Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  41
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What do you consider as a "caught" fish?

Voters
269. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only a fish in hand counts.

221 82.16%
  • One that fights long and hard, even if he eventually slips the hook.

32 11.90%
  • If there is a solid hookup, even if it slips the hook a few seconds later.

16 5.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: What do you consider a "caught" fish?

Default Re: What do you consider a "caught" fish?

With 10 pages of replies, I'm a little late to the party and likely saying something someone else has already said.

My response is not one of the available choices. If it's a tarpon, I would consider getting the fish close to, but not necessarily in the boat as caught. With most fish... If you've hooked, managed, brought the fish all the way in and even gotten a good look at it, but did not necessarily net it, I would not feel bad about this happening. I'm referring to that situation where something happens like - you reach for the fish, let a little too much slack in the line and the fly slips outs. With trout, I try hard not to let this happen. Trout often need a chance to rest and get revived after a fight. With other fish, this can be a great form of catch and release.
    Todd

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Up until recently, unless I had a fish in hand, I never considered it caught. But this weekend I had a number of them get to my feet and then slip the hook. Which got me thinking, does it really matter if I get my hand wet/covered in slime for the fish to count? I fought it, I played it in, and at the last second it slipped away. Which really doesn't matter when I'm just going to release it anyway.

So, what do you guys think shoudl count as a "caught" fish?
    Those count only for small wild fish that do that 50% of the time, if your using barbless hooks.
    A creek and a couple hours are all the medicine most of us really need!

Catch, Pic, and Release is the standard nowadays with all the cell phones and action cameras out there.

"Forget all the reasons why it won't work and believe the 1 reason why it will".

Quote Originally Posted by Fredevans
    Two, now just one, old dogs giving the fish a sniff. Husky (now passed) and Sandy never allowed me to keep a fish. There was no way the look from those two that would allow 'A keeper.' Native or Hatchery, fish went back.
    Hey Fred,

Good post. Is this one of your dogs?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBx1bi9BHDg[/ame]
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

Blog Entries

Speckled trout must be in the kayak or in hand to be considered caught. A big part of the challenge and skill of catching a speckled trout, especially one over 20", is keeping them buckled to your line due to their paper thin and paper delicate mouth linings. Many folks that go after these fish, including me, have had the heartbreak of losing more than one big sow right at the net.

Southern flounder, fluke, whatever you call this fish is another notorious escape artist. Since I retain most legal flounder landed for the table, I don't consider them caught until they are in the ice box and the lid is shut. I've had them literally fly out of the bottom of the ice chest, my kayak, and make a full escape.

I'll shake off or attempt to lose smaller fish before having to put my hands on them. I consider them caught and there is no heartbreak, but a little relief, when they come off. But a difficult to stalk, big, rare, or otherwise notable fish that will cause anguish if I don't land it is not consider caught until it's in hand.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011