what are your priorities when buying a rod?

coldbrook

Reaction score
hi,

just curious what your opinion is when shopping for a new rod:

• do you find fly rods generally too expensive?
  • is location of the manufacturer important to you?
  • would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?
  • would you purchase a rod online?
  • what is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience?

I am thinking of buying a new rod, and generally find the prices very high, so am considering buying one online, maybe a brand I've never heard of. any info is appreciated!
I am also interested long term in getting into rod building...
do you feel there are a shortage of brand choices, or is the market flooded?
thanks for any info guys!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I have been working in the FF industry since 2005 and specialty sports retail since 1991, so my opinions are biased.

do you find fly rods generally too expensive?
No

is location of the manufacturer important to you?
Somewhat

would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?
Yes. Newer technology.

would you purchase a rod online?
Never

what is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience?
One size does not fit all.

No.

You are very welcome.

mikel

Reaction score
Good luck with your choices...

yep
    I buy American when it makes sense
  • would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?
    Reviews, reputation. I'd cast a rod before I bought it.
    New, probably not....used, absolutely
    breakage is a pain. Buy a rod with a warranty...

I am thinking of buying a new rod, and generally find the prices very high, so am considering buying one online, maybe a brand I've never heard of. any info is appreciated!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I haven't bought a "factory" rod in about 15 years and even then I only looked at close-outs, both on-line and in shops. If a rod wasn't at least 40% off retail, I wouldn't even consider it.
Even for my home rolled rods, I look for discounted blanks and components.

At this point, the only rods I lust for are vintage collectibles.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

My greatest complaint about fly rods is the warranty system
It's a license to steal for both the rod manufactures and those who choose to abuse their gear, knowing that it will be replaced when it breaks.

Scrap the warranty system and it would drop the price of rods 30-40%
Then practice some self responsibly.
If you bust your rod.... fix it.
If you need to buy another, well you probably were going to anyway but without the jacked-up warranty prices, you can afford it.

chuck s

Reaction score
1. do you find fly rods generally too expensive? yes, very!

2. is location of the manufacturer important to you? yes, prefer USA

3.would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand? yes once I can hold it and look at it or if recommended by a trusted person.

4. would you purchase a rod online? yes, many so far

5. what is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience? The expense

coldbrook

Reaction score
thanks for the replies everyone. I personally find rods very highly priced, and I wonder what the markup is on a typical Sage rod for example.

I have also heard rumours about some of the bigger american brands now building their rods overseas, as the quality is the same with reduced costs. Anyone hear this?

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Winston and St. Croix are the only US manufactureres that have flown the coop with some models. The cheaper winstons and St Croixs are made overseas...or over the Rio Grand. All sages scotts and T&T are still made in the US as far as I know.

dave5977

Reaction score
Do you find fly rods generally too expensive?
Yes, But I still try to buy the best I can afford.

Is location of the manufacturer important to you?
Not really, But made in the USA means a lot to me.

Would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?
Certainly, If it is made of newer materials or technologies.

Would you purchase a rod online?
Sure, but only if there is positive conversation or comments for it. Like what you might read in this forum.

What is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience?
The expense, it bothers me not knowing what it will "feel" like on the water before I buy it.

hardhat

Reaction score
I usually build my own rods. I find that the quality of cork and some of the components are lacking quality on many factory rods.
I have been fortunate to have built on different blanks and have thrown different factory rods. The USA made rods and blanks are consistant and do hold value better. However, I do find that you can get good blanks made from places other than the USA. That being said, my personal preference is to build on blanks made in the USA. And,there more blank builders in the USA than just the factory rod companies.
When I buy fly fishing products, I always try to do business with a local vendor first.
Lastly, if you own a rod you like there is little reason to purchase a newer more expensive model.

Last edited:

Jackster

Reaction score
Gripe Alert: Not when I had a good paying job. I wonder if the geniuses who decided Americans don't need job will ever realize their employees were also their consumers.
It was and still is for the most part. I try to buy domestically made products but it's a losing battle.
A brand I used to... not care for almost has me pulling the trigger on one of their new series of rods. It seems to have what I want and a price I can handle.

- would you purchase a rod online?

Never. I treasure the few fly shops we have left.
They keep coming out with better and better technology! From what I've experienced some of the changes in fly rods have been incredible.
Who would have thought they would get so lightweight yet powerful, that 4 piece rods would feel the same as two piece and that rod guides would last longer than the owner! All of these changes kept me a good customer.

jaybo41

Reaction score
hi,

just curious what your opinion is when shopping for a new rod:

When I first got into fly fishing I did find rods too expensive and to some extent I think some of them still are. I have found ways around that though and have become somewhat accustomed to prices. An example is the Z Axis, I have a 5 wt which I love and I paid full price for it from a local shop. Now they are being discontinued and on sale. So buying another Z online has little risk to me. In fact, I picked up 2 BIIX rods from Winston online because the local shops did not have what I was looking for--but again, I was familiar with the rod. When I ordered online, I patronized smaller fly shops. If I'm ordering gear online, I try and make my purchases from specialty fly shops and avoid the big box stores when possible. Too many specialty retailers are falling to the big box stores to suit my taste.

Experience with a manufacturer and a rod line is important, if you have that either from a past purchase, trying a buddy's rod, using a guide's rod, etc then I'll buy online if I can't find it locally or if I can get a significantly better price online. With that said, I think going to your local fly shop if you have one nearby is your best bet. You can test cast a bunch of rods, get advice and service after the fact is important. The good fly shops I know of will take care of you if you have a problem, and that is important. I have purchased brands that I've not had experienced with previously and have been thrilled with some, others not so much. I've pretty much always been a Sage guy, but upon discovering Winston, I have a 2nd brand that I treasure.

Place of manufacturing has some significance but isn't a huge factor for me, although I probably prefer US made gear when possible. I take into account performance, hardware, price and my budget when making a rod purchase. It just so happens that my two favorite rod manufacturers produce rods here Sage and Winston. :icon_bigg

Warranty system does inflate prices, but if you find that special rod that you just love having a warranty to replace or repair that rod can come in very handy. Have heard wonderful things about Sage for example making new sections of long since discontinued rods for some folks, whereas if you got one made overseas, you might get a replacement rod. I guess there's good and bad with both and it's kind of a personal choice. I just know that if something happened to a rod that I found special, I'd rather have it repaired and be able to continue to use it than have it replaced by some newer version of the rod. Just my 2 cents.

Bottom line, buy the rod that best suits your taste, fishing application and budget. Then go out and fish!

texastroutbum

Reaction score

Some of them seem expensive, but others seem reasonable.

It does not really matter.

would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?

If those rods are meeting my needs, I will give a try. About 2 years ago, I never heard of Greys but I found that the company was making a 10 foot rod, which at that time I thought I needed. I am happy with the product.

Yes I would do so. There are some nice fly shops out there which allow me to try them as long as I do not pill off the plastic wrap of the cork of the rod.

Maybe I am spoiled by the great service that I got from the Templefork’s customer service where they just replace any broken section of a rod. Compared to that, other companies overall seem to charge way too much for any repair. I understand that sometimes those companies seem to have legitimate reasons to charge us for so much, but some price tag for repair makes me to scratch my head.

Although there are many companies, I do believe that there are lots of room to improve on the part of the rod. And there are many guys who are itching to add one more rod. So if anybody makes a good rod, there will be a customer.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
No, not for what you get. I am still using rods bought in the 70's. Thirtyfive years of use for $500 is a good deal to me.

Yes, I want USA but I would buy England or Italy.

Would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?
Sure, I would buy any brand that I know is what I want.

Sure, but from a fly shop, not Ebay.

You never have enough:) Weight use to be a problem but that has changed in recent years.

Frank

tourproto

Reaction score
[*]do you find fly rods generally too expensive?
Yes. I also am a competitive amateur golfer and find golf clubs to be ridiculously priced as well. I am more than happy to buy closeout gear or even used (from a reputable source) to buy at what I feel is a more reasonable price. I have lusted after the Z-Axis for years, but would not pay MSRP. Now that they are being closed out due to the Sage One, I am seeing prices in the mid $400s for new and even low $300s for slightly used. I will pick one up at those prices

[*]is location of the manufacturer important to you?
As others have said, would prefer to buy American but it is a losing battle. Looking at the Winston Passport for my wife as it is a lot or rod for the buck but it is made overseas. My guess is it is hard to build a solid rod that sells for $200 in the US

[*]would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?
I am always trying out new rods, either ones owned by friends or family. Word of mouth is the main reason to look at something. I don't rely on OEM hype for anything. I put a lot more trust in my fishing buddies. There are a very small number of fly shops where I will trust their opinion as well.

[*]would you purchase a rod online?
From an authorized dealer, absolutely if the price is right. Used rods I am a little more particular, and it depends on my comfort with the seller.

[*]what is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience?
Too expensive and too much OEM hype ("best this", "greatest that") which makes it critical to try a rod before you buy (with your reel and line too)

mysticm

Reaction score
Here are my two cents..
Absolutely, but you generally get what you pay for. I always buy the best quality I can afford since it generally lasts longer. I think the 'specialization' of this type of fishing forces the high prices. Plus some of the rod makers exploit the 'romantic mystique of fly fishing'.

Not really, times have changed, rules of global economy apply and we (American consumerism & yearning for cheap prices) have led to the creation of Asia as a manufacturing power house. Plus being an engineer scientist I have visited China many times and always left impressed with their quality control and mfg. capabilities.

Technology excites me so that is the only reason I would opt for a new brand.

If required, but prefer to support local fly shops as much as I can.

The good ones with all the mystique associated with them are too expensive ;)

comeonavs

Reaction score
My $.02

do you find fly rods generally too expensive? Yes but you get what you pay for and used you can get great savings. There are alot of people here in Colorado who buy top end gear and end up selling it without using it alot. I acquire alot of rods in the winter when the rivers are frozen over and guys are selling off stuff after Christmas.

is location of the manufacturer important to you? Yes absolutely, mostly from a standpoint of warranty breakage return and secondly support the American workers as much as possible.

would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand? Yes, I have and do. I know what sort of rod wieght / action I prefer and if a rod is widely viewed as a good rod I will buy it. When you start talking Scott, Sage,Orvis they are all fine rods some just prefer one brand over another. If I am paying retail I will test cast it but not afraid to buy a "top end" used rod without trying it.

would you purchase a rod online? Online from a local shop yes, ebay or the likes not unless I was getting a screaming deal.

what is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience? to many to choose from. I am a gear junky so I own 12 rods and fish 1 or 2 of them 99% of the time.:eek:

bennypapa

Reaction score
I think you should find one you like amongst your fishing buddies and shop with that in mind. You can at least try theirs out in a real world situation.

freebird630

Reaction score

When I had a high paying job before I retired no but now that I'm retired I buy the best rod I can afford that comes with strong reviews and recommendations from my fly fishing friends.

I buy Amercian if it's available for nearly the same price but I will and have bought import rods both Fly rods and spinning rods.

Yes I have just recently bought a couple Fly Logic Fly rods and a Laccorsse Fly rod. Usually the reasons for buying are price point and recommendations from friends who fly fish.

The last 3 I bought were bought online.

High cost of the big name brands that I used to buy when I had a high paying job.

grassonfly

Reaction score
If it casts well and isnt more than 300 bucks ill buy it. I wont buy it onlone because i wont know how it casts. 1. performance 2. price 3. looks