Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  48

Poll: Of the flies that you fish with, do you tie them or buy them?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Default Re: Do you buy or tie?

I only fish the salt and went to C.I.quite a few times where mates would tease me about my bought flies and "why don't you tie your own?"....so I chanced upon a pre-loved Dynaking vise,and with their collective advice bought a basic list of materials to tie Bonefish and other easy flies.Now as I knew the patterns intimately it was thankfully a fairly seamless exercise.I do admire the works of art that Trout fishers tie....mine are so primitive by comparison.

I know how and wish I had the time to tie. It's hard enough for me to get out and go fishing.
    Last edited by trout stalker; 12-25-2018 at 04:35 AM.
    RJ

I tie my own stuff with a couple of exceptions. I will buy a few flies for one off trips. For example, I don’t fish the salt with a fly rod very often. When I go bone or tarpon fishing I buy a few flies as I don’t really care to gear up for something I will only do once in a blue moon. I also buy the occasional new fly to use as a pattern. YouTube has cut down on this habit dramatically.

Otherwise I’m flailing away with my flies. I like to give flies away. Generally I tie flies in increments of a dozen the same size and pattern, so giving flies to buddies or folks I run across on the river frees up room in the box.

I always buy

As my eyes get older and may hands a little less steady, I generally buy anything smaller than #10 and tie most others that are larger. Given I fish largely Warm and Saltwaters it works out fine.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213