Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

Voters
340. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

40 11.76%

92 27.06%

79 23.24%

73 21.47%

21 6.18%

11 3.24%

6 1.76%

6 1.76%

1 0.29%

2 0.59%
  • The Kitchen Sink or what???

9 2.65%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

1. Default Re: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

I usually pull flies from my other boxes and put them in 1 box, so when I am actually fishing, I usually carry only one box, so I voted one. However, I carry a bunch of boxes in the car/pack. I usually fish with my necklace I made (a whole lot cooler--temperature-wise-- than my vest) and I don't dangle my boxes on it, so I usually just put one in my pants pocket.

2. Default Re: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

I carry three boxes, one large box for general Trout/Steelhead, one small box woth all flies I've tie mself(which hasn't been seeing any filling lately), and a metal tin with foam inserted to hold bass bugs.
    I like organic chicken..... The kind with the capes still on 'em

3. Default Re: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

This is the pits. I happily clicked 4 as I used to keep a box each of dries, wets, streamers, and one last box of nymphs in my vest. Just taking up fly fishing seriously again after a several year lapse, and you made me go look in the RV basement. 5 more boxes of flies in there. Mostly specialty stuff. Crud, and I was all set to pick up another box of local flies when I go up to Gunnison at the end of the month. See what you started.

Default Re: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

I have two bigger boxes that stay at home, and one small morell floating box that comes with me. I'm going to buy a second now that I'm going to start driving to different fishing spots.

Blog Entries

I have several boxes of flies, but I limit myself to one box. One thing that I learned from backpacking is to minimalize my load. It's hard to not have the right fly when a box is loaded with 100+ flies. I counted the flies in my general purpose trout box. It has 161 flies with enough space for 20 more.

I have boxes loaded for different waters and times of the year. For example, I have three boxes for the Truckee River. My fall box is heavy on streamers and nymphs. My Spring/Summer box is loaded with terrestrials, caddis, mayflies, and stoneflies. My Winter Box is loaded with small mayflies and midges.

MP

Edit: For stillwater fishing, all bets are off. I know that I carry multiple boxes in the pockets of my float tube and pontoon boat.

Blog Entries

i have my dry box my wet/streamer/nypmh box, my bass popper box...and a little box that has all my little size 20+ drys cause they dont fit into my big dry box

I carry around 8. I'm a fly junkie, I think I have to have every pattern under the sun with me because you never know. This may be why my back hurts after 3 - 4 hours on the river. I tried a chest pack and just could'nt get used to it. I'll stick with my ole Simms vest. And all of its pockets...
    Tight Lines, Bob

Blog Entries

usually...4was offered two new fly boxes....recently

Four in my atlantic salmon vest. Way too many in my trout vest. Don't even think about how many are in the boat.
    Gary

Blog Entries

I voted 5, as I fish from my tube about 80-90% of the time and when I'm packing, I tend to just throw the first five boxes in the pockets right before I head out the door.

When I hike streams, I usually only carry two or three boxes, which is kind of overkill, since I'm pretty sure most of the time I only fish six or seven different types of flies on a given day.

At Lee's Ferry, I bring one or none. Over 90% of the time, I'm fishing a slitshotted zeeb rig, and I have about 150 of them in my chestpack on that foam thing (supposedly that thing is called a 'workstation.'), so no need to carry a box. But sometimes there's a hatch or a cicada bite, and then I'll bring some emergers and big dries in another box.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast