On average how many flies do you carry in your fly boxes?

• 1-50

Votes: 60 27.6%
  • 51-100

Votes: 56 25.8%
  • 100-150

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • 151-200

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • 201-250

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • 251-300

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • 301+

Votes: 33 15.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
On average how many flies do you carry in your fly boxes? If you have more please post how many you carry.

gregorykicks

Reaction score
I haven't been fishing long enough to own 50 flies in my life.. some day.. some day..

freeze69

Reaction score
i carry numerous boxes and flies. i just never know what i might be throwing for or at when i go out. so i've got flies of all different sizes and shapes.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
greenriverflyfisher said:
I carry between 800 and 1000. I try to always be prepared. Even then, I don't always have what I want.
Aint that the truth? I never seem to have the exact bug I am looking for.

Woolly

Reaction score
2 dry bug boxes: 100+
1 nymph box 100+
1 bugger box: 40+
1 streamer box: 30+
1 terrestrial box: 40+
1 smallmouth bug box: 30+
extra bugs at home thay haven't made the cut to the boxes yet: 50-100

It's all good, a guy can never have enough flies!:D

FISHN50

Reaction score
Like you guys I carry way too many flies & stuff that most trips I'll never use. I bought a chestpack & I dont use it because I can't fit everything I
think I'm going to need . One of these days I'm going to pick out 6 flies
& just go with them in a shirtpocket. I'm wondereing which of the 999 flies I won't bring.:biggrin: :D

Joni

Reaction score
Which Box!?:icon_wink

greenriverflyfisher

Reaction score
I have just one really big box. If I ever wade fish again I will need a little red wagon to carry it. I probably have 15 boxes within that one big box.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I assume that the question was about the flies that you carry on your person. I tend to fish the same rivers all of the time and only carry what flies that I am going to use. When fishing from my pontoon boat I use a chest pack and have 3 or 4 small boxes with the flies for the day. Now if you count the flies in the car, it would be a bunch.----Frank

jdgrubbjr

Reaction score
When wading, I generally carry one box containing approximately 72 dries, one box containing approximately 72 nymphs, and one box containing approximately 36 streamers. When tooning, I usually take four big boxes containing approximately 150 flies since space and weight isn't an issue, which I store in my side pockets. I used to carry one big box while wading until I lost one while taking a dunk several years ago in the backcountry. :icon_cry: I like my odds of having a fly box better with more than one box. :smile:

thredbo

Reaction score
A little while back I got fed up with carrying so much gear so I did a cull of my flies to get down to 2 boxes (200 flies) from the 4 fly boxes I would normally carry. This season I broke that down to a river box and a lake box.

I find that I have my go to flies so I keep two of each in a range of hook sizes, then I have a number of flies that I carry with me just in case and may only keep a couple of each in their most productive size. Initially it was tough keeping it down to 120 flies all up in each box, but I have never looked back and I am yet to be caught out with only one fly box.

FlyGal

Reaction score
I carry 300+ easy, yet it's always the fly hot off the vise that I always go for. :icon_roll

GRN

Reaction score
I've caught 90% of my trout all over the northeast in the last 15 years on 15-20 different flies...

Seriously, if you are carrying 300+ flies, you could probably benefit by paying more attention. That's insane.

webrx

Reaction score
I carry about 30 flies on my person, and have a few boxes in the car when I fish the river around here. I am generally only 5 minutes from the car but I have been thinking a lot like GRN lately and am going through what I want to carry with me. My fishing trips generally consist of 3 or 4 hours at a time and I find I am fishing one of 4 or 5 streamers (wooley buggers or sculpins, or wooley worms); 4 or 5 different nymphs (hares ear, caddis pupa, pheasant tail, scuds, prince) and 4 or 5 different dries (adams, elk hair caddis, ants, grasshopper, stonefly). put these together in various colors and a few different sizes and I am not sure there are any other flies I really need to carry. 15 to 20 patterns, 3 different colors (light, medium and dark browns for the dries/nymphs and white, tan or olive, and black for the buggers) and a few different sizes 12, 14, 16. and I thinnk this is my box I am putting together. I think I will leave some room for 4 or 5 flies that are the "hot flies of the week" either from the net here or the local fly shop. My biggest problem is I have been wearing a chest pack, and there is not a lot of room for fly boxes in it so I have to carry the flies in my shirt or wading jacket pocket, because of this, I need a couple small fly boxes for dries and nymphs and I put the streamers in the built in fly carrier in the chest pack.

I am going to continue to play around with this concept until I come up with something I really like, but that is it so far.

Dave

jclampwork88

Reaction score
I votes 300+ because I carry different stuff for the times of the year. I also carry 10 or more of each pattern so that is why i voted that way.

John