How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

• Total voters

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
I know that it depends upon a lot of different factors: type of water, fish species, area, fly box size, etc. but in general how many fly boxes do you carry in your Vest/Pack/Other?

Thanks,
Terry

gregorykicks

Reaction score
i only have one and it's small and empty. I think i have maybe just over a dozen flies. I stick to the basics since they're consistently good around here.

BigCliff

Reaction score
i probably usually have either 3 or more like 6-8 boxes with me, but usually its 3, making the avg 4.

FowlHabit

Reaction score
I just got started in this so I only have one right now. However this addiction will soon to change this!:wink:

freeze69

Reaction score
i would have to say 4. although 2 of those are not even fly boxes at all but small clear plano tackle totes. i like them for some of my big streamers. also got a small plano tackle box that has 3 of them in it that i use for a big fly box of sorts.

TheFlyMaster

Reaction score
I narrowed down my trout fly box to one and after switching over to a chest pack. I got over the "just in case" scenarios years ago when i used to carry 3 boxes. Now I just carry patterns that work in my areas that I faith in.

When it comes to warm water fishing, I have 3 large plano boxes with me. My topwater stuff in one, streamers/craws/ subsurface flies in another, then I have my test box...you know those flies you buy, tie on your own or get from some1 else and have yet to prove themselves. In the winter months I do alot of experimenting tying flies and find ones that work and ones that dont. If they work then they go in my regular boxes.

makubwa

Reaction score
Depends where fishing. Sometimes - none - just some flies in my hat....

Midgeaholic

Reaction score
My fishing is so specific to the San Juan that I have learned to downsize so I carry only what the rivers biology dictates. Tailwater fisheries are almost all the same when it comes to there natural trout feeding insects. I wear a guide shirt and I carry three small boxes with Midges, emergers, larva and terrestials. some leeches and beatis in there various stages. midgeaholic

Wyatt

Reaction score
I have 1 small box that holds size 18 and smaller, chest pack has a foam pad in front pocket that holds larger flys, the daughter has same pack and small box but has some different flies so we can cover more options when our normal bugs are not working.
Wyatt

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Now just two - the new Cliff's Super Days Worth and the Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box [pictures below]. This new Cliff's is a two-sided box, one side containing magnetic compartments (picture doesn't show recently-upgraded compartments) for midges & other small flies, and the other side securely attaching large streamers and regular-sized flies. Surprising how much this box holds for its relatively small size - easily enough for any of my days on the water.

The Orvis allows you to carry up to fifteen pre-rigged dropper rigs without getting them all tangled up, for easy change-out without the need for re-rigging while onstream. Really works well in conjunction with the Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnect line-to-leader system - better in my opinion than Scientific Anglers' own L2L Reconnect flyboxes.

Of course, because I never throw anything away, I probably have another dozen boxes offstream, which I justify to my wife as "for holding inventory". :wink: Whatever works . . .

Attachments

Midgeaholic

Reaction score
Seasons Greetings, I carry 3 small fly boxes astream. I wear a guide shirt and no fishingvest which is very comfortable. My midges, wd-40s, RS-2s are in one box, these are the most effective sizes and colors. I organize according to color first, size second, shape third, color last. Box Two contains: Dry midges, Baetis( bluewinged olives), and PMDs, again various sizes( 22-30) and colors. Box three contains: Terrestials, Ants dry and wet, beetles, jassids, chamois leeches. This particular assortment of boxes covers just about any situation in most western tailwaters. midgeaholic:)

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Geez I'm pathetic!!, I had to go look and I counted 27 boxes, some big and some smaller.
We carry all fly boxes in the boat bag, we usually have the boat with us.
These boxes are divided into the usual categories such as nymph, dry, etc, but we also have" Water specific boxes" that hold time tested patterns for several rivers or lakes. these can be put in the vest for wandering away from the boat.
Also some boxes are 1 pattern only, in different sizes and color wariations.
Buggers, Stimulators, glowbugs and eggs.

Make that 28 boxes, I just remembered tho Orvis dropper rig box mentioned above that we got for Christmas. :icon_redf

zerolimit

Reaction score
If I'm on an extended trip with multiple fisheries, I'm guilty of bringing the kitchen sink. Normally it's two though. One for nymphs and streamers and one for dries. The exception is something like my home river, the American. It's a tailwater fishery with limited food sources and I keep one box that I can just grab and fish that river any time of year.