49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fish dries

3 6.12%
  • Fish it all.

46 93.88%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 80/20

1. Default Re: 80/20

Jim, I'm with you. There wasn't a question...just my long winded way of saying I now fish about 95% sub-surface, because I beleive above average size trout fish at least 95% of the time below surface. Its been a rumor in some circles I've traveled in that if you ask me what time it is I'll explain the history of time pieces and how they work before telling someone the time.
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Blog Entries

Wink Re: 80/20

I heard that "time", was a confidence scheme worked by the Swiss.
    Of course the Japanese took over that market with digital time......

Blog Entries

Default Re: 80/20

Ain't drop shottin' illegal? milt. Been fly fishing 16 years.
    Last edited by milt spawn; 05-18-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: time exposed
    "Thomas Jeff..." Senator Reisman (Sam Shepard) Swordfish

Blog Entries

Don't know milt.
    I just don't do it.
    Jim

Not to get off subject here but what is drop shotting?
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

I fish dries and nymphs and do well on both depending on the time of year . I think the biggest fish are caught sub-surface, But i do love the dry fly.
    I have been fly fishing about 31 yrs and still think its an in justice to the fish when i see a bait or spinner fisherman. Thats just me lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    I believe we are talking about added weight below the last fly or hook. By the book in CA it's technically illegal. CA Flyfisher magazine, last year, August(?), R. Cutter, Under the Alders. milt.
    "Thomas Jeff..." Senator Reisman (Sam Shepard) Swordfish

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    Drop shotting was developed by Bass tournament anglers from the West coast. It involves taking a hook and palomar knotting it on with the tag end being left long. Done right the hook with the tag end being pulled down and the running line pulled up, the hook stands straight out from the line with the barb up. If you tie it on wrong, you can run the tag end back down through the eye and fix the goof up without retying. Then on the end of line, you use a special drop shot weight. It has a small pinched top loop of wire you run the line through, end then push it into the pinched part. No knots needed and it can be moved. Typically you hook a plastic bait like a small plastic minnow or twister, etc. on the hook. End only. Then with the weight setting on the bottom, twitch the rod tip and make the nearly weightless bait dance like it's alive. You can mimmick this with a fly rod by tying your fly on in the same manner and placing a split shot on the end of the tag end. You may need to tie an overhand knot in the end of the leader to keep from casting the split shot off. You then need to do it more like Czech Nymphing, but instead of the nymph being heavy, the weight is on the end of the leader. Some purist fly anglers may see this as sort of cheating, but then again some may say the same about Czech Nymphing. I don't, not a purist.

I've fished something similar but the weight is the nymph with a soft hackle above it tied to the tag end of the tippet knot. I wouldn't call what I'm doing "cheating" anymore than a dry/dropper is. Its the same priciple just reversed. To each their own I guess...
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Blog Entries

im gonna say sub.
    when i was growing up in ak we used to fish salmon eggs.
    you cure em in borax for a few days and there you go. ugly-stick with a martin mg-72 multiplier spooled with 250 yds of maxima ultragreen 20 lb.
    throw in a an egg loop and some 3/0 gamakatsus and you got yourself a ball game

casey

ARFE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast