Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  56
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: On average how many flies do you carry in your fly boxes?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-50

56 26.92%
  • 51-100

54 25.96%
  • 100-150

34 16.35%
  • 151-200

12 5.77%
  • 201-250

13 6.25%
  • 251-300

5 2.40%
  • 301+

32 15.38%
  • Other

2 0.96%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: On average how many flies do you carry in your fly boxes?

I assume that the question was about the flies that you carry on your person. I tend to fish the same rivers all of the time and only carry what flies that I am going to use. When fishing from my pontoon boat I use a chest pack and have 3 or 4 small boxes with the flies for the day. Now if you count the flies in the car, it would be a bunch.----Frank

2. Default Re: On average how many flies do you carry in your fly boxes?

When wading, I generally carry one box containing approximately 72 dries, one box containing approximately 72 nymphs, and one box containing approximately 36 streamers. When tooning, I usually take four big boxes containing approximately 150 flies since space and weight isn't an issue, which I store in my side pockets. I used to carry one big box while wading until I lost one while taking a dunk several years ago in the backcountry. I like my odds of having a fly box better with more than one box.

3. Default Re: On average how many flies do you carry in your fly boxes?

A little while back I got fed up with carrying so much gear so I did a cull of my flies to get down to 2 boxes (200 flies) from the 4 fly boxes I would normally carry. This season I broke that down to a river box and a lake box.

I find that I have my go to flies so I keep two of each in a range of hook sizes, then I have a number of flies that I carry with me just in case and may only keep a couple of each in their most productive size. Initially it was tough keeping it down to 120 flies all up in each box, but I have never looked back and I am yet to be caught out with only one fly box.

4. Default Re: On average how many flies do you carry in your fly boxes?

I carry 300+ easy, yet it's always the fly hot off the vise that I always go for.

way to many to count, way over 300 +
    Troy

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

I've caught 90% of my trout all over the northeast in the last 15 years on 15-20 different flies...

Seriously, if you are carrying 300+ flies, you could probably benefit by paying more attention. That's insane.
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

7. Likes mikey_boots liked this post
  8. Default Re: On average how many flies do you carry in your fly boxes?

i take enough flies to sink a small barge..lol 500+

I carry about 30 flies on my person, and have a few boxes in the car when I fish the river around here. I am generally only 5 minutes from the car but I have been thinking a lot like GRN lately and am going through what I want to carry with me. My fishing trips generally consist of 3 or 4 hours at a time and I find I am fishing one of 4 or 5 streamers (wooley buggers or sculpins, or wooley worms); 4 or 5 different nymphs (hares ear, caddis pupa, pheasant tail, scuds, prince) and 4 or 5 different dries (adams, elk hair caddis, ants, grasshopper, stonefly). put these together in various colors and a few different sizes and I am not sure there are any other flies I really need to carry. 15 to 20 patterns, 3 different colors (light, medium and dark browns for the dries/nymphs and white, tan or olive, and black for the buggers) and a few different sizes 12, 14, 16. and I thinnk this is my box I am putting together. I think I will leave some room for 4 or 5 flies that are the "hot flies of the week" either from the net here or the local fly shop. My biggest problem is I have been wearing a chest pack, and there is not a lot of room for fly boxes in it so I have to carry the flies in my shirt or wading jacket pocket, because of this, I need a couple small fly boxes for dries and nymphs and I put the streamers in the built in fly carrier in the chest pack.

I am going to continue to play around with this concept until I come up with something I really like, but that is it so far.

Dave

10. Default Re: On average how many flies do you carry in your fly boxes?

I votes 300+ because I carry different stuff for the times of the year. I also carry 10 or more of each pattern so that is why i voted that way.

John

Probably a zillion. After all, if I didn't carry every fly I've ever tied, it would be a confession that all my flies might not be the best fishing choice.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast