World Cup Soccer Added

cb

Reaction score
Seeing as USA is competing in the soccer World Cup 2014 - I thought for a bit of fun we could guess the scores on the forum. The system will keep track of everyone's scores and the winner of the most points gets a prize!

0 Points for a completely wrong bet
1 Points for a properly guessed match winner
2 Points for a correctly guessed match winner and goal difference (Winning team/Losing team)
3 Points for a exactly guessed match result

Good luck England! (and the USA .... :)) :thumbsup:

Colin

PS. Forum - in the Lodge

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/vbsoccer.php?do=bet&l=1

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Colin

I made my bets, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but it should be lots of fun!

Larry

runningfish

Reaction score
Get your boots - England might need you ;) - they havent much of a team this time! :(
Yeah, gotta put them on and see if I can still do a series of keep the ball up.
I am sorry my friend, but the Three Lions haven't been much of a team for awhile. Can't wait for the England vs Italy group match.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I'm all in .. but I'm a nut case for watching 'footie.' Played the 'Great Game' for many years. Goalie .. no one wanted to be in front of the net .. and I wasn't all that swift on my feet anyway.:rolleyes:

Also Reffed (35 plus years) and the UK version of this Fora refer game questions to me for 'interpretation.' May sound silly but a current "Law's of the Game" is inches from my hand.

As the Center Ref my best Match ever was the 'Winner takes all' in a U10 match local competition. Teams from four different States and you had to be damned good to get into the last round.

Teams/Coaches/Parents in the center circle and I 'explained' how much I hated to blow my whistle..... "Don't make me go there!"

"NO FOUL, PLAY ON!"

And Dear God did they ever. No memory of who won, but for 70'ish minutes these young men ran their hearts out. Only one real stoppage as a player was laying on the ground 50 yards behind me and the Parent's were aware I had no clue.

Amazing how fast you can shut down a game when needed and Mom/Dad gets your attention.

fae

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Dang it!

CB make this a 'stickie' so it doesn't get lost on page four of postings.

Fred

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Mine are in.

fae

runningfish

Reaction score
I played football/soccer since I was 8 years old. Played the goalkeeper, right fullback, centre back and defensive midfielder (I like to tackle).

I Haven't played for awhile now but I liked the idea of NO FOUL, PLAY ON unless it is a bad one. I had a 190cm Yugoslavia guy scissored me down when I played for my college team in Australia, I thought that I had broken my left ankle when feel down in slooow motion.

fredaevans

Reaction score
I played football/soccer since I was 8 years old. Played the goalkeeper, right fullback, centre back and defensive midfielder (I like to tackle).

I Haven't played for awhile now but I liked the idea of NO FOUL, PLAY ON unless it is a bad one. I had a 190cm Yugoslavia guy scissored me down when I played for my college team in Australia, I thought that I had broken my left ankle when feel down in slooow motion.
Most Officials really don't communicate with the Players/Coaches pre-match as what's going to happen/not going happen over the next 90'ish minutes.

Most Officials are 'afraid' to pull out their cards and get peoples attention. I was not. First 'yellow' usually only took 5 minutes for someone to do something stupid. Example: Free kick and you give/back off 10 yards (that's 30 feet and a hell of a long way) and 'snuffle-snuffle-shuffle' and 4 or 5 at best.

Actually did this at a 'winner takes all' Tournie. Asked them to move back and zip ..... Issued six of them yellow cards. That point on, if/when, I blew my whistle everyone got the hell out of the way.

M

mridenour

Think I'll stay out of this one. I'm not even sure what soccer is.

boomslang

Reaction score
Group G looks absolutely brutal. USA have to play really well to qualify from that group. All great teams. Should be fun to watch.

zeolite

Reaction score
Since the Scots didn't qualify despite beating Croatia twice and will be cheering my present home country on. Go USA!

I will also be supporting anyone who is playing England!:D

runningfish

Reaction score
We already have some mouth watering group matches in Netherlands VS Spain, Germany vs Portugal and England vs Italy. Hup Holland & Forza Azzuri.

zeolite

Reaction score
Not that I am the kind to blow my trumpet you understand but since no one else has said.

I WON! woo hoo

Next international on my calender is when Scotland take on Germany in the first of the European Championship qualifying rounds.

"Gulp"

fredaevans

Reaction score
It's usually those who know nothing about the sports end up with better predictions. :D
There may be some serious truth to that HS, serious truth. Fottie going on at the moment recorded from earlier this AM.

fae

A bit of fast forward and team that should have been the 'mop on the floor' comes away with a 2-2 tie.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Not that I am the kind to blow my trumpet you understand but since no one else has said.

I WON! woo hoo

Next international on my calender is when Scotland take on Germany in the first of the European Championship qualifying rounds.

"Gulp"
Scotts don't stand a chance in hell. No disrespect intended.

zeolite

Reaction score
Last couple of minutes of the game and it is 2-1 Germany. If the referee hadn't bottled a sending off for Durm and Scotland had taken a couple of their missed chances then we could have won that!

Great performance against a great team. Time to eat humble pie Fred!

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

and in the last few minutes the referee manged to really **** me off. Since when is grabbing an opponent by the neck NOT a sending off?