What is a good substitute for CDC?

myt1

Reaction score
The BWO recipe I follow calls for CDC to make the wings.

On the one hand I find this somewhat wasteful of material, since I only use the tip of the CDC and usually end up discarding the rest of the feather.

And on the other hand the CDC kinda gets matted and broken over time if the fly spends a significant amount of time in my fly box.

I was wondering if there might be a synthetic material that I can substitute for CDC that would be just as good.

Thanks.

bazzer69

Reaction score
CDC is rubbish, so why bother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I don't do CDC either...just never got started with it.
For such flies that where others might choose to use CDC, I'll pick snowshoe hare or Polarfibre. Whichever is more appropriate.
Polarfibre is a fine textured synthetic intended for "Puglisi" style baitfish patterns, but greased up it floats like a cork. You can't sink it.
Snowshoe hare of course is used on many emergers and Fran Betters' famous dry, the Usual

audax

Reaction score
Polypropylene yarn. Zelon was mentioned. BRF now offers micro-zelon. EP Trigger Point fibers is quite nice but a bit costly.

silver creek

Reaction score
The BWO recipe I follow calls for CDC to make the wings.

On the one hand I find this somewhat wasteful of material, since I only use the tip of the CDC and usually end up discarding the rest of the feather.

And on the other hand the CDC kinda gets matted and broken over time if the fly spends a significant amount of time in my fly box.

I was wondering if there might be a synthetic material that I can substitute for CDC that would be just as good.

Thanks.
It depends on what you are tying with the CDC. What specific flies are you tying?

ivory arrow

Reaction score
EP trigger point fibers are a synthetic fiber that can be used in place of cdc in many applications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myt1

Reaction score
Thank you so much.

I think I will order both the EP trigger point and the Polar fiber and see what works better for me.

This site is a wealth of information.

Thanks, again.

ivory arrow

Reaction score
You’re welcome. There are some helpful videos for tying trigger point flies on The EP website. Some cool ideas for patterns too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dillon

Reaction score
CDC is a material that I use and want to love but have a hard time getting there. It's beautiful and has a fishiness, but yes it's fragile and it's hard to revive when wet and/or after eaten. I like to reinforce it in combination with some of the mentioned synthetics or a wisp of a teal or partridge feather.

Substituting a material for CDC is like substituting for other natural materials like polar bear or heron. Other materials will work but they won't have the same qualities and effectiveness, imho.

Last edited:

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
CDC can be a constant battle. It takes continuous maintenance using Frogs Fanny. I dust the fly as often as every 4 or 5 floats. Tiemco Dry Magic (paste) allows you to rub a little into the CDC and dust afterwards using Frogs Fanny. This usually helps. I try to use parachute and Compara Duns as they are better floaters but CDC seems to work better. You need to rinse the fly off after catching a fish and squeeze dry and reapply. Also, sometimes a barely floating fly works better.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I also waste a lot of the CDC feather using only the tips. The thicker stems don't work as well. You can scissor up the left over and use it to dub your thorax. Ken Meade, a really good tyer from the Evening Hatch in PA me gave me this tip when I was taking some lessons. I believe Tony Gehman of TFO uses this technique also. I even see prepackaged CDC dubbing. Cutting it up works just as well and there is no waste. It can be slippery to dub.

silver creek

Reaction score
Some very effective flies like the CDC and Elk, the IOBO, and the IOBO Humpy require CDC. CDC is such an integral part of these flies that nothing else will perform as well. The IOBO and IOBO Humpy are so easy to tie that I can't see using a substitute. When the fly is done; save it, cut the materials off and us the hooks to tie up more.

These three flies go back to the very early days of the internet before the World Wide Web and Netscape Navigator. Fly fishers all over the world communicated by email using Flyfish@, a worldwide mailing list. The lack of images led to some interesting discoveries. Hans emailed us his directions for tying the CDC and Elk. No one in the USA tied with or knew about about CDC before Hans introduced it to Flyfish@. You need to understand that no one had a photo of the CDC and Elk before the WWW. All we had was the Flyfish@ mailing list, in which a description of how the fly was tied was emailed to each member. Think old school type written instructions except you read them on a monochrome computer screen. No graphics except what you can draw with ASCII characters. So although Hans described how the fly was tied, we could not actually see how it was tied.

There is a bit of serendipity in all this because, members tried to duplicate the CDC and Elk. One of our members, Jack Tucker, tied up what he thought was a CDC and Elk from Han’s directions. It was a killer fly. It was later discovered that Jack’s fly was not a CDC and Elk at all.

It was not until the The Flyfish@ dry fly swap that members saw the CDC and Elk tied by Hans himself. The swap page can still be found on line and is still maintained. It can be found here.

Complete Dry Fly Swap

The CDC and Elk is on this page at the bottom right.

Section One of Dry Fly Swap

Once Jack realized that his fly was NOT a CDC and Elk but an effective fish catcher, he called it the IOBO for "It Ought to Be Outlawed." From that fly was spawned the IOBO Humpy. Although it is not as well know as the CDC and Elk, the IOBO Humpy is a pattern that has caught many a trout for members of Flyfish@. Hans has put both the pattern and a video up on the WWW.

The original IOBO is basically a single type 4 CDC feather wrapped around the hook with the tips forming the upright wings.

IOBO Humpy

mnigro

Reaction score
Strip the fibers from the byproduct and use it on another wing. CDC an be trimmed.

Also, when fish slime gunks up your wing, wash it it the river and make a few sharp false casts. Swap for a new Fly and the old one is dry in a few minutes.

I love cdc.

planettrout

Reaction score
A lot of tiers get frustrated with CDC. Learn about CDC here:

Tying with CDC | Global FlyFisher | Dutch Hans Weilenmann tells the history of the use of CDC feathers in fly tying, covers the different types of feathers and their use and lists both CDC tying tips and a bunch of CDC patterns.

Use the highest quality CDC that is available. Here are three of the best one may find here in the U.S:

Marc Petitjean Select CDC Feathers

Polish CDC

Premium CDC - TroutHunter

None of the synthetics have the qualities of CDC and in particular, the capability of the barbules to trap air bubbles. A feature that makes these feathers great for subsurface Caddis Pupa patterns and some clinger Mayfly emergers. This book has additional information on tying and using such patterns:

Tying Emergers: A Complete Guide by Ted Leeson, Jim Schollmeyer(March 1, 2004) Paperback: Amazon.com: Books

And using this trick with a rubber band instead of false casting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOPDH6E1zOY

These two products are in my vest when using dry CDC patterns:

http://www.petitjean.com/online/en/fishing-accessories/157-dryer-amadou.html

http://trouthunter.shoplightspeed.com/trouthunter-products-trouthunter-cdc-fly-dressing.html

LITTLE CADDIS THING (Hydropsyche/Ceratopsyche) – Petersen/Variant …

If I take the time to tie these CDC patterns, I am going to make certain I enjoy fishing them...the designer of the above pattern states that in constructing a CDC pattern, most tiers do not use enough CDC...

PT/TB

boisker

Reaction score
I use CDC for pretty much all my small upwing flies.... which account for probably 70% of my dry fly fishing...
I love the stuff, but I only tie simple and quick flies...

Try and find a CDC supplier that has smaller feathers, which reduces wastage, 2-4 feathers depending on size of fly, tie in quickly job done...

When fishing a rinse and some frogs fanny type produce after a fish and a couple of sharp casts... good to go:D

Reaction score
The CDC emerger is a very effective pattern. I have been amazed at how effective it can be even after it has been slimed up. Just wash it and apply Frogs Fanny. Apparently the fly looks better to the fish than the fisherman.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Take some time to view Marc Petitjean's YouTube tying videos, he shows how to he ties with CDC, using his tools, but they are a bit expensive, once you see how they are used you can buy cheaper substitutes. Here is an example of one of his videos:
YouTube

Its interesting to see everyone recommending Frog's Fanny to renew a CDC fly once it gets water logged. I have been using a CDC oil that TroutHunter puts out for a few years now. But the other day I was watching a podcast on "Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio" called "Dry Fly Addication", by Nate Brumley. Nate only fly fishes by dry fly and he doe it year around, not just when the hatches are coming off in the summer. He says he uses Lochsa by Loon to dress his CDC flies once they get water logged.

englishspringer

Reaction score
It’s been mentioned already several times but I agree that EP trigger point fibers are a good substitute for CDC. I use the EP fibers for really small BWO’s, like 24-28 size. It is expensive so I still use a lot of CDCbut the EP fibers work great in the smallest sizes.

I fish several tailwaters where you need to go really small, especially for dries, and I still use CDC primarily. If you use C&F floatant on the CDC before you fish it it will float a long time. After catching a fish. Just swish it in the water a few times and give it a small touch up with frogs fanny and it’s as good as new. If you’re treat with C&F there is no need to continuously treat with frogs fanny or similar desicants.

I wish Silver hadn’t mentioned the IOBO, that is one of my go to Flies, especially on pressured fish! Ridiculously easy to tie, ugly, but effective.