The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 11-16-2016, 04:17 AM
Fish&Fly

Editor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of light
Default Piscifun joins the supporting advertisers on the forums.

You will start to see some banner adverts from Piscifun around the forums with some reviews of their gear and maybe a contest or two to come soon.

They have been selling their very reasonably priced fly and conventional tackle in the US market for a while now with favourable reviews elsewhere on-line.

We appreciate their support of the forums and hope you will click on through one of the banners to have a look at their product range.

Thanks,
Paul
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 11-16-2016, 06:02 AM
Piscifun joins the supporting advertisers on the forums.

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Piscifun joins the supporting advertisers on the forums.

Just did a 'Google,' serious 'Boy Toy' fishing web sight.
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 11-16-2016, 02:54 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Here is their top-of-the-line Platte fly reel at $189.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 11-17-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Old 11-16-2016, 10:19 PM

herchammer is a name known to allherchammer is a name known to allherchammer is a name known to allherchammer is a name known to allherchammer is a name known to allherchammer is a name known to all

I own one of their reels, the model was called the Sword, the one I have is a 3/4 and is in the same color combo as the image that S&S posted above. Granted, I don't have a lot of experience with high end tackle, so take my comments with that in mind.

The reel is reasonably well machined and constructed. I have only had a couple of fish on the reel, and the drag performed reasonably well. The spool is mounted on the spindle using a knurled, self retaining cap that threads on. I like this feature. The tolerances are nice and close, the drag on the one I have is sealed. I have had the reel through two seasons of fishing now, and the finish is holding up nicely. The drag is adjusted using another knurled knob on the frame. The only detractor I can see with this little reel, is that the drag adjustment backs off pretty easily, so if I am not paying attention, and I do hook into a larger fish I may not have the drag when I need it. I haven't taken the time to experiment with tightening the screw on the knob to see if that would "fix" the problem.

I'm going to be honest, if you're taken with the allure of high end gear, this may not be your thing. I bought the reel, and paired it with an inexpensive 3wt rod, and it has provided many hours of enjoyment on the ponds and creeks that I have access to. I believe I gave $39 for it, and if I could find another one in a 7/8 wt I'd give it a try.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 11-16-2016, 11:01 PM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future

I've seen there stuff on Amazon quite a bit. They look nice and the reviews are pretty positive. Seems like decent stuff for the price, though I haven't personally gotten to play with them yet.
Anyways, welcome to the forum and thanks for the support!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Piscifunreels, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 11-18-2016, 08:32 AM

kevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to behold

Rainbow on 5/6 Sword
Another rainbow on a 5/6 Sword
Brown on a 5/6 Sword

I palm my reel for drag so I set the drag just tight enough to prevent major backlash. After a few hours of casting and several fish the drag did work loose a bit. I always tighten my drag once I land the fish to keep my line from feeding out while I unhook the fish so I pretty much reset it after each fish. I find it hard to blind set a drag since you don't know how big or small the fish you hook is going to be. Setting a light drag and palming gives me more flexibility.

Overall , I agree with herchammer. The reel has nice tight tolerances and performed really well on a 4 day fishing trip with morning temps below freezing.

I also have this reel in a 7/8. I haven't tried it out on trout yet but a test run on bream at home it did well. Can't wait to put it to a real test.

Last edited by kevind62; 11-18-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 11-20-2016, 09:54 PM
Trade Member

Piscifunreels will become famous soon enoughPiscifunreels will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
You will start to see some banner adverts from Piscifun around the forums with some reviews of their gear and maybe a contest or two to come soon.

They have been selling their very reasonably priced fly and conventional tackle in the US market for a while now with favourable reviews elsewhere on-line.

We appreciate their support of the forums and hope you will click on through one of the banners to have a look at their product range.

Thanks,
Paul
I have to say, Paul, you are a very nice guy to talk with. Very kind. Act fast. I knew you are a staff member, an editor. Turns out you are Editor-in-Chief. Awesome. Again, thank you, Paul.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
I've seen there stuff on Amazon quite a bit. They look nice and the reviews are pretty positive. Seems like decent stuff for the price, though I haven't personally gotten to play with them yet.
Anyways, welcome to the forum and thanks for the support!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

I work for Piscifun. Sword reel worth the money. If anything is wrong with fly reel, never hesitate to contact Customer Service. Staff would be very glad to help. As herchammer said, if you often use high end gears, Sword may not meet your expectations. If you wanna know more from me, PM me directly.

Let's get reels wet on the water
Follow us on Facebook
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes nevadanstig, Ard, kevind62, Editor, hairwing530, spm liked this post
Old 11-20-2016, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

Ollive,

Now I know for sure

We are happy that Piscifun has joined our group of supporting advertisers!

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Likes Piscifunreels, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 11-20-2016, 11:59 PM
Trade Member

Piscifunreels will become famous soon enoughPiscifunreels will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Ollive,

Now I know for sure

We are happy that Piscifun has joined our group of supporting advertisers!

Ard
It is a great community. Piscifun would like to contribute to it. All nice members here, share their experience, stories or reports. That's very helpful. Sorry for the previous spam checks.

Let's get reels wet on the water
Follow us on Facebook
Likes Ard, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 11-21-2016, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

I understand, I also hope you will continue to post to our threads.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes hairwing530 liked this post