Veiled Language in Posts;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

In the recent past we have had several posts made wherein the members used abbreviated spellings to convey either profanities or what is defined as obscene language. In some cases I have contacted the posters about editing out the language, in other instances moderators other than myself have taken actions regarding the post.

Unfortunately in every case the members who had made the posts have taken offense at being edited. This thread is meant to be an advisory for anyone who would consider using colorful euphemisms veiled or otherwise in their post. We are going to remove any terms abbreviated, veiled, or other, that are obviously a short cut form of the original words.

This action is no more a form of censorship than when the use of foul language is considered unacceptable in a public place of business and rules against such language are enforced.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Thanks, Ard. The fact that we don't have to see that stuff, veiled or otherwise is one of the reasons I love this site so much. I have left other sites that not only allow the veiled language, but also right out, blatant profanity. It has no place here or anywhere for that matter. My mother always told me that "You are what you speak..." and I believe it to be true. If someone doesn't like the fact that NAFF does not allow this, there are plenty of other sites that do, and they are welcome to patronize them.

Thanks, guys, for maintaining this site to a higher standard; its much appreciated!

Kelly.

mojo

Reaction score
Guess I don't have to worry. I don't veil my language. The website does it for me!:rolleyes:

littledavid123

Reaction score
Ard

Thanks for this post as I couldn't agree more. I prefer we raise the standard as opposed to lowering ours.

Dave

fyshstykr

Reaction score
When it comes to a good story or comment I'm sure if we try we can get the point across without using derogatory terms or profanity, although I will admit there are times it's tough to do.:D

darwin

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Censorship, but as we are guests on an open forum I agree with your policy. :clap:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Please don't get the wrong idea regarding this thread and its purpose in being posted.

I don't think we as a membership should consider implementation or exercise of this rule as censorship. It is simply a rule that will help to keep the posts here civil. We are fishermen, talking about fishing. The terminology that has had to be removed from posts was an unnecessary part of the text. Keeping a lid on the way things are expressed is a rule we have. The software is designed to automatically disallow certain words. When a person deliberately does a work around in order to use language that otherwise would be disallowed by the text writing program the intent is clear.

This does not mean that every piece of text is examined for 'purity' some things go through the forum without problems. The posts that end up altered or removed are those that draw reports from the membership. Every time this has happened the post in question went beyond anything that had been previously accepted and so was removed.

I hope this makes clear that the posts here are not dissected for any reasons whatever. If one is reported for content, spam, or any other reason then that post is examined.

FlyBum

Reaction score
Ard, The following is not meant to be a argument! However, I hope it does make us all think a little.

I will admit that I have veiled a couple words in a way that was obvious what I was doing. I guess to me the only thing that tends to offend me is statements made that regardless the words used are obviously meant to be aggressive or offensive to another forum member. Then again I spent a great deal of my time in the past as part a group that investing a great deal of time judging those outside the group and those within that would not conform. As a result I personally have kind of gone to the extreme of not caring much about whether someone uses a bad word. I have to admit unless its every other word that comes out someones mouth or in their writing I just don't get offended and I have to admit getting offended over an occasional bad word IMO is childish. That doesn't mean that I will not go along with this, but IMO and in my experience on this forum I have read posts that I found offensive for the lack of civility and none of them have been posts I've read that had veiled obscenity, but often they did have what came across IMO as passive aggression toward another forum member...isn't that veiled aggression. Isn't that going to cause others to feel unwelcome more then an occasional bad word. I say it does as I've actually had conversations with active forum members who consider not coming back as a result of it. IMO its more often than not the intent and attitude of a post that makes it vulgar or obscene or not.

Last edited:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
.....what came across IMO as passive aggressiveness toward another forum member and isn't that veiled aggression and isn't that going to cause others to feel unwelcome more then an occasional bad word. I say it does as I've actually had conversations with active forum members who consider not coming back of it. ....
Veiled aggression and outright aggression towards other members is why I pretty much avoid the spey pages. I have in fact used what has occurred there as an example and warning for things in the rare event it starts here. I have not seen where this is very much of a problem here. I'd like to see it stay that way. On the other hand, there have been a couple of instances where someone makes a statement or two that is bad information. People in many cases come to the forum in order to learn. It does not help them to be fed a line of bologna. People who use the forum in a respectful and honest way are never going to feel unwelcome here. I'm a little curious as to what got those members panties in a bunch.

And on the lighter side; ........ The Nun opens the freezer door and the Parrot is standing on a frozen Turkey. He says " before I say another word I want to know what he said!"

I'll bet you didn't think it was a real joke. :D