What do you consider a "caught" fish?

What do you consider as a "caught" fish?

• Only a fish in hand counts.

Votes: 223 82.3%
  • One that fights long and hard, even if he eventually slips the hook.

Votes: 31 11.4%
  • If there is a solid hookup, even if it slips the hook a few seconds later.

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

ant

Reaction score
Up until recently, unless I had a fish in hand, I never considered it caught. But this weekend I had a number of them get to my feet and then slip the hook. Which got me thinking, does it really matter if I get my hand wet/covered in slime for the fish to count? I fought it, I played it in, and at the last second it slipped away. Which really doesn't matter when I'm just going to release it anyway.

So, what do you guys think shoudl count as a "caught" fish?

axle27

Reaction score
Funny you should bring this up...being that we are in the brotherhood of truth stretchers (get mad if ya want, it's the truth), I pondered this myself this weekend.

I hooked only 4 fish this past weekend. The one I caught (landed) to hand was a 22" pig of a 'bow. The other three were hooked and played but one broke off (one was larger than the one I landed and I fought it for 10 minutes trying to get it out of some deep, fast water). I only consider the one one landed to hand as caught.

I look at it like this:

If a cop was chasing someone down and he collared the perp and handcuffed him, he's caught. But if he collared the perp and the perp got loose and took off (pepper spray or stun guns notwithstanding), the cop can't go back and tell his boss that he "caught" the perp because he's not there to book.

If a fish is hooked and you land him, everything went right on your end to make it happen: you played it fish right, the knots held, the rod/reel did it's job and you finished the job. If the fish broke off/tossed the hook/whatever, the fish won the encounter.

I guess it's more than my usual $.02 deposited.

yatahey

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you define caught. Some would say fish to hand, some would say if a fish is fooled into taking your fraud offering, he's caught. For me it's all about the tug on the end of the line and my all time favorite sight is seeing a fish rise to my dry fly.
I can't wait to read everyone's thoughts on this subject. Carry on.

mikel

Reaction score
If I get my leader near the rod tip, it's a caught fish...after that I'm just going to release it anyway. Feed em a little slack and (hopefully) off they go. No stinky hands, no hurting the fish by handling them or taking them out of the water. Sometimes I want a picture, so out comes the net...:)

-Mike

O

okuma

If my leader is near my rod tip AND if I can ID the species visually.......it's a done deal.

madjoni

Reaction score
unless I had a fish in hand, I never considered it caught.
I still believe that:)
I cant consider it caught if there is no touchdown ,if I may use this sport term :)
If it slips before you want too that fish was never yours in first place:D

gadfly_nj

Reaction score
I was thinking about this question while out on the water yesterday. I realized (more than decided) that for me it kinda depends upon the fish. If the fish is of a size and species that I typically catch frequently, I don't care so much about bringing it to hand. I might be a little lazy in playing it, and if it gets off at my feet so much the better.

For trophy sized fish, which in my book starts around 18-20" for trout, I would need to net the fish. I suppose its because a fish of that size offers a real challenge, and if I couldn't bring him in, I lost. I would say that the same goes for new species. No way, I'm going to say I caught a grayling, for example, if I didn't take it off the hook.

watson

Reaction score
I was thinking about this question while out on the water yesterday. I realized (more than decided) that for me it kinda depends upon the fish. If the fish is of a size and species that I typically catch frequently, I don't care so much about bringing it to hand. I might be a little lazy in playing it, and if it gets off at my feet so much the better.

For trophy sized fish, which in my book starts around 18-20" for trout, I would need to net the fish. I suppose its because a fish of that size offers a real challenge, and if I couldn't bring him in, I lost. I would say that the same goes for new species. No way, I'm going to say I caught a grayling, for example, if I didn't take it off the hook.
Agree, that's pretty much how I feel about it.
Often times I would rather if it did get off at my feet (The little guys anyhow), just so I can get right back at it.

It is defiantly something I pondered last fall when I brought in a pig of a rainbow. My partner had it in the net not only once, but twice before he spit the hook and made for the depths. Of course my buddy was saying "consider it caught" but I on the other hand disagree.
Just being the thing was big (being modest) somewhere over 26+ inches and FAT (Hence flopping out of the boat net twice) , but the truth is we will never know just how big!
That's about as close to being caught as I could get without actually catching, but how I would have loved to feel the girth of that thing in my hands! (sigh)

mudbug

Reaction score
If you don't get to choose whether or not you are gonna eat it, then it wasn't caught.

I seldom keep any fish I catch, but that is MY choice, not the fault of a poorly set hook or a loose line at the net.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Being less than fortunate in the art of rainbow and brown trout fishing, catching, hooking or anything to do with those two species. I have become a brookie man solely to justify my fly tying addiction.

With brookies, if someone asks how the fishing was, the answer is normally hooked and landed. Hooked 7 landed 3 and landed means I removed the hook.

The aforementioned short story was not intended to degrade, harass or profile the brook trout for its apparent attraction to my flies.:D

Dave

gadfly_nj

Reaction score
Agree, that's pretty much how I feel about it.
Often times I would rather if it did get off at my feet (The little guys anyhow), just so I can get right back at it.

It is defiantly something I pondered last fall when I brought in a pig of a rainbow. My partner had it in the net not only once, but twice before he spit the hook and made for the depths. Of course my buddy was saying "consider it caught" but I on the other hand disagree.
Just being the thing was big (being modest) somewhere over 26+ inches and FAT (Hence flopping out of the boat net twice) , but the truth is we will never know just how big!
That's about as close to being caught as I could get without actually catching, but how I would have loved to feel the girth of that thing in my hands! (sigh)
Sounds like its time for a new fishing buddy!:lol2:

I hope he at least bought the first round.

williamhj

Reaction score
It depends on your goal and how it gets off. If your tippet breaks right before you grab them maybe it's not a catch, but if you give slack and they slip the hook, it's better for everyone involved.

Others might not count it as a catch, but who cares what they think anyways? It's about being out there doing the fishing you want.

watson

Reaction score
Sounds like its time for a new fishing buddy!:lol2:

I hope he at least bought the first round.
It just gives me an excuse to heckle him for years to come.

Also a good reason to get back to the river, to get him some oar time!

He's still green, but a natural.
Another year at this rate and he should be shooting par.

wjc

Reaction score
Like William said, it depends on intent. For instance in most Catch and release tournaments for large fish, when the leader touches the tip top or the mate or guide grabs it, that fish is considered "caught." They generally award a token point for retrieved flies just so everyone doesn't cut the leader at the first opportunity just to save time.

For me, an 8-15 lb. dolphin, for instance, isn't considered caught till it's in the cooler - unless I already have one in there, then standard tournament rules apply. :D

Cheers,
JIm

jcw355

Reaction score
If it was hooked, I consider it caught. Brought to hand or netted is different. I may have caught 25 fish but only netted or brought to hand 17 the last time I went.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

An interesting question. If someone asked if I had any luck my response is I hooked up with blank number of fish but only landed blank number of fish. I count a caught fish as one I released. So if I had 5 hook ups and landed 3 that tells the story of the day. Sometimes I might say I had 5 takes and landed 3.

Frank

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Most often I try not to remove fish from the water and only handle them if necessary.
Only touching, and hopefully retrieving my fly from a solidly hooked fish counts as landed to me.