Piscifun joins the supporting advertisers on the forums.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
You will start to see some banner adverts from Piscifun around the forums with some reviews of their gear and maybe a contest or two to come soon.

They have been selling their very reasonably priced fly and conventional tackle in the US market for a while now with favourable reviews elsewhere on-line.

We appreciate their support of the forums and hope you will click on through one of the banners to have a look at their product range.

Thanks,
Paul

herchammer

Reaction score
I own one of their reels, the model was called the Sword, the one I have is a 3/4 and is in the same color combo as the image that S&S posted above. Granted, I don't have a lot of experience with high end tackle, so take my comments with that in mind.

The reel is reasonably well machined and constructed. I have only had a couple of fish on the reel, and the drag performed reasonably well. The spool is mounted on the spindle using a knurled, self retaining cap that threads on. I like this feature. The tolerances are nice and close, the drag on the one I have is sealed. I have had the reel through two seasons of fishing now, and the finish is holding up nicely. The drag is adjusted using another knurled knob on the frame. The only detractor I can see with this little reel, is that the drag adjustment backs off pretty easily, so if I am not paying attention, and I do hook into a larger fish I may not have the drag when I need it. I haven't taken the time to experiment with tightening the screw on the knob to see if that would "fix" the problem.

I'm going to be honest, if you're taken with the allure of high end gear, this may not be your thing. I bought the reel, and paired it with an inexpensive 3wt rod, and it has provided many hours of enjoyment on the ponds and creeks that I have access to. I believe I gave $39 for it, and if I could find another one in a 7/8 wt I'd give it a try.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I've seen there stuff on Amazon quite a bit. They look nice and the reviews are pretty positive. Seems like decent stuff for the price, though I haven't personally gotten to play with them yet.
Anyways, welcome to the forum and thanks for the support!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

kevind62

Reaction score

Rainbow on 5/6 Sword

Another rainbow on a 5/6 Sword

Brown on a 5/6 Sword

I palm my reel for drag so I set the drag just tight enough to prevent major backlash. After a few hours of casting and several fish the drag did work loose a bit. I always tighten my drag once I land the fish to keep my line from feeding out while I unhook the fish so I pretty much reset it after each fish. I find it hard to blind set a drag since you don't know how big or small the fish you hook is going to be. Setting a light drag and palming gives me more flexibility.

Overall , I agree with herchammer. The reel has nice tight tolerances and performed really well on a 4 day fishing trip with morning temps below freezing.

I also have this reel in a 7/8. I haven't tried it out on trout yet but a test run on bream at home it did well. Can't wait to put it to a real test.

Last edited:

Piscifunreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
You will start to see some banner adverts from Piscifun around the forums with some reviews of their gear and maybe a contest or two to come soon.

They have been selling their very reasonably priced fly and conventional tackle in the US market for a while now with favourable reviews elsewhere on-line.

We appreciate their support of the forums and hope you will click on through one of the banners to have a look at their product range.

Thanks,
Paul
I have to say, Paul, you are a very nice guy to talk with. Very kind. Act fast. I knew you are a staff member, an editor. Turns out you are Editor-in-Chief. Awesome. Again, thank you, Paul.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

I've seen there stuff on Amazon quite a bit. They look nice and the reviews are pretty positive. Seems like decent stuff for the price, though I haven't personally gotten to play with them yet.
Anyways, welcome to the forum and thanks for the support!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

I work for Piscifun. Sword reel worth the money. If anything is wrong with fly reel, never hesitate to contact Customer Service. Staff would be very glad to help. As herchammer said, if you often use high end gears, Sword may not meet your expectations. If you wanna know more from me, PM me directly.

Piscifunreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
Ollive,

Now I know for sure :)

We are happy that Piscifun has joined our group of supporting advertisers!

Ard
It is a great community. Piscifun would like to contribute to it. All nice members here, share their experience, stories or reports. That's very helpful. Sorry for the previous spam checks. :)

Piscifunreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
I palm my reel for drag so I set the drag just tight enough to prevent major backlash. After a few hours of casting and several fish the drag did work loose a bit. I always tighten my drag once I land the fish to keep my line from feeding out while I unhook the fish so I pretty much reset it after each fish. I find it hard to blind set a drag since you don't know how big or small the fish you hook is going to be. Setting a light drag and palming gives me more flexibility.

Overall , I agree with herchammer. The reel has nice tight tolerances and performed really well on a 4 day fishing trip with morning temps below freezing.

I also have this reel in a 7/8. I haven't tried it out on trout yet but a test run on bream at home it did well. Can't wait to put it to a real test.
Hi, Kevin. Thank you for sharing. Sword and Blaze fly reels are classic models Piscifun produces. We really appreciate it that customers offer us feedbacks, reports, and reviews. It matters to improving on products. Part of reel design comes from some customers' feedback.

kevind62

Reaction score
My pleasure. I just recently purchased a 5/6 Blaze in blue to replace a smaller arbor reel that came with the rod as a combo. I like color for the fly reels. I like the additional character it adds. I searched for a particular color but could not find it. So I sent your service department an email with a suggestion. Hoping you'll offer either or both of these in pink or pink highlight. During the month of October, when I'm fishing or hunting I try to wear something or use something depicting this in my photos to support the cure. Although, I was a bit caught off guard this past Oct on a recent fishing trip. I didn't have anything with me due to my origin of departure for the trip. Figured I'd be able to pick up something in the town we were staying in and could not find anything. I have pink highlighted salt water rigs and crappie rigs. Along with pink accented hunting gear for this purpose. Just getting in to fly fishing and having a hard time finding this in the exact gear I want.

Hi, Kevin. Thank you for sharing. Sword and Blaze fly reels are classic models Piscifun produces. We really appreciate it that customers offer us feedbacks, reports, and reviews. It matters to improving on products. Part of reel design comes from some customers' feedback.

mrshark

Reaction score
I bought a gunmetal color sword fly reel wt 5/6. It performed well. Light, smooth, nice finish. A sweet reel for the money. :cool: I'd like to thank herchammer and kevind62 for sharing their experience with it. :thumbsup:

pnc

Reaction score
Was looking at reels 2 days ago..... plan on getting a couple of the 9/10 Blaze, think that was the name. Spool capacity is on low side. But gel-spun cures that. Seems perfect for back up. Use Fin Nor FR10 on St Croix 10w for tarpon (jaw dropper means picking up 12w).
Got a 3/4 reel last week, for $25. Different mfg...... but advertised similarity. Machined, ball bearings, disc drag. No wobble... soundly made. Sold me on the Piscifun I'll be ordering soon. Even though they will be more than twice the price (hehehe).

........ pc

pnc

Reaction score
Reaction score
Just got back into fly fishing this spring after a 10 year layoff. I needed the best setup I could afford on a very low budget to go after tailwater trout. Ended up with a custom built (very slightly used) St. Croix Legend Elite 9' 5wt for $105 off eBay ( watched eBay every day for about a month and finally got real lucky) A SA Sharkwave GPX WF5F line for less than $50 shipped off STP, and after much debate ended up buying the Piscifun Blaze 5/6 reel in the coffee brown color. Less than $50 on Amazon.Overall a very good performing setup for what I use it for. Been fishing about 10 times so far and nothing but 6x tippet with everything from #20 midge pupa to #16-14 Caddis dry flies. No big fish yet but several around 14-16". The blaze reel has been solid so far. Only complaint is the drag adjustment knob turns too easily for me. I've had the drag loosen on me once or twice, but now just check drag every so often to make sure it's where I want. Drag is very smooth so far and it's been tested a few times even though no huge fish. The finish on the reel is better than I expected and it looks a lot more expensive than it is. The coffee color is pretty sweet too.

pnc

Reaction score
9/10 Blaze's came today. Nice reel ! Am thankfull color is subdued compared to pictures seen. Reel is as solid as any I've seen (friend owns fly shop). I would think it be more dependable than hybrid reels. The ones with cast spools, costing 3 or 4 times the amount (maybe more). Many of the reels I see now days. Reels costing 10 times the amount. I would never consider. They simply don't look like they would hold up.
As ported as Blaze is. It still looks, and more importantly feels solidly built. Reel came left hand ready. Switching to right easily done. Only thing that would have made it better is a tapered hamdle. I prefer them on reels this size and larger when they are direct drive.

Kudos to the people that made this reel !

......... pc

kevind62

Reaction score
Worked well in the Smokies too! :D

I do have one comment though about their website. Most times you can get it just a few dollars cheaper there. But..........the website shows their address as California. And, that they try to get your order "to you" in 1 to 2 business days. This actually means shipped out to you in 1 to 2 business days. And it doesn't mention that when you order direct from them it ships from China. Which, if you're not in a big hurry, isn't a big deal as it can 1 to 2 weeks before you get your item. They do supply you with a tracking number. Which will have a long delay in updates after it is put on the ship until it reaches the next port. Then the US shipper picks is up. The tracking number transfers to the US shipper which is a plus in my book for Piscifun, mainly because I've experienced this with other shippers who "claim" the number transfers but it doesn't. When you call the second party shipper they say, "oh no, that number won't work. You have to add these two numbers to the front of it and it will work". And those two numbers change from time to time so you can't just keep using them.

So, having said all that I am still very pleased with the performance of my reels. I have several and have ordered a new one in pink for October ( I won't touch any further on that since my last post about it got booted due to a basher that piped in). If you're in a hurry I'd recommend either one of the fly shop vendors that sell these, or Amazon and just pay the extra $6 - $8 bucks for the reel. If you're on a tight budget and not in a hurry than you can order from their site. Just hoping Piscufun sees this and updates their website to reflect this in their shipping info. I don't mind waiting 2 weeks for something as long as I know ahead of time.