Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  48

Poll: Of the flies that you fish with, do you tie them or buy them?

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Default Re: Do you buy or tie?

I only fish the salt and went to C.I.quite a few times where mates would tease me about my bought flies and "why don't you tie your own?"....so I chanced upon a pre-loved Dynaking vise,and with their collective advice bought a basic list of materials to tie Bonefish and other easy flies.Now as I knew the patterns intimately it was thankfully a fairly seamless exercise.I do admire the works of art that Trout fishers tie....mine are so primitive by comparison.

I know how and wish I had the time to tie. It's hard enough for me to get out and go fishing.
    Last edited by trout stalker; 12-25-2018 at 04:35 AM.
    RJ

I tie my own stuff with a couple of exceptions. I will buy a few flies for one off trips. For example, I don’t fish the salt with a fly rod very often. When I go bone or tarpon fishing I buy a few flies as I don’t really care to gear up for something I will only do once in a blue moon. I also buy the occasional new fly to use as a pattern. YouTube has cut down on this habit dramatically.

Otherwise I’m flailing away with my flies. I like to give flies away. Generally I tie flies in increments of a dozen the same size and pattern, so giving flies to buddies or folks I run across on the river frees up room in the box.

I always buy

As my eyes get older and may hands a little less steady, I generally buy anything smaller than #10 and tie most others that are larger. Given I fish largely Warm and Saltwaters it works out fine.

I tie my own.

I have a few I bought a long time ago that just stay in my box. I will always grab one of my own first.

I tie as much as possible

I have collected most major species of mayflies and caddis near yellowstone and hang them by my vise when tying. They are in little vials with bug balm in them lol. They survived the move from west yellowstone to Coco Florida. The ones I still have left after 20 years. Saltwater flies are my new thing but man the price of Gamakatsu and Owner AKI!! The silver Gamakatsu hooks I hit up with an indelible black marker not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better. Comes from being a camo elk hunter lol .

My dad bought a vise to ty flies when I was probably 8. He used it once or twice and it became mine. I used to shoot starlings, squirrels, rabbits and stuff for hair and feathers. My mom made dresses and stuff for people, so I had a ton of thread. I fished them behind a bubble on a spinning rod, and gave many many away. I don’t think I have ever purchased a fly. My sons and their buddies, now tell me where they are going , I’ll research it a little and ty them up a bunch of different kinds to take. Been tying a bunch of carp flies lately for myself, and I am 56 now.

I buy. I have thought about tying but I also do woodworking and a number of other hobbies. Investing the time and money in another one is something I have to actively resist.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast