Photobucket starts to charge!

cb

Reaction score
It seems - out of the blue - Photobucket has stopped the ability to share images into forums. (it's a bit hit and miss at the moment).

They want to charge $400 per year for the pleasure. This does affect old posts as the image may not now be showing at all.

I suggest you make sure you download all your photobucket images just in case the company does anything even more stupid!

Google Photos and flickr are alternatives I believe.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
.... the fine print
Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
Read more: Terms | Photobucket

A copy and paste photo... just like I always do ;)

plecain

Reaction score
I just looked at the Photobucket Usage rules. All the free accounts, and most of the paid ones, don't allow posting Photobucket images to forums like this.

Obviously, they haven't been enforcing that rule. Every image of mine that's in this forum is on Photobucket.

Will they start enforcing their rules? Don't know. I hope not. It would be a giant pain for me. Even if I moved the images elsewhere, if I wanted to have them display in this forum, I'd have to edit each post with the new photo location. On the other hand, who looks at two-year-old posts anyway?

I'm guessing Photobucket assumes that many people will just subscribe to the $399 service rather than go the the trouble I just mentioned.

We'll see.

planettrout

Reaction score
I just looked at the Photobucket Usage rules. All the free accounts, and most of the paid ones, don't allow posting Photobucket images to forums like this.

Obviously, they haven't been enforcing that rule. Every image of mine that's in this forum is on Photobucket.

Will they start enforcing their rules? Don't know. I hope not. It would be a giant pain for me. Even if I moved the images elsewhere, if I wanted to have them display in this forum, I'd have to edit each post with the new photo location. On the other hand, who looks at two-year-old posts anyway?

I'm guessing Photobucket assumes that many people will just subscribe to the $399 service rather than go the the trouble I just mentioned.

We'll see.
Don't worry, they will be getting around to you ( and the rest of the folks who have been using their services for free) REAL SOON

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Photobucket+ends+free+3rd+party+hosting

...and if you check their comments page, most are outraged at PB doing this W/O prior warning...

PT/TB

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
All the photos i post are from PB also.I do have a folder on my computer named PB Posts that i save photos in before i post them to PB so i don't have to worry about downloading them all but it sucks that all the pics will be missing from my post's now.
If we start using another host like imgur or flickr,there is no guarantee that they will not eventually do the same.

PB just changed this policy 2 days ago so this was not their policy when we first joined the site.They waited until everyone had hundreds of photos posted from their site then decided to change the policy.
Sort of like the hackers we are seeing on the news holding peoples files for ransom.The difference is we are not locked out,we just can't use the files unless we pay their price.
Don't know who's bright idea this was but sure is pretty crappy on their part.

I am going to wait and see where this goes before i delete my account.Hopefully they will get enough feedback to cause them to reverse their policy changes.

Last edited:

don_p

Reaction score
Thankfully I didn't have very many photos stored on Photobucket. It was kind of lame that there was no warning this was coming.

I started an Imgur account and started re-loading some of the photos I've posted here.

There's also the option of using the albums section on this site. I use it sometimes, you just can't see the photos attached to posts unless you are logged on.

plecain

Reaction score
If we start using another host like imgur or flickr,there is no guarantee that they will not eventually do the same.
In one of the articles I saw they suggested getting your own website and hosting your photos there.
As it happens, I have a website that I own but don't use very much. Maybe I'll give that a try. I have to see how much storage it has. One thing's for sure - it's a lot cheaper than $399/year.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
In one of the articles I saw they suggested getting your own website and hosting your photos there.
As it happens, I have a website that I own but don't use very much. Maybe I'll give that a try. I have to see how much storage it has. One thing's for sure - it's a lot cheaper than $399/year.
This.

You can get your own webspace, call it anything you want, even use a 3-letter suffix like .BEF, .fsh, etc., email accounts to your domain name, unlimited storage, bandwidth use, etc. etc. for something like $50-60/year.

That's what my wife has used, and though it seems complex (and can be dependent upon how tricky you want to get), it can also be done very simply just using FTP access, or at most adding free photo site hosting software.

B.E.F.

myt1

Reaction score
Some of the other websites I frequent do not require using an intermediary service like Photobucket, and allow pictures to be posted directly.

Why is it that FFF requires this extra step?

Maybe the necessary changes can now be made that allow for pictures to be directly posted.

plecain

Reaction score
Some of the other websites I frequent do not require using an intermediary service like Photobucket, and allow pictures to be posted directly.

Why is it that FFF requires this extra step?

Maybe the necessary changes can now be made that allow for pictures to be directly posted.
You can post directly, using the album feature.

I tried it in this post: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...g/67246-rainbow-trout-pics-22.html#post941813

The problem is that the photos are shrunk in size and there's a fairly low limit on the number you can store.

silver creek

Reaction score
How to download your photobucket albums to your computer so you can save them.

Downloading Albums – Photobucket Support

I just downloaded and saved my photobucket albums. They download as a zip file. I rename the zip file as the same name as my photobucket album. Then when I unzip it, the unzipped folder will be the same name.

You will need to download gifs and videos separately and manually move then to the correct folder.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Just when I was thinking of using the bucket they start charging. I host my stuff on my personal web space for a fee the last 20 years. I use ftp voyager to transfer files and have a web site which is just an index.html file. Except for 60 gig of pics I don't use my web space for anything else. I also get spam free email accounts and great tech support included. I pay just under $230 a year.

plecain

Reaction score
This is a test

Amazon Prime allows you to store an unlimited amount of photos.
I have some there, but want to see if they appear here correctly when linked.
I know I can see them, but want to make sure others can.

Here it is.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: This is a test

From Photo Bucket;

From my website;

Although it will be a major PITA I will begin moving albums. I went through a similar situation with Kodak, remember them? They had an image hosting service and my original camera was a Kodak so............ When they shut it down I lost many pictures from Alaska dated back into 2004. That was disturbing. I believe I have them still in an old Sea Gate hard drive but locating them would be time consuming. That's pretty much like my current Nikon files, all are backed up on a Passport aux drive to keep this computer from being filled. There are thousands and not as easy to sort as when they are in my Nikon Picture Project program.

I guess I'll host my own images..............

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Yep I've begun saving and deleting photos as well.

I feel bad about all the trip reports, fly and fish pics are going to be lost on the forum but what can I do?

I'm not going to be held hostage for my pictures and seriously with how slow and bad photobucket is it's amazing that they make a dime. They won't get it from me.