What's Your Profile Like?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Content is what makes us different here on The North American Fly Fishing Forum. So I'm going to say a few words about that.............

I sometimes click a members profile to see if they mention where they are from or anything else about themselves in the 'About Me' page. Unfortunately many are blank, many don't even mention what state the member is from. No one has to write anything on the profile page but a little info makes you seem like more than just a user name on a forum :)

I just noticed that my personal page here that is home to the blog and 'about me' stuff has passed 11,000 visits from different members :eek:

Another thing worth mentioning is the 'Blog' feature we have available here for every member. Many times I've had to remove blog links from posts where members start a thread just to say, "Read more here url@myblog etc etc". Every time I see these and edit them I wonder why not post to a blog here? Our rules don't allow posting just to direct people to your own web site because we want content here. No, our blog feature isn't fancy like one you can put on-line yourself, but if you want readers this is a good way to get them.

So that's what I had to say; having a profile page is not a bad thing, and writing a blog here into our forum is a good way to create your own personal forum within the forum.

Ard

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
How did I know people wouldn't take this seriously.............
Morning Ard,
I see your point and believe me, I'd like to add that info., more than you'll ever know.

There are many reasons why people don’t wish to incorporate unnecessary identifiers into their daily activities here.
Stalking, being one.
Their employers and the use of company time & resources would be another.
A distrust of how this information might be used in an ever changing internet business environment, by the public at large and data miners in general, would certainly make the list.
And the beat goes on……

Best to leave the door open to all and welcome what they can add, rather than admonish them for what they can’t..
The alternative is, a website that suddenly falls very quiet, due to the lack of postings by members who wish to keep privacy issues, private.

For now and for later I will remain, TT

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I would prefer that they at least put where they are located in their information so that it appears in the header of their posts. If you were to search "where are you located?" in the forum, I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of results. There is a practical side to at least that portion of it. Advice for the Blue River where I come from has little to zero relevance to the Rainy River where I am at now.

I am not worried about the name so much. Some people would prefer to keep their real name private and I am OK with that.

H. Lambert MacFarlain. :D

How did I know people wouldn't take this seriously.............
Sorry Ard. The wise cracker side of me took over. I suffer from a bad case of Heckle and Jeckle syndrome. :rolleyes:

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I think I'm covered. Sometimes when you mention too much about yourself others may take it the wrong way.

There should be a "how did you get your login name" thread, like the one about how you got your avatar. Here's a hint.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The thread wasn't meant as an admonishment to any members. I was just suggesting that a little background helps when we are either reading a post or answering a question from other members. The use of the blog feature was a large part of what I was posting about. Very few of our members are using the feature.

I understand why many of us chose not to use our real names as log in / user names here. When I registered I took a screen name because I was worried about privacy. I did include my age and location. As the years unfolded I edited my info and added a little more.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I didn't make my self too clear on my first point (log in name). Use what you wish, but the User CP has a signature line, just plug in you first name at the least.

As to my last point, DD goes right to the issue. The answer to a given question can be very locationally specific. Given the general location (type/size of the water likely to be fished) an answer of a 7wt 10 foot rod may be totally inappropriate for someone whose fishing small streams.

Conversely, chasing Steelhead with a 7' 4wt would not be a good call in the PNW. Could you use either, in either place? Yup, but it would be less than optimal.

oarfish

Reaction score
I use my login name because it has some tribal meaning for me. I would also like to see a full member profile but will admit that a first I had not completed mine until I wanted to become part of the forum, a member with some validity. I look at empty profiles and see a poster, view a full profile and I see a member in this extended fly-fishing family or club if you wish. I believe being a member here has drawn me closer to many members that I could show up in there driveways and be welcomed.

Rick

Reactions: Ard

theboz

Reaction score
I use my login name because it has some tribal meaning for me. I would also like to see a full member profile but will admit that a first I had not completed mine until I wanted to become part of the forum, a member with some validity. I look at empty profiles and see a poster, view a full profile and I see a member in this extended fly-fishing family or club if you wish. I believe being a member here has drawn me closer to many members that I could show up in there driveways and be welcomed.

Rick
Ditto!! Well stated!

milt spawn

Reaction score
I have a two part riddle in my profile and just a few have responded to it, and only theboz has answered both creckly.:clap: milt

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I knew this would happen but I figured I would not get to see it.

This is the counter that records visitors on the profile page; [This page has had 11,111 visits]

Pretty cool, all ones or eleven's depending on how you look at it.

If I could know who tripped the 11,100 and eleventh visit I would send a prize. :)

random user

Reaction score

Rick
This makes me think about what I have included and haven't included in my profile. I know why I am vague about most stuff. this thread has me thinking though. A site of this nature is only a good as the active member's validity and the validity of their contributions.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
O.K. Ard,

I decided to play along. Wrote up a bio and posted it. I guess I've gotten to old, because it only would accept half of it.

Nip and tuck:thumbsupu, TT
I can relate. :doh:

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

This makes me think about what I have included and haven't included in my profile. I know why I am vague about most stuff. this thread has me thinking though. A site of this nature is only a good as the active member's validity and the validity of their contributions.
Much truth to the above. In many ways this Fora is like a British 'Pub.' We talk, we exchange experiences, observations that 'might work for you' - or not.

But the bio info gives me a perspective as does the location info. A question asked, knowing the posters location has kept my fingers off the key board on many occasions. Nothing I could add that would contribute a wit's worth.