Have you seen a cone head like this?

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
I was stream fishing in Alaska last September when a guy from Montana wanted to fish in my hole. Since he had to catch a flight in a couple of hours, I said "Sure. Go ahead."
He proceeded to catch 4 in about 45 minutes while I watched (I had caught numerous fish here over the last several days, but not on this day).
After he left, I went back to my backpack to eat lunch and found he had left me two of his flies. I put one on and in short order caught 4 nice silvers of about 12# each.
I just got around to dissecting the two flies and found that the only real difference was the CONEHEAD. It is 3/8" in diameter at the base, which is hollowed out and is 1/4" in length. The sides are straight, not bullet shaped and it appears to be made of either stainless steel or tungsten.
Does anyone know where these can be purchased? The largest ones I can find are 1/4" in diameter and the sides are curved rather than straight.

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
I have never had success at posting photos on here. After spending most of the day searching the web, I think I have found them! They are called "tube fly cone heads" and are sold by HGH (the people who make fly tying vises). They are made of plated nickel and sell for $3.70 for 20. They are about 1/4 the price of Tungsten and the large size weighs 21.8 grains.
I won't know for sure until they come in, but the fellow at HGH (they sell tube fly materials as well as vises) was very helpful. He gave me the dimensions and even weighed them!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like what we would call a drop weight. These are not really cone heads but small cylindrical weights that can be added anywhere on the tube. Were these weights stashed under materials or fixed at the head area like a cone? If they are not conically shaped then they technically aren't cone heads. I use different brands of drop weights including HMH and they are probably what you have there..