The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 10-06-2017, 02:29 PM

harryhh has a spectacular aura aboutharryhh has a spectacular aura about
Default I can't find a video of using a dubbing rake.

Hi All,

I would like to see a video demonstration about using a dubbing rake, but I can't find one. Can someone put a link to such a video please?

Harry
Old 10-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard
Default Re: I can't find a video of using a dubbing rake.

Hi Harry,

I did the obligatory google search and didn't find a video but then I didn't spend half an hour trying different words.............. There are some text descriptions that may be of use if you search Dubbing Rake Tutorial.

I don't have one, old school and still just use the Bodkin / Dubbing needle to pick things out. I also use a tooth brush to fluff things and a small piece of Velcro loop side works well too.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fredaevans, cpiercem, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 10-06-2017, 03:48 PM

Hello Ard,

We might be talking about two different things.

I'm not real familiar with these things but, it sounds like you might be talking about a dubbing 'brush' used to fluff the dubbing body of a fly. ( I keep getting brush and rake mixed up.)

I've seen a couple of articles where using a dubbing 'rake' to collect dubbing material is mentioned. One had a picture of a rake right in the fur of a patch of fur, but it didn't really show the results of using a rake.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 10-06-2017, 03:55 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

A dubbing rake "shaves" the fur from the hide. Just pull the rake across the skin. It is pretty intuitive. That may be the reason why there are no videos.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 10-06-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fredaevans, cpiercem, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 10-06-2017, 04:31 PM

So, the angle may control what type of dubbing material is gathered. If so, that would be different from just using a scissors.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

This morning, I was going to make my own dubbing rake. Seemed simple. But, looking at the pictures of different tools it became apparent that more needed to be known. Shape of teeth, depth of teeth, angle of teeth, angle of rake, and more. Some of the tools looked like they couldn't work at all, but were recommended. So, just what was the rake doing and how did it do it? What makes it different or better than a simple scissors? (rhetorical question)

Harry
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 10-06-2017, 04:53 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

A dubbing rake removes fur at the skin. A scissors does not. So that is one difference.

As for making a dubbing rake, some use a piece of hacksaw blade and fashion a handle for it.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fredaevans, harryhh, cpiercem, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 10-06-2017, 05:29 PM

I think I will try making one and see what happens.

I've been trying to purchase an inexpensive one with my orders of fly fishing stuff. Either the site didn't have a rake or it was too expensive to purchase for trial use.

If I make even a half decent one, it should give me an idea of how they differ from scissors.

Harry
Old 10-06-2017, 07:32 PM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

harryhh,

My dubbing rake came from Hareline. It was not that expensive,

I picked it up from Bob Marriott's which is my local shop. They now offer the Terra Deluxe Dubbing Rake which is even cheaper at $3.95.

Terra Deluxe Dubbing Rake | Dubbing Tools | Fly Tying Tools | Bob Marriott's Flyfishing Store

flytire once suggested a piece of a hacksaw blade over on the Classic Fly Rod Forum...I suppose that might work...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 10-07-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fredaevans, harryhh, cpiercem, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 10-07-2017, 12:54 PM

Thanks planettrout,

I've seen some similar ones at about $2.50, but not on a site that I have ordered form. So far, an inexpensive rake has involved $4 to $6.50 in shipping.

I guess I'll just wait til I order from a site that has an inexpensive rake, or make my own. It looks like a video of a rake in action is hard to come by, so, I'll have to guess whether my homemade rake is doing what it is supposed to.

Harry
Old 10-07-2017, 01:10 PM
I can't find a video of using a dubbing rake.

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhh View Post
Thanks planettrout,

I've seen some similar ones at about $2.50, but not on a site that I have ordered form. So far, an inexpensive rake has involved $4 to $6.50 in shipping.

I guess I'll just wait til I order from a site that has an inexpensive rake, or make my own. It looks like a video of a rake in action is hard to come by, so, I'll have to guess whether my homemade rake is doing what it is supposed to.

Harry
Ahhhh, a major 'This pixxes me off' sort of thing.

fae
Likes harryhh, hairwing530 liked this post