Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What would you say is the most gratifying piece of gear for fly fishing?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rod – A fly rod to cast with power and accuracy.

35 52.24%
  • Reel – A fly reel to reel line in and out in smoothly.

6 8.96%
  • Line – A fly line that casts smoothly for you.

9 13.43%
  • Leader – A leader that allows good turn over and presentation

3 4.48%
  • Flies - A fly that best resembles what the fish are taking

14 20.90%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The most Gratifying piece of gear

Default The most Gratifying piece of gear

What do you say is the most important piece of gear for fly fishing?

Considering that each one of these items are an essential part of fly fishing. Which one of these 5 items gives you the most enjoyment?

Fill in the blank: I like my ______ because it gives me the most satisfaction and/or performance.

Frankly, I can’t decide. But, I'm leaning toward the reel...

Rod – A fly rod you can cast with power and accuracy or finesse.
    Reel – A fly reel that handles the line and drag smoothly.
    Line – A fly line that casts smoothly for you.
    Leader – A leader that allows good turn over and presentation
    Fly - A fly pattern that you have the most success with.
    Last edited by dave5977; 03-04-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: The question is not clear
    There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them.
    -Jim Croce-

Blog Entries

Default re: The most Gratifying piece of gear

Reel;

I will go with 'the reel' because once you pass the 13" trout zone having a reel that will help to quickly land big game fish makes the whole thing better. I use simple spring & pawl reels for light fish and they handle the fish just swell but when you start talking double digit weight a solid smooth drag system is the order of the day.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

For me it is the rod. Once connected to the fish have a rod that can stand up to the fight and yet let you feel every twitch of the fish from head to tail. It's all about the feel and being connected to the action.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

What Davo said.
    Most fish that I catch never get to the reel/drag anyway. Just strip them.

The ecologist in me says try and remove any one item out of your list and try, for all practical purposes (sure you can wrap the line around your fist or something and yes Lee Wulff caught atlantics without a rod, yada yada) to fly fish in the classic sense. Its a system. Take any one item out and the system grinds to a halt. I think most of us would like to have all the pieces in place when we hit the river. Although...there is this....ever forget your flies and try to fly fish?
    heh heh,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
    I think most of us would like to have all the pieces in place when we hit the river. Although...there is this....ever forget your flies and try to fly fish?
    heh heh,
    Gary
    That's when you go upstream to the "bait-fishin" section and trap some grasshoppers in a bottle.

My brother forgot his boots once; shoved his neoprene footies in his tennis shoes and dove in...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
    The ecologist in me says try and remove any one item out of your list and try, for all practical purposes (sure you can wrap the line around your fist or something and yes Lee Wulff caught atlantics without a rod, yada yada) to fly fish in the classic sense. Its a system. Take any one item out and the system grinds to a halt. I think most of us would like to have all the pieces in place when we hit the river. Although...there is this....ever forget your flies and try to fly fish?
    heh heh,
    Gary
    In agreement with the above. Sorry, but I don't really understand the question...I DO think that your rod and line need to be a nice match for your stroke or you won't enjoy the experience as much...-Mike

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I voted rod, but I think this guy is going to say line. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dp8RK8_sRw]YouTube - Flyfishing without rod with Loop tackle.wmv[/ame]

Easily the leader.
    You're not going to catch fish without a good presentation..
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

It's my glasses...most definitely my glasses...if I forget them I am going back for them. After that I would say my reel. I've left it at the house before, and you just can't do much with a rod and flies but no reel. I would say line, but it's on the reel, so if you have one you have the other. A good line is truly a blessing. Recently I broke a rod and when I sent it back for warranty repair, I got a warranty replacement instead. I had Cortland 444 on my reel one size over, and when I got the new rod I could barely throw the length of the rod. I thought I had gotten a piece of junk for replacement until I relined with Rio Gold in the proper weight and presto chango I had the best casting rod I've ever owned!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast