The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Have you seen a cone head like this?

I was stream fishing in Alaska last September when a guy from Montana wanted to fish in my hole. Since he had to catch a flight in a couple of hours, I said "Sure. Go ahead."
He proceeded to catch 4 in about 45 minutes while I watched (I had caught numerous fish here over the last several days, but not on this day).
After he left, I went back to my backpack to eat lunch and found he had left me two of his flies. I put one on and in short order caught 4 nice silvers of about 12# each.
I just got around to dissecting the two flies and found that the only real difference was the CONEHEAD. It is 3/8" in diameter at the base, which is hollowed out and is 1/4" in length. The sides are straight, not bullet shaped and it appears to be made of either stainless steel or tungsten.
Does anyone know where these can be purchased? The largest ones I can find are 1/4" in diameter and the sides are curved rather than straight.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:32 PM

thehunnydohandyman is a glorious beacon of lightthehunnydohandyman is a glorious beacon of lightthehunnydohandyman is a glorious beacon of lightthehunnydohandyman is a glorious beacon of lightthehunnydohandyman is a glorious beacon of lightthehunnydohandyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Have you seen a cone head like this?

You have a picture?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:47 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I have never had success at posting photos on here. After spending most of the day searching the web, I think I have found them! They are called "tube fly cone heads" and are sold by HGH (the people who make fly tying vises). They are made of plated nickel and sell for $3.70 for 20. They are about 1/4 the price of Tungsten and the large size weighs 21.8 grains.
I won't know for sure until they come in, but the fellow at HGH (they sell tube fly materials as well as vises) was very helpful. He gave me the dimensions and even weighed them!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 04-28-2017, 02:49 AM

dwitchey is on a distinguished road

What did the rest of the fly look like? Thanks Dave Im going in Late Ausust.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:34 PM

winstonwt is a splendid one to beholdwinstonwt is a splendid one to beholdwinstonwt is a splendid one to beholdwinstonwt is a splendid one to beholdwinstonwt is a splendid one to beholdwinstonwt is a splendid one to beholdwinstonwt is a splendid one to behold

The caddis fly shop sells them.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

It sounds like what we would call a drop weight. These are not really cone heads but small cylindrical weights that can be added anywhere on the tube. Were these weights stashed under materials or fixed at the head area like a cone? If they are not conically shaped then they technically aren't cone heads. I use different brands of drop weights including HMH and they are probably what you have there..

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors