Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What Materials Should I Buy

I have stuff to tie nymphs but am wondering what materials to buy if i want to tie dry flies or streamers for brookies

Blog Entries

Default Re: What Materials Should I Buy

Lars,
    Decide which flies you want to tie, then look at the recipe and only buy what is required for that fly. Otherwise, you could end up spending money to buy materials you don't really need.

steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

Blog Entries

Lars

Checkout Charlie Craven's Fly Box, he has over 200 patterns listed with step by step instructions and lists out all the required materials.
    Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials
    Larry

I agree with steve (spm), collecting materials can become an addiction, so for now only buy what you need for specific patterns, or styles if you wish to vary colors. For example, a Woolly Bugger is a great style that can be tied in any colors or combinations you like.

You can spend a small fortune on materials & hooks otherwise, and still not have what you need for specific patterns. Buy what you need and there is always extra so the collection grows.

I've been collecting & tying for about 52 years, and have more materials and hooks than some fly shops I've been in, and still am always adding as I never seem to have everything for specific flies.

It's an addiction that is best dealt with slowly over time.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

5. Likes spm, scotty macfly, hairwing530 liked this post

I am going to suggest a different way to decide what materials to buy.

I suggest that you ask some fly fishers in your area what works on brook trout. Not only ask the name of the fly but also the SIZE of the fly they most often use. Then buy and fish the flies to see what works for you. Buy the materials for the flies that work.

Having said that, a favorite in my area of Wisconsin is the Pass Lake which originated in my state. Here is the original and some variations of the Pass Lake. It can be tied and fished as dry fly, a wet fly or as a streamer. You need to decide which version to tie,

The fly in the top image below is a common variation of the pattern. Below it is a wet fly version

Pass Lake Fly Pattern | Wet Fly original recipe

http://namebini.com/The%20Pass%20Lake.pdf

Pass Lake Streamer - Fox Valley Trout Unlimited
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

7. Likes scotty macfly, hairwing530 liked this post

Thank you guys for the advice i really appreciate it

You've been given some great advice already, but there is one trick you can put to use to increase the number of flies you can tie without increasing a lot of material. Good waterproof markers.

With markers you can change the color of a strand of grizzly hackle rather than buying a whole bunch of feathers in a different color. That way you can try a new fly color out with the materials you already have. Later you can always buy or dye some feathers in the colors that work for you.

They can be used on lots of other materials too from fur to synthetic. You can add bars to rubber legs, add a hot spot to a fly, add bars or streaks to a streamer.

I usually have a few markers on the stream with me to change a fly to match the hatch when I have nothing close.
    Cindy

10. Likes dillon, scotty macfly, dennyk, hairwing530 liked this post
  11. Default Re: What Materials Should I Buy

Quote Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
    You've been given some great advice already, but there is one trick you can put to use to increase the number of flies you can tie without increasing a lot of material. Good waterproof markers.

With markers you can change the color of a strand of grizzly hackle rather than buying a whole bunch of feathers in a different color. That way you can try a new fly color out with the materials you already have. Later you can always buy or dye some feathers in the colors that work for you.

They can be used on lots of other materials too from fur to synthetic. You can add bars to rubber legs, add a hot spot to a fly, add bars or streaks to a streamer.

I usually have a few markers on the stream with me to change a fly to match the hatch when I have nothing close.
    Any specific markers you recommend?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I like PrismaColor, but there are a lot of good new ones out there. I haven't tried them, so I can only speak from my experience. There are probably a bunch that work or are better. Maybe Google "markers fly tying".
    Sharpies work, but it seems that they lose some color when fishing, but that could be that I don't allow enough time for them to dry and set before I cast the fly. :-)
    Cindy

13. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Some of my standard dry fly materials include, superfine dubbing in an assortment of colors to match the various colors of the insect patterns I am tying. I also have an assortment of deer and elk hair. As you know, these hairs are hollow and provide excellent flotation. CDC is anther great dry fly material. For tails, I like Antron and microfibbets.
    Good quality dry fly hackle can be expensive, so I wouldn't suggest investing in it right away as there are many effective patterns that don't require it. Here's a great one:

15. Likes cpiercem, hairwing530 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast