
I was wondering if the hackle fibers were not a bit too long ...
Well since you asked, the wooly bugger is often the first fly tied by a beginner fly tyer because it is will catch fish even when it is not perfectly tied. Hence your fly was very successful!! Well done.

Often a new fly tyer does not have the material to tie a properly proportioned fly so I understand that it may not have been possible to tie the fly to match the following suggestions.

Your hackle fibers are a bit long. Generally they are tied with in at the back of the fly and wound forward so the longest hackle it at the front of the fly and the hackle fibers get shorter at the back. This gives fly a taper like bait fish have.

Secondly, the marabou is fuller than on your fly and should be about as long as the fly body. Your's is a bit sparse and a bit too long. The problem with a longer tail is that it can result in short strikes.

Last edited: