Lots of material for sale - should I buy?

spm

Reaction score
It's only a good deal if it is material you will use. Looking at the pictures, there seems to be a lot of what I would call oddball stuff. I don't know what you want to tie, but if it is trout flies, the hooks alone would turn me off. They are really large, which makes me think most of the assortment is geared to large, maybe saltwater flies.

The best way to acquire materials, is to pick a specific fly you want to tie and buy the material for that fly. Then move on to another fly and do the same. Eventually, you will accumulate an assortment of materials that you will actually use. I know this forces you to think about what you are doing, but that isn't necessarily bad.

steve

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
It's only a good deal if it is material you will use. Looking at the pictures, there seems to be a lot of what I would call oddball stuff. I don't know what you want to tie, but if it is trout flies, the hooks alone would turn me off. They are really large, which makes me think most of the assortment is geared to large, maybe saltwater flies.

The best way to acquire materials, is to pick a specific fly you want to tie and buy the material for that fly. Then move on to another fly and do the same. Eventually, you will accumulate an assortment of materials that you will actually use.

steve
Thanks, Steve! I fish for almost exclusively trout and was noticing that the hooks were pretty big. I guess I need to find a good pattern or 2 for a beginner and get that stuff. Thanks for your input

silver creek

Reaction score

The best way to acquire materials, is to pick a specific fly you want to tie and buy the material for that fly. Then move on to another fly and do the same. Eventually, you will accumulate an assortment of materials that you will actually use. I know this forces you to think about what you are doing, but that isn't necessarily bad.

steve
I agree with Steve. A lot material is "linear" like the crystal flash, and bucktails plus lead eyes, and chenille pipe cleaners. These are used on streamers, Clouser minnows and crab patterns.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I have bought a couple of "lots" of used material on other sites. I can tell you from experience, you are better off slowly acquiring material a couple patterns at a time, as was said by others. I bought a lot of hooks for $20, it wasn't a bad deal, but there were maybe 3 styles that were useful. The other 2000 hooks were not. Same with a hackle lot. Many of the usable feathers had been plucked, leaving me with less than ideal sized feathers. Buy new material, be deliberate with your purchase. This will help you tie better quality flies. Compromises in fly-tying are a slippery slope, a couple on any particular pattern, and it is no longer the same pattern--which can be good--but not what you want every time. If you see something that you know is something you will use, it can be a great deal, but those deals are often too good to be true. Remember, if you are tying flies with poor material, you are not only wasting money, but you are wasting time. Also, you won't learn as quickly with bad material as you would with material that behaves and performs as it should. If you are getting serious about tying, you probably have realized, or soon will, that it won't save you money most of the time. If it does, it won't be for a while. It will, however; help you be better prepared, give you a better understanding of the sport, and a greater satisfaction with each fish caught.